i did it

Posted by: FSM

i did it - 08/08/08 07:23 PM

i was in the mall to check on using my iPhone in Europe when we go in a few weeks. then i walked past the Apple Store . . . and entered. i walked out with a new 3G iPhone. they told me i just plug it in and iTunes will take my old iPhone info and let me restore it onto the new iPhone. didn't work that way. it told me the new iPhone OS wasn't up to date, so i updated it and then it moved data to the new iPhone but it wasn't the restore from the old iPhone. so my contacts were the ones i selected for the iPhone -- it was every contact i had. every calendar. no music, etc. i had to sit and customize the new phone. the way it was explained to me is that the new iPhone would get everything from the old iPhone (e.g., favorites, settings, and everything would be the same). didn't work. was i supposed to put the sim card from the old iPhone into the new iPhone? they didn't tell me that at Apple. ah well.<br><br>but i am going to sell my old iPhone. in the meantime, it no longer works for calls (no service), but it has become an iTouch. i can use the apps i downloaded and i can use our home Wi-Fi network to surf the web and all that jazz -- even my email accounts are working on both phones with Push working on both. maybe i'll keep it and let my kids use it so they stop asking for our iPhones. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: i did it - 08/08/08 07:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but it has become an iTouch. i can use the apps i downloaded and i can use our home Wi-Fi network to surf the web and all that jazz -- even my email accounts are working on both phones with Push working on both. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Now that's interesting.<br><br>Can it still dial 911? Probably, all phones are supposed to be able to whether they are active or not, SIM card or not. My old RAZR can, sans SIM.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: eckhard

caveat emptor .... - 08/09/08 02:25 AM

<br>... absolutely DO take a car charger along, because the iPhone G3 devours battery power at an alarming rate. There are oodles of laments across the web.<br><br>It is indeed somewhat disappointing, because the iPhone invites using and showing it. But with mixed use - UMTS on, 3-4 calls, a few times checking mail, getting online for 1/2 hour or so, showing off a few pictures at the bistro - I hardly ever get more than 6 hours out of the battery.<br>Just using it as an iPod (with G3, location services, and WiFi disconnected) it gets a day or more, but as soon as you actually use it, be prepared to watch that indicator go down.<br><br>Since I carry a bag with me anyway, I already carry additional camera batteries. So, I am considering this: http://www.iphoneck.com/product.php?productid=1&cat=1&page=1<br><br>Nothing worse than having a toy die when you really want to play, ain't it?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: caveat emptor .... - 08/09/08 03:08 AM

Thanks for that link. I've been looking for a battery extender.<br><br>The iPhone does indeed go through the battery quickly but I've found if you turn off 3G whenever possible you can easily extend your time by 30% or more, depending what you're doing. <br><br>My daughter was having problems so we figured out what she was doing with her iPhone. Turning down screen brightness drastically, turning off PUSH and only turning on 3G when needed resulted in her only having to charge overnight. Games and movies suck the dickens out of the battery so some kind of charger or extender is a necessity if you are doing these things on your iPhone.<br><br>

Re: caveat emptor .... - 08/09/08 06:18 AM

i have to pay $20/month for 20 MB of data usage while in Europe. so i can't use my iPhone too much (i bought a new GPS with European maps so that should help). i was going to ask if the car power outlets were the same in Europe as here in the USA (the round kind). if so, then i have a charger for the car already.<br><br>i sold my car the other day so i'll be riding the bus to work when i go. the ride takes about 40 minutes (so almost an 1 1/2 hours there and back). my old iPhone would have its battery drain pretty quickly as well. my iPhone is a year old and i go from a full battery to about 1/5 power in less than a day and have run out a few times along the way when i really needed to get back online more. my wife's 1st gen. iPhone can go days without being recharged. she obviously didn't need an iPhone. <br><br>thanks for the extender link. 3 weeks and 3 days until touch down in Frankfurt. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>

Re: caveat emptor .... - 08/09/08 07:02 AM

<br>12V car jacks are the same anywhere ..... <br><br>Where are you renting the car? Right in Franfurt? If in Italy, you might ask if you could get one with Autogas (LPG), because in France, Belgium, Germany, Italy and Holland, LPG is very widely distributed and is only 1/2 to 1/3 of what petrol costs.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: caveat emptor .... - 08/09/08 07:32 AM

i bought a Renault 7 seater (Diesel -- Grand Scenic) using a special program for non Europeans: <a href="http://www.renaultusa.com/">http://www.renaultusa.com/</a> -- they buy the car back when we're done in 6 weeks. the car costs about $44,000 new. my total cost will be about $2,200 -- much cheaper than renting. it's really a pretty good deal.<br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: Mac007

Here's another link to a battery extender - 08/09/08 11:08 AM

Mophie Juice Pack <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Here's another link to a battery extender - 08/09/08 01:24 PM

<br>Interesting... but that one I would have to see and feel before ordering.<br>Seems pretty radical. ;)<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Here's another link to a battery extender - 08/09/08 03:17 PM

There are several iPhone battery packs, and I haven't seen one I really liked yet, but I DO like the idea battery than the idea of swapping batteries. I like that you have the choice of thin-and-powerful or bulky-and-powerful-and-long-lasting! (But still not that bulky compared to most smartphones--with their smaller screens and poorer 3G battery life!)<br><br>I'd want one that clips to the back with only minimal bulk at the top/bottom/sides--just enough for a dock connector. A hole for the camera of course. And I'd want it to have its OWN dock port pass-through (all pins/functions) so I could charge it with the SAME able whether using the pack or not. Most batteries seem to need their own USB cable.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net