Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone

Posted by: Mac007

Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone - 07/15/08 06:59 PM

The full story<br><br>This means there will be cut and paste, someday just not now.<br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone - 07/15/08 07:44 PM

I agree, that's pretty certain.<br><br>I expect the SDK (together with the app store) has been taking up the vast majority of Apple's iPhone dev resources. As that settles down, they can get back to other enhancements to the OS.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone - 07/15/08 08:18 PM

Which makes me think I am going to wait a few more years before getting an iPhone. Not that the iPhone is cool but I can live without it right now. And this is an object which is going to go through so many improvement iterations that there will always be buyer's remorse unless you can whip out your Visa for the newest version. (I would rather whip that Visa out for Obama.)<br><br>GPS right now sucks on the iPhone. A nuvi or anything from Garmin or Magellan knocks the iPhone GPS socks off. Any point and shoot camera worth a couple of bucks blows the camera away. Then a RAZR blows the size of the cell phone away. <br><br>Now one could say that I am carrying around a GPS, a camera, and a cell phone and the iPhone does it all. You're right. But the iPhone does not do it well. It would be cool that I only carried one gadget but I can live with that if the gadgets I carry are better than the single. The RAZR by itself blow the GPS away in the iPhone.<br><br>But it will be amazingly successful and I am glad they are raising the bar.<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone - 07/15/08 09:07 PM

Shut up already and do your Trivia today.<br><br>Congrats on the new digs BTW.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone - 07/15/08 09:15 PM

Your right you should wait a few years for an iPhone because it is never intended to take the place of a Numix camera nor will it ever. The iPhone was never intended to take the place of a stand alone GPS unit either<br><br>Yes stick with the RAZR hi-rez touch screen , will continue to blow you away with GPS for years to come. <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Apple explains why no cut and paste on iPhone - 07/16/08 06:50 AM

My trivia scores this month are as if I had been using an iPhone. Bottom of the barrel. Screw it I'm going to the beach.<br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

never mind your whipping preferences .... - 07/16/08 09:49 AM

<br>[color:blue] (I would rather whip that Visa out for Obama.)</font color=blue><br><br>-- yeah, yeah sure ... but the GPS isn't all that bad on the iPhone.<br><br>Clearly, it isn't going to replace a full-motion car unit, but for walking around, it is just fine.<br>I tested it downtown, which is where I would want to use a portable GPS. I hate it, when you are in a strange city, walking about until that sick feeling hits you ..... where the heck is the car!?<br>If the iPhone manages in Berlin, it'll do in Paris, Rome or Vienna. Besides, the TomTom or Garmin units have lousey battery life and never mind asking them to import directly from Address Book. So, GPS has been a pleasant surprise.<br><br>The camera, well yes, 2MP are a tad backward (and NO video, for crying out loud!) but at least the lens seems okay and colour balance as well. Something funny today, which also highlighted why Apple needs to allow for MMS instead of having pictures only sent via eMail: On a Panasonic poster today I noticed the following: "For further information, photograph and MMS this poster to 4242". So, they clearly assumed that everybody these days can do that. ;)<br><br>I always carry a shoulder-bag with me, anyway, but try and keep it as light as possible, of course.<br>The iPhone handles iPod, eMail, Telephone, city guide. I also carry a wonderful pair of foldable Sennheiser phones, and since that Lumix thread here, I have that one on my to-get list, since my Canon is too heavy for everyday carry.<br><br>For very light travel, I found a nifty small soft corduroy case with removable lanyard. It accepts just the phone with its earplugs, a credit card and car keys .... so, if I just want to travel very light, it'll still get me home. ;)<br><br>Copy and Paste would be great, but first give us PDF reader and then OpenOffice. (Back in my Palm days, I had my entire accounting and so on with me) .... but perhaps we should not burden the thing with too many practical tasks.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: never mind your whipping preferences .... - 07/17/08 05:35 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Clearly, it isn't going to replace a full-motion car unit, but for walking around, it is just fine.<p><hr></blockquote><p>But why not?<br><br>As much as I hate Verizon, their GPS Navigator is second to none, including those dedicated car units. All the bells and whistles, but it will also even send text messages to your destination, or call them and give them updates on where you are and when you'll arrive. Plus since my RAZR is always on, you don't have to sit there and wait for it to acquire satellites, it's always ready to go.<br><br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: eckhard

Re: never mind your whipping preferences .... - 07/17/08 10:46 AM

<br> I already have two GPS units .... "Emily" a Becker CD Deck, which was in the car and still works fine, then "Werner", a TomTom (Dutch), which I use in my car and on my bike (waterproof) and now the iPhone (doesn't have a name), which is merely there for finding the car and for using Google Maps for sight-seeing. That it'll do very nicely with that bright punchy screen.<br><br>Perhaps, down the road there will be convergence ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>