Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/13/09 06:41 AM

For some reason, my iPhone roll can not be deleted from iPhoto. I have 80 photos in the roll. They are all ghosted...no thumbnails.

I first tried to download them...they were unrecognized.

I then tried to delete them via Image Capture...it shows the 80 images but I can not delete or download.

I deleted all of the photos from the iPhone but still no luck.

I rebuilt the iPhoto Library via iPhoto Library Manager...no luck.

I tried Phoneview and deleted the DCIM folder. The photos are off the iPhone but still show up after rebooting each.

I deleted the iPhoto preferences and still no luck after rebooting again.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/13/09 07:51 AM

Uncheck all photo album rolls/folders in the sync tab of itunes.

Sync

Delete all photos on the iphone using the trash can, one by one.

Sync.

Reboot to clear the computers cache of the photos.

HTH

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/13/09 10:47 AM

I did the syncing and deleted the 80 photos 1 by 1. However, I have nearly 700 in the other albums on the iPhone. Is there another way?

Thanks

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/13/09 04:18 PM

I thought those could be managed/deleted through iTunes or iPhoto. I don't have an iPhone BTW, it just seems you should be able to modify what you want to sync, and it would erase or add it from the iPhone, like it does with music. With music if you remove it from the playlist, it gets removed from my iPod.

I did find this. Use Image capture.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/14/09 04:36 AM

Wait, is this an iPhoto issue or iPhone?

Reading your original post, it sounds like an iPhoto one.

Quote:
For some reason, my iPhone roll can not be deleted from iPhoto. I have 80 photos in the roll. They are all ghosted...no thumbnails.

But, I *think* you are talking about removing photos off of your iPhone through iPhoto?

Is this correct: You hook up the iPhone, iPhoto pops up and you try to delete the photos from your iPhone through iPhoto?

If so, I think there may be a bug? I tried it myself...downloaded my photos into iPhoto, then this window pops up:

I click Delete, and they are still on my iPhone.

I checked with iTunes to see if there was a setting there to delete, nope.

So, as far as I know, the only true way to delete photos on your iPhone is to do it manually one by one. Sorry.

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/14/09 04:37 AM

Nope, apparently iTunes only handles photos that are in iPhoto. You can sync those up, but if you take photos with your iPhone, then you have to do what you suggested or manually.

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/14/09 04:42 AM

The problem is even after I removed the photos from the iPhone, the ghosts of the photos still show up on my computer. Both Image Capture and iPhoto still show that I have 80 photos on the iPhone but just the icons of images show up in Image Capture and iPhoto. When I go to delete or download from Image Capture, nothing happens and I can not remove the 80 images.

When I take new photos with my iPhone, the new photos will not show up on my computer due to the old 80 photos.

The other albums on my iPhone are okay.

Re: Can Not Delete iPhone in iPhoto - 10/14/09 05:45 AM

Get something like Snow Leopard cache cleaner (works with any flavor of X) and clean the caches on the computer.

If that doesn't work you might just have to reset the iPhone and in the future when you import pics let iPhoto delete them from the iPhone. From what I've been reading it's a long standing snafu with the iPhone.