Streaming movies to my HDTV?

Posted by: NucleusG4

Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 10:06 AM

I could just put them on my laptop and plug it into the tv... but is there a way to stream the movies to my TV....mpeg/divx and such types. <br>I have an AEBS and N protocol card. <br>Do I need Airport Express (no) or Apple TV?<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 10:26 AM

I'm thinking you will need an AppleTV. I don't think you can stream it any other way unless you used another mac hooked up to your TV.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: Pete

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 10:38 AM

Or something like an Xbox360 or a PS3. Both can act as a media server...<br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 10:41 AM

True, but are they as easy to set up? (serious question)<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 11:01 AM

OK... maybe a PS3. I just bought the Sony 52" Bravia w-series LCD. Wow! What a TV.<br>I need a Blu Ray player too, and wanted a Sony to keep everything the same family.<br>But they all get crappy reviews. Slow load times being the #1 complaint.<br><br>I could get a PS3 and have a gaming console that can surf... stream and play BR mvies and.. oh yeah... games.<br><br>I was thinking about an Apple TV... but how would I get my movie files into iTunes.... just drop them in the folder where alll the iTunes-purchased movies would reside? And iTunes wouldn't play those formats.<br><br>So many hurdles.....<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: Pete

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 12:02 PM

I only had to download a small program from Nullriver, install it on my Mac and the PS3 saw it almost immediately. <br><br>Waleed can vouch for it too — he downloaded it before I did.<br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/19/08 05:21 PM

So you're saying that with PS3 and this app I can stream movies to my tv?<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: zwei

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/20/08 01:15 PM

What kind of movies are you planning on streaming? Things bought from the iTunes store? If it's DRM'd stuff you'll have to stream it (and an AppleTV might be the best way to go) ...if the files aren't DRM'd you can just put them on a flash drive and copy them to the PS3. The PS3 only has a 802.11G card in it so you won't be able to stream HD stuff to it very well unless you connect it via ethernet. <br><br>Just note that you have to have the files encoded in a fairly limited number of codecs that work with the PS3. DivX and XviD work ...so do certain AVC encoded AVIs (h.264) <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/20/08 07:15 PM

DivX and XviD work ...so do certain AVC encoded AVIs (h.264)<br><br>Pretty much those... . will PS3 play Mpeg movies?<br><br><br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/20/08 09:38 PM

MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (PS,TS), H.264/MEPG-4 AVC, MPEG-4 SP<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/20/08 09:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The PS3 only has a 802.11G card<p><hr></blockquote><p>OTA MPEG2 HDTV transmission is ~19Mb/sec. so 802.11G should stream it fine. H.264 streams should be even smaller, maybe 10-12Mb/sec.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/20/08 09:55 PM

even better! I don't remember where I heard otherwise ...unless maybe they were talking about 1080p. <br><br>I may ask for that nullriver junk for christmas then... <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/21/08 08:51 AM

If you have to worry about specific formats/conversion anyway, I like the AppleTV route or the PS3 with Blu-Ray (in case movies on little discs ever catch on)!<br><br>But if you can settle for standard-def there's another option that's kind of cool for being so tiny:<br><br>Get a a $229 iPod Touch, and stream to that! I'm sure there are multiple ways to achieve that--but I know my EyeTV software does it. My question though is whether web video (which launches in the iPod's video player pretty much the same as YouTube or your own library video) will output to TV. I assume that anything in the iPod's video-player mode will do so--and with the component cabling, it might not look half bad. Not HD, but certainly as good as DVD I would think.<br><br>They even make various wireless remote options (Apple and 3rd party) for iPods these days. The trick may be in finding one that can be used WHILE supplying power and video-out (something that would pass through to the video connection kit).<br><br>You also get 8GB of local storage for movies, you get all your music, and you get photos on TV. A bit like an AppleTV without rentals Except you have to squint at the little menus on a 3.5" screen from across the room! And sometimes even have to abandon your remote and go touch the thing.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Streaming movies to my HDTV? - 09/21/08 09:01 AM

I just downloaded the medialink software for my PS3 again (you can try before you buy) and remembered why i deleted it the first time around. It works with pictures (slowly) and music (slowly) but I couldn't get ANY of my movies to play or even show up. It doesn't recognize any videos bought from the iTMS<br><br>If I'm gonna play a video from a different source file I can easily put it on my 4GB thumb drive and transfer it directly to my PS3s HD. Much more reliable. <br><br>Only thing I want is the ability to watch my Netflix and Hulu shows. I've heard they are working on both ...hopefully they don't ditch the effort. <br><br>Blu-ray via Netflix is the way to go! <br><br>zweisoft<br>