iPhone as a camera

Posted by: polymerase

iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 04:00 AM

This morning went out fishing on the point and tried out the iPhone camera as a recorder of dawn. It's an OK camera but really the resolution is pretty low. Considering the tiny piece of glass it shoots out of it does an OK job.

The guy on the next point is doing the same thing I am doing. Casting for blues, maybe a striper. My other camera would be able to pick up the three light houses in the background.

A lobster boat cutting the corner around the point in front of me. Pointing ESE my other camera would be able to pick up Spain in the distance.

Posted by: Mike

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 04:12 AM

Quote:
...my other camera would be able to pick up Spain in the distance

Beautiful pix!
Spain?? Where exactly were these pictures taken?

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 04:31 AM

Some slight exaggeration. Nothing better to do but to fire up Stellarium and Google Earth I have a slight correction. (Since I have no fish to clean but I will get one at sunset.)

From Cape Ann (where I am north of Boston) the sun today rose at a compass reading of 62 degrees. Which translates to ENE and not ESE. But if you go to google maps and draw the line from Cape Ann out 62 degrees the first landfall is the coast of France 3,300 miles distant. But the coast of Spain juts out just south of there so if I really did have a super camera that could bend around the earth the Spanish coast would be the first to be seen at 3,000 miles.

What's even more interesting (I like this stuff, sue me) is I left out the fact my line to sunrise also transects the entire chunk of Nova Scotia. It is in the way and so is Newfoundland. One always gets the impression you travel straight across the Atlantic to get to France but that is the way you sail, not the way you fly. You sail across the Atlantic on a Rhumb line (same latitude) but flying to Paris in a jet you do a great circle which takes you straight across Nova Scotia. That is why I have been able to spot huge icebergs several times from my window flying back from Paris on the day flight.

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 04:40 AM

And I have been moved to the purgatory of
/ MacTech Magazine/Forums/ iPhone / iPod / iTunes iPhone / iPod Touch iPhone as a camera
by the overzealous moderators even though my post is not really about the iPhone or iTunes but really only about a sunrise.

If this was really about the attributes of the iPhone I would have put the post there. Honest. Since I mention a compass, Stellarium and Google Earth now where are you going to hide it? Put it in the Soapbox because Bush still sucks. ;-)

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 05:20 AM

As a resolution point of reference my daughter took this last summer pretty much same conditions with my Panasonic TZ5. The resolution is over the top prior to cropping compared to the iPhone.

Blown up original I can see my fishing line and the color of the lobster pot. (I caught a couple of stripers that morning, no keepers.)
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
And I have been moved to the purgatory of
/ MacTech Magazine/Forums/ iPhone / iPod / iTunes iPhone / iPod Touch iPhone as a camera
by the overzealous moderators even though my post is not really about the iPhone or iTunes but really only about a sunrise.

If that were true (about it being a sunrise topic) then you shouldn't have titled the thread: iPhone as a camera but rather something like Fishing in the morning or something like that.

But since you love to push the envelope and see what you can get away with, you titled it what you did and now you are complaining of me moving it?

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 07:08 AM

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 07:13 AM

? ok. I guess that is supposed to mean that you are disappearing from here? And I thought you had thicker skin than that...hmmph.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 09:15 AM

...even though my post is not really about the iPhone or iTunes but really only about a sunrise.

If this was really about the attributes of the iPhone I would have put the post there.
Uh huh.

Everybody else is going along with the plan, and the forums are being evaluated, but Neil is working on other aspects of his business right now, the ones that bring in the money that finance the whole shebang, our chat room will have it's time, patience.

When I read your post I took it as a comment on the iPhone's capabilities. In just about every sentence you mention the iPhone's quality. Your views and contributions to threads are valued, and you make a good pacer in trivia, it's too bad you need to stomp off while everyone else accepts the rules.

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 09:21 AM

Not stomping off just being my natural jackassy self. I know you wouldn't want it any other way.

As for pacing trivia I guess I am. Pacing the friggin' cellar. I haven't won a daily in three months. It's rigged I say. My IP address is not allowed to submit until at least a 130 seconds goes by. I got Oliver Stone on the case. It's a conspiracy!

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
? ok. I guess that is supposed to mean that you are disappearing from here? And I thought you had thicker skin than that...hmmph.

Now I get it. You thought my disappearing jackass was me stomping off? Forget that. I had that left over from some other jackass thing I did.

I'll stomp off right now and mow the lawn and go buy some lobsters. I'll be back later today to ream you all out. grin
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 09:32 AM

I'll stomp off right now and mow the lawn and go buy some lobsters. I'll be back later today to ream you all out. grin
Okay, that's better. That's the jackass we know and love.
Posted by: carp

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 10:59 AM

You could buy that boat and save money on buying lobsters laugh

Nice shots

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 11:51 AM

I'll buy them right off that boat at under 6 bucks a pound for two pounders. Buy the boat? A boat is a hole in the water in which you pour cash.

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 01:47 PM

Aren't you supposed to be buying us all some lobster?!

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 01:57 PM

Aren't you supposed to be buying us all some lobster?!

It would be better if you bought them wholesale from my brother. He'll FEDEX them right to your door alive and kicking.

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:01 PM

I called and asked if he had a jackass for a brother and he raised the rates!
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:02 PM

On the other hand ...

I like the metering ... two shots of my mom and her poodles attempting to merge as one -- first metered on Bella, the black dog, second metered on Marco, the white one :

Lighting also helps =)

And an attempt using the Pano app -- I fscked-up the matching because it was getting dark and I was literally shooting over my shoulder ;-)

Not the world's greatest camera, but not entirely shabby, either ... Although in all cases, these were superior to my Canon G9 because I didn't feel like lugging the Canon along ;-)

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:16 PM

I should have read the manual. Do you mean the little blue square not only selects the focus it also selects the metering?

I just need to take a few more photos with it and get used to what it does. Your shots are pretty crisp. The one thing it sure does blow away every other camera is it is always in your pocket. I've only shot one video. I need to use it more.

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:20 PM

I called and asked if he had a jackass for a brother and he raised the rates!
I have a whole passel of jackass brothers. You just confused him. You need another descriptor. The annoying jackass brother. Then you get the same discount I get.

Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:21 PM

Quote:
Do you mean the little blue square not only selects the focus it also selects the metering?

yep =)

I shot a 10-minute video of Marco's first encounter with a mountain stream -- I was going to edit it down, but I'll wait for the 3.1 update which won't destroy the original footage in the process =D
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:35 PM

Did you see the video i shot and uploaded to YouTube while in the supermarket?

Click it to see larger version at YT.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2mIZzSWh88&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Emactech%2Ecom%2Fubbthreads%2Ephp%2Ftopics%2F433090%2FStore%5Fopens%5Fat%5F6%5F35&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 02:58 PM

I'm on a network on a shoestring stretched across a tidal flat so it will have to wait until Tuesday. But I think I will shoot a few videos in the morning and check them out. I don't need clean intertubes for that.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/10/09 06:35 PM

I was just posting it so you could see the quality even after being compressed by YouTube.

Re: iPhone as a camera - 07/14/09 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I was just posting it so you could see the quality even after being compressed by YouTube.

I take it back. This camera does a pretty good job. Your video even after youtube compression is excellent. I've been looking back at the pre cropped images and the resolution is pretty high. The video is better than I get off my other camera with a bigger lens.

Now that I know about the blue box also metering I will take a few more photos.