8 or 32 GB touch?

Posted by: SgtBaxter

8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/23/09 06:53 AM

So here's the deal - going out tonight and getting a touch for the wife for christmas.

I read the 32GB touch has "improved performance", but haven't really found what the difference is. One guy here at work has the 8GB, can't say it's really lacking in performance and games work great.

Don't know if the 32GB is justified because she wouldn't fill up the 8GB with her music, and would probably just have puzzle type games.

So other than the storage space, are there really any advantages to the 32GB model, or should I save the bucks, go with the 8 and toss in an iTunes gift card?
Posted by: Mike

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/23/09 08:56 AM

Quote:
Don't know if the 32GB is justified because she wouldn't fill up the 8GB with her music, and would probably just have puzzle type games.

Had the same 'problem' here. The wife doesn't store a lot of music and/or games. so I went with the 8 GB. But then...I'm the proverbial 'cheapskate', and the 8GB is just a lot cheaper... grin

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/23/09 09:14 AM

Actually I think I figured out my own question. They weren't talking difference between the 8GB and 32GB, because besides storage space the only difference is the headphones with voice control.

They were talking difference between the 2nd Gen touches (8 and 16GB) and the 3rd gen touches. The 8GB in stores now is the 3rd gen with faster processor - but 6 hours less play time.

Think I'm going with the 8GB and tossing in a gift card for some games. Though I see MacMall does have a 2nd Gen 16GB for $220.. hrm...

Damn it, Apple! You need a 16GB for $225! Or, 16GB for $199 and then the 32GB!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/23/09 09:41 AM

Refurbed 16GB (2nd Gen) at the Apple Store on line. $199

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/23/09 04:35 PM

Bought her the new 8 gig on the way home. Setting it up with some tunes and apps now. smile

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/23/09 10:34 PM

Damn this thing is snappy! App store is a bit confusing to navigate though, IMO.

100,000 apps and 50,000 of them seem to be boobs of one kind or another. I tossed a bunch of free games on there, and some of her favorite tunes. Just how many farmville clones are there anyway? Oh, and the level app. I'm sure that'll come in handy for her. wink

Facebook app works great, despite about 50 reviews saying it didn't work on the touch. Maybe they had old ones. Facebook, MSNBC, IMDB, all her favorite websites have apps. Couldn't for the life of me get it to work here to connect to the net. Forgot to add the MAC address into router's allowed list... duh.

A mactech forum app would be sweet *wink wink*

Okay, have to stop playing with it. Can't put it down... ahhhhhhhhhh! Already had to delete iTunes receipt emails, I'll have to be on top of my game tomorrow when they send some more!

The old 20 gig 3rd gen with it's black and white text display looks like a dinosaur now. I see a 32 gig touch in my future. wink
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/24/09 08:21 AM

I love my Touch. Your wife will love hers. And Apple loves us both. smile

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/24/09 08:46 AM

Yeah, she'll be surprised. Went out this morning to 5 below and got a screen protector and silicon skin for $10. Target had some nicer ones, but they wanted $35!

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/24/09 09:29 AM

I got a protector on line somewhere (Amazon?) for cheap cheap. They're worth every penny smile

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/25/09 09:45 AM

Somehow when I put the screen protector on there was dust under it. Bah, I hate that.

She was totally surprised. I led her on a wild goose chase around the house starting with an empty box and note from Santa. I even spelled out the gift in the notes by coloring every "i" in red, "touch" in red. I even hid a note under the fish tank with the fish saying it's not under there any more than he eats apples, "podhaps" the dog has it - and she still didn't guess!

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/25/09 09:51 AM

Sounds like a great morning.

My screen protector has a little air bubble, which I hate. It keeps getting smaller, though.
Posted by: carp

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/25/09 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Somehow when I put the screen protector on there was dust under it. Bah, I hate that.

She was totally surprised. I led her on a wild goose chase around the house starting with an empty box and note from Santa. I even spelled out the gift in the notes by coloring every "i" in red, "touch" in red. I even hid a note under the fish tank with the fish saying it's not under there any more than he eats apples, "podhaps" the dog has it - and she still didn't guess!

LOL

Its not Easter you know laugh but must have been fun .
Posted by: Nana

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/29/09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Actually I think I figured out my own question. They weren't talking difference between the 8GB and 32GB, because besides storage space the only difference is the headphones with voice control.

What is voice control? I'm wondering why the 8GB earphones did not include a mic.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/30/09 05:24 AM

What is voice control?

Hold down your Home button for about 3 seconds...

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/30/09 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
What is voice control?

Hold down your Home button for about 3 seconds...

*scratching head* Have no idea what you mean. blush

I do not have a Touch. Just wanted to know why the 8gb version does not have a mic or vice control yet the others do?
Posted by: carp

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/30/09 02:30 PM

I could be wrong but I think the 8 gig version is a re-built / re-packaged model that did not support Voice .

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 12/30/09 03:31 PM

Thanks Carp. That would explain it.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: 8 or 32 GB touch? - 01/03/10 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
...Just wanted to know why the 8gb version does not have a mic or vice control yet the others do?
To make you question whether you should get the 32gb version.

I had the same questions when I got my iPod touch. I ended up getting the 32gb and I'm glad I did. It's amazing how quickly podcasts, photos and music fills these buggers.