'Flash' Question

Posted by: Mike

'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 09:34 AM

Ok, this may be one of those 'dumb questions of the day'....
Everyone is lamenting the fact that the iPad (or the iPhone and the 'Touch') don't have 'Flash support'. But aren't those 'Youtube' videos all 'Flash'? And they play just fine on the iPhone and 'Touch'... confused
Posted by: Jim_

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 09:49 AM

The flash is being converted to some other format that can play on them on the fly. It's not really playing flash.
Posted by: carp

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 10:50 AM

I read in one of those iPad reviews that there is a new Flash version 11.1 or something like that coming out . According to the developer he says the new version will not be an issue with the iPhone OS and therefore Apple should support it ? ?

Anyway was just a mention in the iPad review , be nice if there was a supporting link
Posted by: neil

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 11:09 AM

Apple has an agreement with YouTube that has technology behind it to convert the videos into something that Apple portable devices can use.

Now, the long term solution is HTML5. YouTube actually already has a beta of that running, and you can check it out now. That's where Apple believes the future will be, and why Flash isn't "important".
Posted by: carp

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 11:38 AM

Thanks

So since it seems Adobe is coming out with another version of Flash , their gonna hang on to it instead of moving toward the HTML5 direction ? Kinda like a Beta -vs- VHS
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 11:59 AM

YouTube's HTML5 beta doesn't yet support full-screen viewing - they're working on it.
Posted by: Mike

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 01:17 PM

Quote:
Apple has an agreement with YouTube that has technology behind it to convert the videos into something that Apple portable devices can use.

Ok, that explains it! Thanks!
I've been wondering about that for some time. Every time I right-click on a 'Youtube' video, the 'About Adobe Flash Player'-thing pops up...
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 04:09 PM

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOHh0uzcuY[/video]
http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/watch-youtube-videos-in-html5/

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: 'Flash' Question - 01/31/10 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
YouTube's HTML5 beta doesn't yet support full-screen viewing - they're working on it.

And it doesn't work on Firefox yet! I'm not switching to Safari.

wink smile smile