3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS

Posted by: polymerase

3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 10:55 AM

Circumstances compelled me to upgrade by July 1 so now I have this iPhone. I knew what it would do but I am completely impressed. I was hoping that it would not be yet one more computer screen I have to stare at and actually it is cutting down on my computer time.

1) I can delete more junk mail faster on the phone than a computer.
2) The voice calls is as slick as I thought. No more have to listen to all my non deleted voice mails to get to the one I want to hear.
3) I already have four pages of free apps and none of them are games. Great stuff.

So what is your favorite must have app on your iPhone? There are too many to chose from.
Posted by: carp

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 11:38 AM

Hows that GPS and compass ?

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 11:58 AM

Pretty amazing. I got the phone about an hour before I jumped on a plane to DC so I didn't have the manual. Took me a while to figure out all I have to do is hit the "find me" button twice and it will kick the compass into gear.

A new hotel and I had time to kill so I walked down to the National Mall. One would think with all these landmarks sticking out you could not lose where north was but I missed my street. By using the map and compass it was too easy.

The real problem will be relying on this thing. I did that a lot the first time I went into the woods with a GPS. If you are looking down at some Gizmo and not paying attention you can still get screwed up. Because I was not keeping track of how trails met I was confused about which one to take on the way back off the mountain. If the batteries died I would have really been screwed. I always now take a map and compass.

I will try not to make the same mistake with this phone although it is very tempting to let it do everything. It found a good lunch for me and had wiki pages of every monument I stood in front of.

ps. Completely unimpressed with the World War II Memorial. Just a waste of granite. Nice fountain but the whole thing didn't do it for me. The bas reliefs were a joke and there is caulk in between the granite. Who made this thing? A hundred years from now it is not going to fit. It was a great War fought for a noble purpose. I get none of that from the quotes or the architecture. With George W Bush's name emblazoned on the entrance people will remember why.

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 12:24 PM

Quote:
If the batteries died I would have really been screwed. I always now take a map and compass.

Now that is a very good point - I can see some yahoos doing exactly that and getting lost

and
What the H3ll is Bush name on a WW2 memorial ? He was a bomber pilot but there are better names .
Posted by: DLC

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 05:31 PM

Have you tried the Voice control?

Mine sux !!

good for phone numbers but for iTunes .. it sux !!

I tried 3-4 exact titles and it didn't get a one right. frown

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC

Mine sux !!

Atlanta Southern Accent , maybe laugh

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/29/09 06:53 PM

Voice control hasn't made a mistake yet.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/30/09 04:57 AM

Ditto... Voice Control has not made a mistake yet.

Pretty awesome phone and I don't have any overheating problems.

GPS usually pinpoints to within 10-15 feet of my actual location.

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/30/09 10:56 AM

Since you travel allot maybe some of these would work for you ?

National Geo top 20 travel apps

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/30/09 12:01 PM

Thanks, a good read. I have some of these already, at least the free ones.

Next flight might seem like a good idea but when I miss a flight I have the 800 numbers of every airlines which I call while in line. Talking to a human always gets me the best flight.

UrbanSpoon is great. I even like using it in areas I think I know all the restaurants to try something different.

WeatherBug seems to be the cat's meow for weather apps. Radar and nice forecast and present conditions.

Google Earth. Amazing.

Room. Waitaminut. I need a separate app to remember my hotel room? Don't think so. I wrote it in my "notes" as I checked in. Really as long as I say it out loud three times I won't forget except the hotel last week did throw me a curve. It turns out it has a north and a south lobby that are identical. I walked in the wrong one and could not find my room. They really need to add a big plant to one of the lobbies.

Writeroom. I need something more than notes. This might be it.

Packing. An app to make a list for packing? A little OCD. I now go minimal. I carry one small carry on with my MBA, a couple pair of underwear and maybe one extra shirt. Socks in winter. Takes me about 9 seconds to pack.

But as of this week I am officially a stay at home curmudgeon. I might not have to get on another plane until next February. Yes!

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/30/09 12:32 PM

Cool

Marg was telling me she bought a Spanish translator app for her phone . Real slick you type in english say "wheres the restroom" and it speaks back in Spanish or type in Spanish it will speak back in english , whats cool too you can pre-save translations so you don't have to re-type them over and over . Great if traveling to a country that speaks very little english

The lobby story is funny
Reminds of the time I had a appointment on the 15th floor but the elevator only went to the 10th floor "HuH" so I tried the 2nd elevator and it too only goes to the 10th floor . So I walk back outside to check the building address and walked back inside to look for a building directory which there was none to be found . Turns out you ride the elevator to the 5th floor and walk down the hallway around a corner and catch a different set of elevators - laugh
Posted by: Jashue

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 06/30/09 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC

Mine sux !!

I tried 3-4 exact titles and it didn't get a one right. frown

From my experience, it doesn't work with song titles-- just artists. Try it again: Say, "Play songs by Michael Jackson" and sure enough, it will happen!

I think the voice control thing is just too cool. I have 311 contacts distributed into thirteen folders in my Address Book (my accounts separated geographically). It used to be a pain to seek out the numbers I needed while driving. Now-- I just state the number I need without issue.

Has anyone used the voice control function in conjunction with a bluetooth earpiece or with a car's bluetooth connectivity?

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 09/14/09 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: polymerase

1) I can delete more junk mail faster on the phone than a computer.

I accidentally found an easier way delete and it took until today to figure it out. If you swipe right with your finger on an email in a list a "delete" message comes up on the right directly under your finger. (To repeat this I thought you had to swipe starting on the right and it would work every once and a while. You have to start the swipe right way in the middle of the message title.)

Tap and gone. This is way easier to delete a slew of junk from the iPhone than it is on a laptop.

Does anyone have a link to these hidden features in the iPhone that are not obvious?
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: 3 year old RAZR to a iPhone 32GB 3GS - 09/15/09 12:17 AM

You can also hit Edit in the message list, highlight all the messages you want (tap on the circle on the left to toggle on/off), and then delete them all at once, or send them all to e.g. the Junk folder.

I find that's the fastest way to selectively plough through a load of new emails and sieve out the rubbish. Deleting each one individually takes a lot longer to run, especially if you're not on wifi at the time.