Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible

Posted by: connorclyde

Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible - 12/11/08 09:13 AM

Hello. I have an new IMAC, which i use with a 30gb ipod. I need to buy my son a CHEAP mp3 player - not an ipod, perhaps 8gb.

Any knowledge on what will work on a MAC? So far, they are only Windows compatible.

thanks
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible - 12/11/08 06:36 PM

why not get the shuffle? It's cheap!
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible - 12/11/08 07:00 PM

Check Amazon--they have a big selection, and some are Mac compatible (even some that don't say so--but you don't want to risk having to return it by mail).

Amazon may also have cheap iPods from previous generations, and Apple has 8GB refurb Nanos for $99 (look for "Special Deals" near the bottom of store.apple.com).

Non-iPod players can often be used with iTunes, too. (But not with DRM music from the iTunes Store.)

Re: Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible - 12/25/08 05:12 PM

OK, so as it turned out, my son got a memorex 4gb mp3 player. I did the usb hookup and the IMAC did not even sense the new hardware ( is there a new hardware wizard , like windows?) Then i plugged it into my old dell. I was able to drag some tunes and photos to the player.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible - 12/26/08 05:42 AM

Any suggestions for what? If the iMac didn't see the player, then there's not much we can do to help.

Was iTunes running when you connected it? If not, open up iTunes and hook up that player and see what happens, if anything.

Otherwise, I guess you are stuck using your old Dell.

Doing some quick research on Memorex MP3 players, it looks like they are Windows only. For the price, you could have gotten a new iPod Shuffle.

my suggestion is to return it and get an iPod. wink

Re: Alternatives to IPOD are IMAC compatible - 12/26/08 04:28 PM

thanks John. I just don't care for the shuffle as it does not have a display screen. Since my kid is 8, i will just let this one rest!