Great iPhone App

Posted by: Mac007

Great iPhone App - 09/17/08 09:09 PM

It's called Air Sharing and it allows your iPhone to be used as a portable drive. It's free for now but will sell for $6.99 soon. I've tried it and it's fairly simple to use. <br><br>Here's the link: Air Sharing<br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Great iPhone App - 09/18/08 07:00 AM

I tried it--seems to work well. I may archive some web sites to show people without needing any wireless at all. And I'll use it to make quick emergency backups and file transfers on the go, and to review project documents.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: eckhard

you mean this one? - 09/18/08 12:07 PM

<br>http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthre...p;o=0&part=<br><br>I still like it. <br><br>The only thing missing is a means of selectively password-protecting certain folders. Haven't found any app which does that.<br>And with a phone, which is so easily lost or stolen, this would appear to be a prime feature.<br><br>Date Box is supposed to have that, but I can't get that to install and the homepage is "under construction" which makes me believe I've been taken. :(<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: you mean this one? - 09/18/08 12:25 PM

Jaadu is another approach to file access. I wish you could tell it NOT to remember your VNC password, but there are still protections:<br><br>* Lock your phone, and have it erase if stolen and then 10 failed passcode attempts are made.<br><br>* Leave your Mac itself in a locked state, whether by screensaver or at the login window. Then every time you connect with Jaadu it will be as though you are there in person: you've got to enter a password to continue.<br><br>Jaadu has the benefit that you can run your Mac apps and EDIT any file--and you have access to ALL files and accounts on your Mac. However, it is overkill for some things, and VNC over WAN is not super fast.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: you mean this one? - 09/18/08 01:41 PM

[color:blue]However, it is overkill for some things, and VNC over WAN is not super fast.<br></font color=blue><br><br>Yes, I only need basic folder security.<br>There are some programs which consist of encryptable forms, into which one can enter account or password information. That's not enough. <br>Perhaps, someone will come up with one soon.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mac007

Yup that one. - 09/18/08 03:59 PM

I must have missed that particular post. Either that or my memory is getting worse. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Yup that one. - 09/18/08 11:58 PM

<br><br>I have since asked the author, whether he would consider adding a folder-lock feature. He already responded and felt that was a great idea. So, perhaps we'll soon have even greater functionality.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>