first 2 days with iPhone.

Posted by: eckhard

first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/13/08 02:07 PM

<br>my other handy contract just ran out, my daughter has had her greedy hands on my SE K880 for ages and since I hardly use a handy for calling, I can get by with the 49 data and UMTS flat "cheap-o plan" plus 149 for the 16GB phone. My monthly costs haven't changed. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have paid any more for it. <br><br>First impressions: <br>It sounds better than the first edition and the screen resolution is super for showing photographs. Surfing is okay for brief stints, because tapping for magnification works okay when one wants or needs to quickly check the news, etc. However, I couldn't possibly imagine watching a movie on it, because with video, the pinching motions don't work.<br><br>For the most part, the synching went okay. It is weird, though, to have to run everything through iTunes, and the manual isn't exactly clear on some aspects of this either. I ended up clearing the memory several times, before truly understanding, how the different programs, notably iPhoto and iTunes interact. By the same token, I haven't been able to download any of the free apps .... ah well, there must be some things to be discoverd yet, like how to take my SPAM rules from the MacBookPro over to the iPhone ... or how to create the mailboxes. Maybe I'm just missing something.<br><br>Processor speed seems adequate. With some 12GB of music loaded, cover flow just hesitates for a second at the start. From then on it is quite smooth. <br>For me, the iPod function will probably be the most useful. Since it has a proper headphone socket now... the ear-buds that come with it are marginal, of course ... I can use better phones and can see taking the iPhone as a portable juke box along with a mini-to-RCA cable. The SonyEriccson could do that as well, but one needed an adapter cable and I just hate stuff like that.<br><br>Because of the slick shape and material, it could definitely use some kind of strap attachment. Slippery devil.<br><br>I find it hard to understand why composing notes or eMails wouldn't be allowed to benefit from the horizontal screen and keyboard layout, which is so neat for the browser and image viewer. Perhaps a software update.<br>It would be nice to have the iCal colour coding maintained as well. With such a screen, it shouldn't have been a problem.<br><br>GPS works great and having it use the contacts in Address Book makes it fun. My car can do that of course, but the iPhone could come handy as a navigation aid on bicycle or foot. I shall definitely enjoy that feature next time in Rome or Paris, trying to find our parked car. wink <br><br>Overall, this is definitely a two-hand appliance, compared with my SE. No way one can thumb out SMSs the way kids do.<br><br>Also, I can't help feeling that the iPhone would have been a far more useful item with a larger screen. As it is now, it is rather large for a handy, and yet, one has to squint to see how great the stuff could look. smile Indeed, while I find the thing quite nifty, I do relish when I lay it down and get back on the larger screen. (Yes, I know, the iPhone is a phone!)<br><br>In two years, the gods willing, I can pass this thing on to Katrina and hopefully, by then there will be a family of iProducts to chose from.<br>Gimme screen space, Mr Ive!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/13/08 02:47 PM

Wow, is it too late to take it back?<br><br>Honestly, from what you've described, it sounds like you made a mistake. Good luck with your purchase though and hopefully you will find more use for it than your daughter, which I have no doubt, she would give her eye teeth to be able to take it to school for show & tell.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: margadagio

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/13/08 03:05 PM

I'm loving my iPhone. I don't have any problem with the screen size. Perhaps in a few years that might be the case. <br><br>As far as I know spam rules and creating new mailboxes are done with Mail on your Mac. When you plug your iPhone in, everything syncs.<br><br>Anyway, congrats. I must admit I'm surprised you got one.<br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/13/08 03:31 PM

<br>No big deal, since I needed a new phone anyway, which - as I wrote - I use only sparingly. Those 150 seem appropriate.<br>Besides, I had made a quick $6800 on aapl this Spring - from $119 to $187 - so, I figured I'd pay some back. ;)<br><br>Surprisingly, Katrina isn't hot on the iPhone at all. <br>She loves her iBook and would immediately go for a new laptop, but right from its introduction, she has found it too gaudy and hardly gave it a second look, when she came back from Britain today. (Class trip)<br>The camera on the SE is what she is after. 3.2MP with true AF and a flash. And video, of course. <br>She has "The Magic Flute" and "Don Giovanni" on it, but most of the time, she listens to radio .... so, nope, she is even weirder than me! :)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/13/08 03:54 PM

<br>The screen is fine for controlling the apps, or for shorter periods, but yes, at my age, staring at such a small item isn't joy.<br><br>I transferred all the eMail accounts, but the rules and mailboxes didnt follow, nor can I see a setting for them inside of Mail or iTunes, which does the mail synching. Weird.<br>So, now, when I check mail on the phone, I get all that stuff .... bummer.<br>At least, one can delete multiples now, which the first software didn't allow.<br><br>I managed to load some apps .... voice memos is quite neat .... the German download was acting up. <br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/13/08 07:50 PM

[color:blue]she has found it too gaudy and hardly gave it a second look,</font color=blue> - my grand daughter said the same thing and I believe Katrina and Kai are about the same age so maybe its a "generation" thingy ??<br><br>Anyway , I too is surprised you bought an iPhone<br><br>Been thinking about the lack of some stuff like the ability for "flash player" on web sites and you mention "video" or even live video <--- I am not sure HOW this would effect users data plans ? ? ? I mean can you imagine millions of users up loading live video and down loading flash intensive web sites over a "cell network" <-- nada --> maybe thats why they have been crippled for now.<br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 04:18 AM

<br>[color:blue]my grand daughter said the same thing (the iphone is gaudy) and I believe Katrina and Kai are about the same age so maybe its a "generation" thingy ??</font color=blue><br><br>My regards to Kai, because I was already wondering, how different Katrina might be. She says the iPhone screams "look, how cool I am!", making it about as uncool as it gets. ;)<br>With OSX I never used the grey feature, with the iPhone it would be a blessing. <br><br>However, one doesn't have to display it openly and if I keep it (2 weeks return policy), it will likely be because of the nifty GPS-Maps-Address Book connection, which I believe will come in handy (pun intended), and the photo display.<br>Flash doesn't concern me all that much, because I wouldn't be using the iPhone as some primary browser and I read somewhere that a video-hack had been available before, which might also come back. <br>I just downloaded a n/c voice recording utility, which is also quite useful and if someone hacks the phone's keyboard to use the horizontal mode as default, I'd be delighted. <br><br>No product is 100% and that includes the iPhone. This one is an improvement over the first one, so the next ought to be better again. And 150 is a justifiable price point, when you consider the price of an iPod, which I would never have purchased on its own.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 04:55 AM

Although I had wanted a video iPod, I'd been holding off waiting for the iPhone. I finally have what I want. I didn't consider the price of the iPhone too high and now that our cell carrier has smartened up their data plan, the monthly cost is reasonable.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 06:42 AM

A very narrowly defined generation, then. I just spent both weekend days with incoming freshmen and rising college seniors--16 to 18 year olds, in other words--and everyone I talked with said something about dying to get an iPhone. My son, age 19, would love to have one, and is deadly jealous of a roommate who has a first generation iPhone.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 06:47 AM

Well, I think that as kids get older they get into more gadgetry, moreso with boys than girls. The iPhone is meant for older kids/adults anyway. There is no way I would get an iPhone for someone under the age of...oh, probably 16 at the youngest.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 07:11 AM

iPhone, my thoughts:<br><br>-Too slippery. I have a rubbery case from "Incase" that supplies the much needed grip. <br><br>-Easily the worst sounding cell phone I've ever used. Sometimes (for no aparent reason) earpiece becomes over-modulated, which leads to a harsh, splattery sound. <br><br>-You almost HAVE to use two hands to use this phone. Texting is definitely a two handed proposition. <br><br>-When you're texting, the way to "go back" to your list of text messages is to hit the "messages" button at the top left of the screen, kind of like "going back" when surfing the internet on a browser. I can't tell you how many times, after listening to a voicemail, I instinctively hit the top left hand button to "go back" to my favorites list, only to be taken to the voicemail Greeting screen. <br><br>-Can't text a picture.<br><br>-Can't highlight, copy and paste text. <br><br>Now for my biggest complaint:<br><br>-Total lack of voice command dialing. Seems like an obvious service to have for the iphone. I have no idea why it's not. <br><br>Now for what I love:<br><br>-Email always available. (push email - not as good as BlackBerry, though). <br>-Calendar<br>-(almost) Full internet<br>-Video. <br>-Camera<br><br>***************<br><br>nuttin'

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 09:16 AM

<br>1) slippery ..... yeah, I shall try and find a silicone sleeve for it. Also would probably stop it from sliding out of the shirt pocket while bending down to greet the dog<br><br>2) the sound is much improved over the first edition. Also goes for the iPod section.... sounds much richer than the old one.<br><br>3) yep, thumb action is history. Mine doesn't even let me swipe-wake it with the thumb, has to be the right index finger.<br><br>4) copy paste would be a basic, really, especially when working with URLs etc.<br><br>5) Still haven't found a means of applying the rules from my Mac.<br><br><br><br>Other than that, and especially iPod and GPs functions, it is worth the 150 ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 09:25 AM

<br>At 13, Katrina loves Mac computers - has been using them since age 5 - and gets around effortlessly on both the iPhone and SonyEricsson .... she has a Wii, a PS3, a DS L, she records life music and uses scanners and drawing pads .... so, clearly, it isn't as much a gadget question as a matter of style. She simply finds the iPhone too ... ahem ..... chique.<br><br><br> <br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 09:36 AM

Wow--I'd never give up ease of use just to avoid style <br><br>(And really the iPhone is very minimalist--it's "flashiness" comes mainly from the fact that is IS an iPhone and thus well-known. But it's surely function over form, as it should be.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 10:01 AM

[color:blue]t's surely function over form, as it should be</font color=blue><br><br>Das Bauhaus Prinzip "Form follows function" would probably have selected a less slippery material for the back panel, and much of the iPhone's flashiness comes from the overly large and bright icons which draw more attention than need be. <br>No way of reducing that pin-ball machine look .... loud and garish, like the diamont Rolex on the real estate agent's wrist. ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 10:02 AM

Oddly, as I was trying to explain to my sceptical girlfriend, I don't find the iPhone 'beautiful', I just want one because it's incredibly functional compared to any phone I've had so far. It's a nice design, but that's as far as it goes for me. I've made myself a stern promise, though, that I'm not going to get one until I have a job again (I just got sacked for being off sick for 2 days during my initial probational period in a new job).<br><br>As someone mentioned the 'unlocking it with the right index finger', can you tell me if you can unlock it with the left? I'm very left handed, and it'd be annoying if the interface was southpawphobic.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 10:20 AM

<br>left or right work equally well..... my daughter is a south-paw.<br><br>But it takes two hands.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 11:19 AM

Two hands is fine, I'm a two handed texter anyway - it was just the thought of gestures that assume you're right-handed, like some of the scrolling ones built into my trackpad's software.<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 11:29 AM

2 hands? <br><br>If the iPhone is exactly like the Touch, I can hold it in my right hand and use my thumb to unlock it. And I don't have overly large hands either.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 11:40 AM

<br>Not here.<br>It works, if I move my thumb very slowly and deliberately, but quite often, the slider just sits there and bounces back ... mocking me. ;)<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 11:50 AM

Mine will do that if I am in a rush and don't put my thumb on it exactly or my thumb moves upward.<br><br>but then I just do it again and zip! It's unlocked.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 12:48 PM

I had a chance to try Marg's new iPhone and did notice the unlock slider requires a different effort than my iPod touch. It's not as easy as I would have thought, requiring a more pronounced and definitive movement.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: carp

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/14/08 10:56 PM

Well<br>Giving that the iPhone would look like a 2 handed phone because you hold the phone in one hand and touch the screen with the other hand.<br><br>Now<br>Watching executives with a BlackBerry or BlueBerry or StrawBerry or whatever - fumbling with the buttons with one hand or two hands makes them look like frigging CLOWNS. <-- Gheee takes you that long to make a multiple conference call ??<br><br>Anyway<br>With the right hands , I am sure a person can make the iPhone a one handed device. I am sure once I buy one my "thumb" would learn the way.<br><br>

glad, I'm not imagining it - 07/14/08 11:10 PM

.. since Marge's phone does it too.<br><br>You describe it well ... and that deliberate action can take longer than doing it with the other index finger.<br>Interesting. Perhaps a cheaper screen ... since the last one was German. ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 03:07 AM

I don't have any problem. I guess it takes a woman's touch. <br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 03:42 AM

[color:blue]I am sure a person can make the iPhone a one handed device</font color=blue><br><br>no, I don't think so.<br><br>One-handed texting is impossible. Katrina, who like most kids her age can write an SMS without even looking, was completely stumped with the iPhone. You MUST look at the screen, you do NOT have tactile feedback, and - quite frankly - I find a querty lay-out pretty silly in that context. It isn't as though you could ever touch-type. ;)<br><br>But as a two-handed device, it does have some nice points. I find writing notes - deliberately, unhurriedly - quite okay, which makes the lack of copy-paste that much more regrettable. A better word processor would make sense.<br><br>And, of course, a spread-sheet as well .... heck, I had those ten years ago on my Palms.<br><br>It'll come, I guess<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 05:03 AM

"I don't have any problem. I guess it takes a woman's touch."<br><br>You haven't owned an iPod touch. They're somewhat easier to unlock, in that the initial motion of sliding the lock part way over with enough speed will allow "momentum" to take it the rest of the way. Ergo the ease of one handed unlocking - the thumb could easily handle it. I recall the first generation iPhone was the same. This new iPhone is definitely different in this process.<br><br>- alec -

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 12:44 PM

<br>[color:blue]This new iPhone is definitely different in this process.<br></font color=blue><br><br>yes, it has a rubber-band effect pulling the slider back into the starting position. You really have to overcome kind of a resistance, to get it over. With the thumb, you need to be slow and deliberate.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 02:19 PM

Exactly! The rubber-band analogy is right on the money.<br><br>- alec -

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 03:25 PM

I still say no big deal. I can easily unlock holding in my left hand and using left thumb to unlock. I have strong thumbs. <br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: first 2 days with iPhone. - 07/15/08 03:57 PM

first, i *always* turn my iPhone on with 1 hand. maybe my fingers are just more flexible or something?<br><br>sound isn't great on the first generation. my last Verizon phone was worse than the previous one, so this iPhone is pretty equal. i don't like the speaker phone and we use that often with my kids.<br><br>i have never hit the top-left button on visual voicemail. the way i use that screen is to click the name and hear the message. but while listening, you are still on the main screen so there's no need to go back, is there?<br><br>i have a rubber case (logo is a backwards apostrophe and i can't find it again for my wife -- i have no clue what company it is). but the case is a must as it slipped right out of my hands and onto our carpet on the first day i owned it. i don't mind having the case because it works so darn well. fwiw, my wife has the incase case and my case is a zillion times better, which is why she wants one like mine. <br><br>i agree on the missing copy-and-paste stuff.<br><br>with Push, i am now probably going to drop Google calendars and switch to iCal. i rarely sync my iPhone to my computer and just charge externally so if Push can sync the calendars then i'll gladly switch. the Google calendars would SMS my phone with the current appt., but if i upgrade iPhones then i'd have to pay for SMS and iCal can let me know about appts without an SMS. <br><br>voice dialing is something i did two phones ago and loved. my previous Verizon phone didn't have it and i missed it. so my iPhone still doesn't but i no longer think about it. i do love the visual voicemail. that's an awesome feature to listen to any voicemail on the spot without having to listen to 4 messages in front of the one i want, etc. -- awesome.<br><br>my laptop has had it's wireless crap out this past week. we're on vacation so the iPhone has been my key to internet. even Edge is tolerable and the internet on this iPhone is just awesome for a device this size. awesome!<br><br>the only other complain is the 2 MP camera. they could have done better on the new iPhone. i have a TZ5 so i don't really care anymore, but a better camera might have had me thinking twice about the TZ5 previously. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>