Big debate going on over iPhones on Cape Cod...

Posted by: Anonymous

Big debate going on over iPhones on Cape Cod... - 10/08/08 07:13 PM

And the iPhone is losing 9 to 1...<br><br><br><br>"New ways of learning<br>"What's at stake is the best, most effective public education," Gradone said. "As we continue to teach in ways that we're comfortable teaching, kids are learning in whatever ways that are available to them."<br><br>Teaching educators about the technology their students are using is "absolutely right," said Sherry Terkle, a psychologist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge and author of a new book on the effects of technology on our lives, "The Inner History of Devices."<br><br>"It's not as though connectivity technology is the only technology out there, but it's a very big player and you want to know what a new generation is thinking," she said.<br><br>But she cautioned that adults should maintain "some sort of critical distance" from the technology, so they can continue to encourage appropriate use of technology and discourage habits that are damaging to young people.<br><br>"It's important to understand that this technology is shaping the sensibility of teenagers, who see it almost as an extension of themselves," she said. "I'm completely for giving (iPhones) to not just administrators but teachers. But we shouldn't kid ourselves that we will have the same experience."<br><br>Gradone's idea of giving iPhones to administrators is "incredibly sound and very appropriate," Barnstable Schools Supt. Patricia Grenier said.<br><br>"Knowing that this generation has grown up with (this new technology) is forcing us to look at our own behavior and asking are we really modeling for them," she said."<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: Big debate going on over iPhones on Cape Cod.. - 10/08/08 08:08 PM

One must always look at the options when one is looking at spending that kind of money. How else could they better spend that money. One iPhone could buy 6 classroom textbooks or more.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Big debate going on over iPhones on Cape Cod.. - 10/08/08 08:14 PM

True, but if a $200 iPhone could save them from buying a more expensive laptop, that equals more textbooks.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Big debate going on over iPhones on Cape Cod.. - 10/08/08 08:53 PM

Should iPhones be school funded NO - Laptops Yes<br><br>I do agree this day and age "print is dead" more and more I am reverted to visit a web site or download a manual or view one online. I supect 5 years from now students will only carry laptops and no printed books.<br><br>