Aargh!

Posted by: NucleusG4

Aargh! - 06/13/09 06:58 PM

My brother is an IT guy and traded his BlackBerry for an iPhone just now. I told him about the new version being released next week and he's a bit bummed. Was wondering if anyone knows if he can trade up ... like when you buy an Apple computer they will bump you up.. of course that's prolly if you haven't opened the package.
Posted by: carp

Re: Aargh! - 06/13/09 08:59 PM

I believe there is a 14 day return policy ? or used to be

He must be a PC , IT guy ? right , I mean any Mac IT guy would have heard the news

Re: Aargh! - 06/13/09 09:04 PM

Yeah.. PC Guy.
Posted by: carp

Re: Aargh! - 06/13/09 09:12 PM

LOL

Yeah anyway tell him to check into it - Apple did have a 14 day return policy if you bought an item and , then there was a upgrade after the purchase

Which begs the question why did they sell it to him in the first place , without saying there going to be an upgrade like soon ?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Aargh! - 06/14/09 04:56 AM

Nondisclosure. Apple employees can't say a word about product releases.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Aargh! - 06/14/09 04:57 AM

Your brother is PCGuy!?

Re: Aargh! - 06/14/09 05:00 AM

NO.. my BORTHER is PC Guy!
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Aargh! - 06/14/09 05:46 AM

They can after they're announced. Pretty lame of the sales person not to mention the new models being released next week ...
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Aargh! - 06/14/09 06:17 AM

Apple has a 14 day return policy and 10% restock fee if the box is open. I would tell him to wipe all info and get the phone in as close to new condition as possible, put it back in the box with all the doodads, and go to an Apple Store.

He might very well get the restock fee waved since the new phone was officially announced. Tell him to wear his corporate ID on his shirt and ask nicely. The Apple Staff seems to have a lot of leeway when dealing with stuff like this. They do want to make sure everyone is happy with their purchase. The supervisors have the most leeway. Work up the food chain a bit.

[edit] Since the new phone is not in the store yet a swap cannot happen. Neither can an Apple employee take the old phone to start the swap. Once an amicable plan is established you then take the old phone home again until the new phone arrives even if that is more than 14 days. One has to keep a record of the conversations though. All you have to do is start the conversation before the 14 days expired that you want to swap.

If the plan is that a restock fee is necessary but then the new phone takes weeks to arrive you can swap that delay for removing the restock fee. The Apple employee will likely throw that in with no prodding. (I wasn't prodding when it happened to me.)

Re: Aargh! - 06/14/09 10:16 AM

I'm hoping that he got it at an Apple store... if he got it at ATT they have a no return policy on iPhones whatsoever.. at least they did when the 2.0 version was released.

Thanks.