Rogers may have screwed themselves

Posted by: MacBozo

Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 05:49 AM

along with all of Canada over their predatory iPhone rate plans.<br><br>Apple sanctioning Rogers, diverting iPhones away?<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 05:59 AM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA <br><br>serves them right... greedy A-holes.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 06:07 AM

It's just rumour but there are confirmed facts. <br><br>It's true that iPhone shipments have been vastly reduced. Some Rogers stores are receiving 0 iPhones, others only a dozen or so. No one knows why.<br><br>Extra staff that were hired for the roll out have been let go.<br><br>It is true there is a HUGE backlash and protest going on. It started out with just a few of us but now it's hit the mainstream news. One of the high profile radio stations, who's audience would target the majority of iPhone buyers, is now on the protest bandwagon and is encouraging listeners to boycott the iPhone and Rogers in general.<br><br>The problem is Rogers is our only GSM carrier. They have a monopoly and couldn't care less. It's my belief, and I'm not alone, that Rogers had no intention to make the iPhone a phenomenal success. This is Blackberry country and RIM is big bread and butter for Rogers. I believe they are protecting RIM's turf.<br><br>Unfortunately for Canadians, we are not going to have the iPhone experience.... at least for a while. Within the next couple of years there will be at least one, possibly two, additional GSM carriers which will hopefully foster some real competition in the Canadian cellular market.<br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 06:25 AM

Whether the rumour is true or not, the news is spreading.<br><br>
Posted by: Alec_Fromm

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 07:32 AM

"It's just rumour but there are confirmed facts."<br><br>Well make up your mind! Is it a rumour or is it a fact? <br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 07:36 AM

The rumor is Apple is punishing Rogers based on the reports of reduced iPhone shipments to Canada. It could just as well be that Apple sees that there won't be many iPhone sales in Canada, due to Rogers pricing, and is simply adjusting so that they can sell more in more favorable markets. Either way, Rogers screwed the process.<br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 07:54 AM

One of our local online papers has more. I can hardly wait for the launch... so I can stop choking on the the feathers floating around because of this flap! <br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 08:16 AM

You've said it exactly.<br><br>Alec, FWIW, I think the rumour is 9 parts BS but like Michael has said, I think there may be a supply and demand thing going on and Apple has diverted stock where they know the iPhone will fly off the shelf. Apple IS capable of screwing with dealers. You know that all too well in how Apple treats resellers. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 08:55 AM

By contrast, in the UK<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: carp

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 06:46 PM

[color:blue]"We do not have an unlimited data plan, although we are looking at potentially tweaking some of the data plan bucket sizes." </font color=blue> - looks to me that Rodgers has no intention for a unlimited plan<br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 07:07 PM

No they don't intend to have an unlimited plan.<br><br>Certainly I wanted an iPhone but I don't need any phone that badly. I can make do with what I have and bide my time until another cell carrier comes along.<br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 07:10 PM

I believe any shortfall of iPhone deliveries to Rogers outlets is a direct result of extended contracts between Rogers and RIM, which I've just had a birdie whisper in my ear. These same extended (crackberry) contracts allow Rogers to simply NOT give a damn what any Canadian iPhone prospect thinks of the Rogers iPhone rates. Until another carrier is born, Canadians would do well to completely ignore the iPhone. With the impending release of very attractive RIM (Rogers) products, the iPhone doesn't stand a chance up here... for now.<br><br>No skin off Apple's nose. All units shipping to Canada over the next year are apparently already paid for and promised to ship by a certain date WAY off into the future - next spring?<br><br>Of course, all this information could be false and I'm just talking outta my arse, like every other flustered Canadian iPhone owning hopeful.<br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/07/08 07:27 PM

I've made a couple of posts at ehMac regarding RIM. As soon as I saw those rate plans I knew something was up. I'm not alone.<br><br>It's unfortunate Rogers has the GSM monopoly.... for now. We'll get our iPhone but it will likely be Gen 4. Oh well, think how far along the iPhone will be then. <br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 07:26 AM

Did you have to wash your hands and keyboard after your comments over at @#* to Jim D's article? <br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 08:11 AM

Huh?<br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 09:15 AM

Rumor solidifies:<br><br>Supposedly Canadian Apple Stores will have demo iPhones out, but will not be selling any. Rogers will have to sell them only on their own. (Sounds like Apple doesn't want anyone blaming THEM for Rogers plans.)<br><br>http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/...ut_iphones.html<br><br>Now, if all this was intended by Rogers all along to kill the iPhone in Canada for the benefit of RIM, then you'd think Apple would have never accepted the plans in the first place and just held out longer. So it seems to me like unexpected consumer reaction is making Apple rethink their acceptance of a plan they once thought was marginally acceptable. A real intentional "kill the iPhone" plan from Rogers would have been so bad Apple would haven't touched it in the first place, I'm thinking.<br><br>So I'm skeptical that Rogers truly intended to kill the iPhone for Canada. But in any case it seems they have--for now. Or maybe Apple will call their bluff successfully!<br><br>Meanwhile, are there non-Rogers carriers that Canadians can use if they buy an EDGE iPhone off of ebay?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 09:54 AM

Rogers has a GSM monopoly. They can do as they please... for now. There are new carriers on the horizon in about a year or two.<br><br>There is plenty of suspicion that Rogers and RIM have some type of "agreement". It could never be proved and is idle speculation.<br><br>I believe both Rogers and Apple are probably surprised a the huge backlash that's happening. Canadians are usually very laid back and non vocal with their displeasure. I must admit I'm surprised how much it has snowballed, and it's not dying off either.<br><br>It's kinda nice to see Canucks MAD AS HELL!! <br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 09:57 AM

Jim D's article at MW<br><br>Scroll down through the comments. <br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 10:58 AM

As I mentioned, there will be new players on the block.<br><br>Globalive<br><br>These folks are Canada's only hope of a "real" iPhone. <br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 02:13 PM

[censored]" title="httpdaringfireballnetlinked20080708rogerscanadabullhuckeyurllltbrgtltbrgtSounds like ALL International Apple Stores will be leaving the iPhone to local carriers to sell In which case the evidence of an actual sudden AppleRogers disagreement is still a bit slimltbrgtltbrgtbnagrcolorredoltfont colorredgtmmebltbrgtltbrgtiI require stroyentiltbrgtburlhttpTeamMacOSXcomTeamMacOSXcom" target="_blank">http://daringfireball.net/linked/2008/07...]TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net[/b]

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 02:21 PM

True, but the thought was nice while it lasted. You've no idea how many folks were cheering for Apple. There's some serious hate going on for our cellular carrier.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/08/08 06:49 PM

My thoughts are if the iPhone is subsidized by the carrier then it would make sense that only the carrier sells them - Non subsidized phones are still sold at Apple stores.<br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/09/08 01:46 AM

It certainly sounds like a logistical nightmare: apparently Apple Stores will tie in to AT&T's customer database in the US. Hopefully they'll get that working smoothly. But imagine working out such dual-company integrated purchasing procedures for EVERY carrier around the world. Maybe that will happen sometime--but I'm not surprised it isn't happening immediately.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/09/08 07:38 AM

"Jim D's article at MW<br><br>Scroll down through the comments."<br><br>OK. Need more clues. What am I looking for?<br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -

Rogers caved in! - 07/09/08 08:00 AM

Well sorta. 6 GB data plan for $30<br><br>This is pretty amazing news. They must have been taking a lot of heat. Just shows the squeaky wheel....<br><br>So now we've taken care of the iPhone, gas prices next? <br><br>

Re: Rogers caved in! - 07/09/08 09:58 AM

It's only a promotional rate which is good only til August 31. After that, it's back to normal sex.<br><br>

Re: Rogers may have screwed themselves - 07/09/08 10:06 AM

It dropped off the main page:<br><br><br><br>Does that jog your memory? <br><br>Now, go wash your hands and keyboard for posting over there in Killy's world. <br><br>