Bad 3g news

Posted by: yoyo52

Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 01:45 PM

According to an article at TMO, the availability of 3G connections in the AT&T network is pretty limited to big metropolitan areas. The map is not good.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 01:56 PM

Yep, this is a big reason Apple can't sell these to many people. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 02:25 PM

The new iPhone is also compatible with 2G. No reason anyone can't buy one anywhere AT&T services.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 02:29 PM

Exactly, my Nokia is 3G/2G and it automatically switches between them.. Riyadh is not 100% 3G yet.<br><br>[color:blue]flick</font color=blue>[color:red]r</font color=red><br> <br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by walzuhair on 06/13/08 05:29 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 03:21 PM

I don't know Marg. According to this, there is only one plan for the new iPhone.....the more expensive one. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 03:36 PM

What iBookmaster said. Of course you can use the iPhone with EDGE, but you'll be paying G3 prices.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 05:12 PM

And that does make a very valid point. Of course, one might rationalize it by saying that they got a GPS for an extra $10.00 a month.<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 05:14 PM

What's the 3G coverage in Europe? Wasn't that the bitch about the first gen iPhone - no 3G?<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 05:28 PM

they just added 3G here a few months ago, which surprised me as it wasn't scheduled until 2009. but our coverage even extends out to my university which is 12 miles outside of the city (though, i work on the downtown campus and not the main one).<br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 06:04 PM

That and another possible plus is if you combine the old network coverage and the new network coverage, it should mean better overall coverage. For the actual phone part I mean. If you couldn't get phone coverage for the 2G in certain areas and you can with the 3G, it's better overall coverage. Did I say that right?<br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 07:53 PM

Yeah.. you said it right.. but the OPs point is people who live in Non-3G areas.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 08:10 PM

Thats true about the GPS, which is a very nifty thing to have. On the other hand, thinking about how my son uses his phone, reducing the SMS to the ridiculously low level that they have means that you'd have to pay extra to up the number of messages per month.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 08:25 PM

What percentage of the total population is covered by the blue areas though? They don't mention that in the article, but it probably wouldn't be so sensational if they did.<br><br>They are also covering up many of the areas with the oversized state names. Go to the ATT Wireless site and check OH, PA, IL, AR, OK, and MO for example in the Coverage Area link.<br><br>Should they put towers in BFE first, or should they start with the most densely populated areas and work their way down.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 09:01 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What percentage of the total population is covered by the blue areas though? They don't mention that in the article<p><hr></blockquote><p>nor do they mention it when showing the red votes for Bush versus the blue votes or Gore or Kerry. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 09:31 PM

Not pointed at anyone<br><br>Lets keep in mind that the LACK of a 3G phone was Apples biggest complaint and one big reason "certain" people did not buy the phone.<br><br>Now the 3G is out <-- Shut the fuuck up !!!! Its was said many times before when the first iPhone came out with EDGE that there was a serious lack of 3G service to begin with in this country people still bitched and bitched that Apple should have 3G capabilities and now it has and whats the bitching now poor 3G coverage from At&T ?? wtf ?<br><br>So is this a chicken before the egg question ??<br><br>

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 09:36 PM

You're comparing the iPhone to a POTUS election?<br><br>Damn whiny liberals. Eight years later and you still can't get over you lost according to the current electoral college laws. Twice? Damn Constitution. <br><br>This bud's for you, relax, focus on the post topic butterfly.<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 09:38 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Lets keep in mind that the LACK of a 3G phone was Apples biggest complaint and one big reason "certain" people did not buy the phone.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Can I hear an Amen borther!!!<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 09:49 PM

i think you're confusing me with someone else. i never once argued that Gore actually won and we all know that Kerry just flat out lost. them's the breaks. i don't whine about impeachment either. in any regard, i was merely remembering a map that would pop up after the elections trying to show just how badly Bush creamed Kerry when in reality you make a valid point about the population centers. here's the map that conservatives thought was so clever:<br><br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/13/08 09:54 PM

Yep dang if you do and dang if you don't<br><br>that old other adage "stuck between a rock and a hard place" so which came first the hard place or the rock ?<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/14/08 03:38 AM

Toronto and surrounding area has 3g. That's all I care about. <br><br>I believe eventually there will be coverage right across the world. The iPhone will force the carriers to upgrade. Don't forget until the last couple of years there were few cell phones that could utilize the new system. All that is changing. North America, unlike Europe, has vast areas of low population. We also have a huge land mass to contend with. <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/14/08 05:47 AM

That's a funny map. The map of unpopulated desert wasteland painted red is a very close match.<br><br>Whining about the 3G after whining about no 3G: It may be that people like to whine. It also could be that there are sub groups of people, ones that wanted 3G in the phone (who also live in civilized parts of country and are now happy) and people who are currently whining about coverage who live in the desert wasteland. <br><br>Hey, same maps.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/14/08 06:01 AM

still better than rural Georgia, they have 0.1G !! <br><br>also known as tins cans with a string !!<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Bad 3g news - 06/14/08 07:42 AM

They come with the string? WOW! What a deal!!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>