iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number

Posted by: Biggerfoot

iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/12/08 05:40 PM

My wife and I are on the same ATT plan that has long expired. I want to get a separate plan when the new iPhone comes out but keep my number. <br><br>If I bail out of our current plan to keep my number, is my wife stuck with a new plan too?<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/12/08 08:12 PM

Is it a family plan? She has a separate number?<br><br>

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/13/08 03:50 AM

I think it is a family plan but she has a separate number.<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/13/08 04:13 AM

Then I think you'll have no problem. That's what the guy told me when I wanted to update 1 phone. He said they're pretty much they're own entity and work interdependently of each other. I'm not 100% sure if that's true with the iPhone though. <br><br>

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/13/08 11:27 AM

I was able to talk to an ATT rep. <br><br>There is $18 transfer fee and my wife has to sign papers okaying me to leave the plan if I take my number with me. However, she will not have to extend her contract or take out a new one, just me with the iPhone.<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/13/08 11:44 AM

An iPhone will be my first mobile phone--and my landline is already with AT&T so I think transferring the number (since keeping both is very expensive) should be easy.<br><br>But I get a ton of junk calls--including squealing faxes!--on my landline. All from the previous owner of the number. (AT&T told me that they never promise you will get a "new" number, and sure enough as I move from city to city I've always gotten recycled ones.) Getting those junk calls while I'm out, and paying for them, would drive me CRAZY!<br><br>And as a small business owner, it's not good to always just send every unknown caller to voicemail. But I may have to do that--even if I get a new number and annoy all my current clients, the new one may get spammed too.<br><br>So, is it possible to have the ringer off for unknown callers, and on for known callers?<br><br>Maybe I'd just have to create a silent ringtone, and then put a custom ringer on each contact in my address book. (That could take a while!)<br><br>And can you have vibrate AND ring, so at least I know when a silent ringtone call comes in, and can then check my VM?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/13/08 12:40 PM

can you have vibrate AND ring<br><br>My little Sony Ericsson has that option. I used it at my previous job because the ambient noise of a working lumber yard made it nearly impossible to actually hear the phone ring.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/13/08 11:08 PM

My understanding; currently it was an FCC requirement to change numbers due to providers bought blocks of pre-fixes from FCC regulations. Soooo land lines are somewhat tied to pre-fix numbers but cell phones where under the same restrictions but currently they are not.<br><br>Cell phone "sim card" are easy to change or just slip into another phone - land line are still hard wired to a controller/switch, when these stations are change to digital then land line will become, like cell phone technology -- phone number pre fixes will then be a past memory<br><br>IMO<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPhone Plan/Keeping Phone Number - 05/14/08 07:14 AM

We used to have Verizon land lines, changed to all-wireless on AT&T, and got the old land line number changed over without a problem.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>