Apple iPhone and AT&T?

Posted by: Mike

Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 09:56 AM

Is this the last year in the 'Apple/AT&T' partnership?
Doesn't it 'expire' in June this year?
Will Apple partner with any other carriers?
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 10:02 AM

I really have no idea, but that won't stop me from posting.
grin

I thought it was a 5 year partnership and a two year contract.
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 11:30 AM

You may be right

But its time for Apple to open the phone up , after all its seems At&T sells anyones elses phone so I see no loyalty from them anyway
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 01:00 PM

Apple agreed to certain terms, apparently allowing AT&T to sell other phones. So that's that--for now!

To be fair, AT&T did make some unusual concessions too:

* Agreeing to sell the iPhone on faith, even when Apple wouldn't show it to them

* Letting Apple change the sign-up process

* Allowing ringtones (and now music) that don't come through AT&T

* Allowing the initial iPhone to break with the subsidy model

* Allowing Apple to create and control all the iPhone advertising

So it's give and take. With us in the middle!

AT&T is awful and so is every other carrier, unfortunately. (In a given region, of course, one may have better coverage.)
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Is this the last year in the 'Apple/AT&T' partnership?
Doesn't it 'expire' in June this year?
Will Apple partner with any other carriers?

A part of the article here http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10004957-17.html follows below:

Quote:
According to USA Today, AT&T and Apple have agreed to extend their exclusivity relationship through 2009, meaning the next iPhone will be made specifically for AT&T service.

The report claims that Apple originally signed the deal with AT&T through 2008 and next year would start selling iPhones on other carrier services. But after AT&T offered a $300 subsidy on each iPhone instead of the revenue-sharing model that became such a hot issue last year, Apple decided it was in its best interests to stay on with AT&T for one more year and take the subsidy.

Undoubtedly some will say that AT&T may have made the best deal in quite some time and I tend to agree. But still others will say that Apple did the right thing in taking the money and although it's forced to sign up for another year with AT&T, it's still the right move.

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 01:40 PM

"Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile customers don't have access to the iPhone 3G and Apple is leaving a huge market out in the cold for another year." cry

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/10/09 07:20 PM

Right Mike

And Sprint is coming out with 4G service "not the old 3 G" this year with the new Palm phone. So maybe for the first 6 months Apple will be behind the power curve , sticking with At&T

Anyway , since the "rip offs" are catching up , I hope Apple does not drop the ball thinking its online store is the savour for the iPhone. Apple needs to get 4G and drop At&t as exclusive provider .. and then add those "donkey" basic things that other cell phones have like better cameras with flash , built in vedio yada yada

Sorta like
Apple has a great phone but the others have a few things thats better sorta thing <-- ya left with making a choice , yet again
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/11/09 08:09 AM

Quote:
AT&T is awful and so is every other carrier

And let's not forget AT&Ts decision to not let iPhone owners have insurance on the iPhone.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/11/09 09:26 AM

I think they do that because you can get AppleCare on it. Unless, does insurance on a regular phone cover loss/theft? If so, then yeah, that does suck that AT&T won't cover that.

Who would you rather work on it...Apple or AT&T? laugh
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/12/09 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Right Mike

And Sprint is coming out with 4G service "not the old 3 G" this year with the new Palm phone.

Although Sprint isn't looking too good financially:

Sprint Problems?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/13/09 03:49 PM

Quote:
Unless, does insurance on a regular phone cover loss/theft?

Yes, or if you drop it or break the flip lid, etc. AC only covers hardware type failures... not human error/theft types.
Posted by: macahol

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/13/09 07:37 PM

Or drop it in water,not covered..............its just toasted
when I went to apple store all I got was no help.......couldn't buy a new one without paying another at&t fee??????. Or wait for 5 to 7 weeks for a genius appointment.

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 01/13/09 08:00 PM

Got mad went to at&t store and bought a blackberry curve..........

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 02/01/09 07:20 AM

I have a followup
I really didn't like the blackberry so last Saturday I was going to bite the bullet & go back to the Apple Store and get me a new iPhone.
As a last ditch effort I plugged in the old one to my Imac and it came on, I guess two weeks was long enough for it to dry out; working fine.

From being totally underwater to working again, pretty amazing stuff. I still have apple care in case it goes wonky on me later. ( I don't think I'll bring up its bath though)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 02/01/09 08:42 AM

Most phones have something inside that changes color or something to tell when it has been wet.

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 02/01/09 09:35 AM

Oh well I guess I'll just enjoy it and not worry about it until something happens.
Maybe I can make it to the next gen iphone. I have to make it two years to upgrade anyways, unless they open up to other provders.

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 02/08/09 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Most phones have something inside that changes color or something to tell when it has been wet.

Right. And I cannot imagine that there won't be some corrosion on metal parts/contacts.
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 03/10/09 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
And let's not forget AT&Ts decision to not let iPhone owners have insurance on the iPhone.

That's right...other features not on the iPhone:

picture messaging

video messaging

bluetooth stereo

voice activated dialing

broadband tethering

copy and paste

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 03/11/09 11:59 AM

Ahhh come on , no one else has Visual Voice Mail - LOL
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple iPhone and AT&T? - 03/11/09 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Bryan
Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

That's right...other features not on the iPhone:

picture messaging

video messaging

bluetooth stereo

voice activated dialing

broadband tethering

copy and paste

No bluetooth synchronization for at least address book and calendar like every other cell phone has had for years.