iPhone vs. Linux

Posted by: Nagromme

iPhone vs. Linux - 08/19/08 11:14 AM

A slice of Web-browsing activity data--from July, BEFORE a lot of the recent iPhone 3G sales:<br><br>http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8<br><br>Even in July, people only browsed the Web from Linux four times as much as from iPhones! That's amazing to me. The iPhone is approaching one of the big three DESKTOP platforms. I assume that includes the Touch also, but it's not clear.<br><br>I don't recognize any other mobile platforms on there for some reason, so I don't know where they rank (IIRC they're all far below the iPhone in Web usage). But FWIW this other July chart shows browser share (all versions of Safari lumped together apparently) and mobile browsers do appear: Opera Mini, Danger, Blackberry and Blazer I recognize.<br><br>http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Nagromme on 08/19/08 11:19 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/19/08 11:27 AM

That's "old" news. iPhone has hit .31%<br><br>iPhone web usage<br><br>Devours market share<br><br>

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/19/08 03:33 PM

And AppleInsider just posted an article stating that the iPhone has now reached 40% of Linux's share <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/19/08 04:25 PM

That's pretty amazing!<br><br>Canada isn't a very big market for the iPhone but I'm astonished how many I see around town. They're everywhere it seems.<br><br>

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/19/08 09:10 PM

Funny--I live in a top-50 US city, with at least one Apple Store, tons of AT&T stores, and good 3G coverage. I've never seen anyone with an iPhone 3G, and only twice have I seen people with the original iPhone. Ever. I've never seen anyone with a Touch.<br><br>I will say the Apple Store remains packed with interested parties, though. And I do see tons of people carrying other iPods, or various Mac laptops.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: carp

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/20/08 09:07 PM

OMG your in a PC winnie town - move NOW<br><br>Just Kidding<br><br>I myself do see iPhones in use from cross professions - like jet mechanics too construction workers , yada yada <-- keep in mind that these sightings where people in very small business . Now a large corporation has already invested a huge cash fund in "Blackberries" for example for their executive staff and will not change this quickly <br><br>I do bet that they are looking at the iPhone features and MobleMe is the killer . Executives need their push email , without that feature the enterprise iPhone is dog meat .<br><br>

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/20/08 09:34 PM

I envision most iPhone enterprise deployments sticking with Exchange rather than MM for now.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/20/08 10:17 PM

Yep thats 100% correct - Apple needs to beat MS licensing scheme "first" and get push mail working fast , otherwise its a dead end for business . Certainly and I see it all the time BlackBerries for corporate does not work all the time and is clumsily to use as well. But Apple going out the gate with MobileMe is extremely embarrassing <br><br>

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/21/08 01:25 AM

Is Apple touting MobileMe to enterprise customers? I got the impression they were aiming that at consumers--"push for the rest of us." Meanwhile supposedly Exchange and iPhone work together just great.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/21/08 04:53 AM

You are correct. MobileMe is for consumers. Exchange is a separate function.<br><br>

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/21/08 09:31 PM

Yes that is correct - But Apple needs to disconnect from MS ExChange at some point or forever be depended on MS - MobileMe is that baby step into that direction , kill Exchange then Apple will be a true enterprise solution<br><br>IMO<br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/23/08 04:38 AM

<br>Could it be that a portion of the Linux users are surfing "stealth" and announce themselves as PCs?<br>Of course, there are gazillions of Linux machines, which aren't even online.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/23/08 01:04 PM

Some portion surely are--but sites don't check platform so much as browser, right? So people would be more likely to spoof the browser than the OS I would think.<br><br>But when you spoof, say, IE, does that also spoof the OS identifier? I've never checked.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: SteveS

Re: iPhone vs. Linux - 08/27/08 02:42 PM

"But Apple needs to disconnect from MS ExChange at some point or forever be depended on MS - MobileMe is that baby step into that direction , kill Exchange then Apple will be a true enterprise solution"<br><br>Unfortunately, transitions of that magnitude don't usually work that way. I think Apple is doing a good job with providing alternatives to Outlook. Mobile Me is really a small piece of that. More important would be the work Apple is doing with regards to Calendar services, etc. The office environment is not just about e-mails, but more about scheduling meetings, etc.<br><br>Anyway, a more likely transition to Apple servers would be to get a majority of clients (PCs) to be Mac based. The only way to do that is to have Exchange server support. Once Macs out number PCs in an organization, then you can rip out the Exchange server infrastructure. It would be much more disruptive to keep PCs on the desktop and remove the Exchange server in place of Apple's mail server and calendar server, etc.<br><br>