WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here?

Posted by: droogie

WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/06/08 05:45 PM

Does everyone here continue to have MacCentral posting shock? Not a single post regarding the latest HUGE [iPhone] news from Apple?<br><br>I admit... I went over to MacCentra... uh... I mean "that place " (MW) for some news about the iPhone announcements, and this is major stuff! This news could help the iPhone render Palm, RIM (Blackberry), and Windows Mobile completely lackluster at best.<br><br>Anyway, very surprised no one here is yappin' about any of it... except for me. Please, don't you people go and get boring on me. <br><br>droog<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/06/08 05:48 PM

Huge news!! <br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 04:50 AM

Yup, it is HUGE news. I don't have an iPhone or Touch yet, but any time after 2.0 comes out I wouldn't have a problem buying one! The app store sounds like it's going to be a huge hit. Especially since you will be able to download wirelessly. <br><br>Watch out RIM, Steve is serious now <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 05:20 AM

I think everyone is excited and a little shocked. Apple has really opened up the iPhone with an SDK which is the same as the one Apple developers use. They are going to take 30% profits and access to the new programs everyone develops are to be blessed and go out the door from Apple. No other cell phone can touch this access. Developers are lining up drooling to be the first to create some neat add ons to the iPhone. <br><br>Skies the limit. These apps will come dribbling out in a few months making the iPhone that much sexier. Meanwhile Apple also introduces a ton of stuff for corporate which suddenly makes blackberry thumb cramping ancient history. Sure there will be die hard blackberry aficionados as there were experts at using the rotary phone. RIMM has to come up with something a little cooler now.<br><br>Unlimited potential which can be easily optimized is all over the iPhone. My favorite, GPS, still waits in the wings. It should be added next hardware upgrade to the iPhone. The apps written after that are the nifty ones combining all the user information on it with google maps and GPS. Garmin and Magellan are going to be getting nervous too.<br><br>Am I going to get one? Personally I hate my cell phone as much as I hated my beeper. An electronic leash I can still do without. I turn my RAZR off all the time. My corporation just does Verizon so I am stuck over to the side with a free phone. But Apple is introducing corporate rates as well as fixing security issues so it won't be long before the iPhone is offered. Add GPS and I'll try one out.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 05:57 AM

Soooo when can I expect Pong and Space Invaders on my iPhone ? <br><br><br>seriously, it is great - I hope to see a ton of apps, and I might buy a few good ones. <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 06:46 AM

Immediately upon reading the news of Apple's iPhone SDK announcement, I was compelled to head outside and run around my house, whooping and screaming the praises of Apple. I couldn't stop! Round and round I went, hollering at the top of my lungs, until I finally collapsed in a heap of exhaustion. I suddenly noticed a small crowd of neighbours had gathered around, obviously concerned for my well-being, judging by the police and ambulance which had magically appeared. The ambulance attendants checked my condition before the police issued a summons for disturbing the peace. Once the crowd dispersed and the attending services had left, I discovered I had worn quite a rut around the house. So in my jubilant state, I proceeded to repair said rut, which took me into the early evening to complete. At that point, one would think I'd expended all that joy and triumphant energy... but, no. After a quick cleanup, I headed straight to a local party shop and purchased all the fare required for a real blast of a party. As luck would have it, a liquor store was nearby and without hesitation, I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon for the ensuing celebration. But my excitement couldn't be contained and I opened the Dom Perignon right there in the parking lot and invited all to join me in a toast to Apple! Oddly enough, not a single person took advantage of my generosity and my thoughts of sharing were almost dashed until someone tapped me on the shoulder. AHA, I thought. Finally someone with whom to revel! But, alas... I was once again issued a citation for public disturbance and being intoxicated in a public place by the "visitor" whom I'd sadly mistaken for a fellow reveler. I spent the night in the drunk tank, my car was impounded and when I was finally released early this morning, I discovered my car had been ransacked and all the party fare was gone. So here I sit, drinking copious quantities of black coffee, in an effort to soothe my aching head and calm my rattling nerves.<br><br>But, YEAH... it sure is good news!!! <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 07:56 AM

With that long, thorough review of the recent turn of events, I thought you were Shooshie! Then I realized that you're the same old Alec... on crack-laced coffee, sharing your typical morning routine! <br><br><a href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheGraphicMac/~6/1">[img]http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheGraphicMac.1.gif" alt="The Graphic Mac: OSX & design community" style="border:0[/img]</a><br><br>
Posted by: SteveS

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 08:41 AM

Up until now (and by now, I mean June 2008), the iPhone and RIM were not really competing against one another. That seems to be changing. I couldn't help but notice the shot Jobs took at RIM regarding the "old way" of communicating with Exchange. Let's be honest, RIM has taken a black eye or two because of their server outages. Having a middleman like that does increase the risk of failure.<br><br>I suppose this is good news for the iPhone. Even though I use Outlook/Exchange at work, I really have no intention of using my personal iPhone for work related issues. If I absolutely needed such access I could and have used OWA which is a pretty lousy solution, but works in a pinch.<br><br>I'm more excited about the SDK open to developers. This will bring new possibilities and was the one major weakness to the platform. I recall how some would not classify the iPhone as a "smart phone" because it wasn't open to developers. That doesn't seem to be an issue now.<br><br>Anyway, keep yappin' ... you make it interesting. I tend to find things a bit boring without a troll to beat down every now and then. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything. <br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 01:07 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I discovered my car had been ransacked and all the party fare was gone.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well, you asked for it!! <br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: leicaman

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/07/08 03:21 PM

I was so excited I downloaded the SDK! All 2.10 gigs of it! And now I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out where to start. <br><br>Seriously, I think I might try my hand as XCode. I haven't done any software development for about 15 years, but who knows?<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/08/08 02:14 PM

I was so excited I downloaded the SDK! All 2.10 gigs of it! And now I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out where to start.<br><br>Man, I'd love to do that... it'd be fun. I tried to do the XCode thing and, well, I just don't have time for it. Once I got past the learning curve it would be a blast, but, like I said, I don't even have time to play games I want to play any more. <br><br>I can think of a huge pile o' apps I would like to create for the iPhone.<br><br>Let me know how it goes. <br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/08/08 02:52 PM

Up until now (and by now, I mean June 2008), the iPhone and RIM were not really competing against one another. That seems to be changing.<br><br>According to Jobs it will more than simply "seem to change." Over-exuberant, wishful thinking on Jobs' part? Or will he actually manage to disrupt the entire mobile market now?<br><br><br>Let's be honest, RIM has taken a black eye or two because of their server outages. Having a middleman like that does increase the risk of failure.<br><br>Yeah... I have a few Blackberry using buds who, according to them, have extra grey hairs of frustration because of "intermittent RIM failures." <br><br><br>I really have no intention of using my personal iPhone for work related issues. <br><br>Jobs seems to think (or hope?) this will all lead to companies exchanging their wares for iPhones.<br><br><br>f I absolutely needed such access I could and have used OWA which is a pretty lousy solution, but works in a pinch.<br><br>Why would you opt for a lousy solution when, at the end of June or shortly thereafter, you could have the ideal solution? <br><br><br>I'm more excited about the SDK open to developers<br><br>Oh man, no kidding... you and me both, buddy! <br><br><br>This will bring new possibilities and was the one major weakness to the platform. <br><br>Yeah. Actually, I didn't think Apple would "open it up" as much as they apparently have decided to. There are a couple of things that could be a typical Apple pain in the wazzoo, such as someone creating a really nifty way to completely change the iPhone's UI and Apple not liking it. I could see Apple at that point rejecting the software... completely "banning" it. Steve does seem to have a way of wanting us to use the Mac's UI the way HE wishes us to use it. Let's hope this doesn't happen with the iPhone. <br><br>I would like being able to [natively] use the background of my choice behind my icons on my home screen... the way other mobile phones allow. Even the ability to fade that background if desired.<br><br><br>I recall how some would not classify the iPhone as a "smart phone" because it wasn't open to developers. That doesn't seem to be an issue now.<br><br>Yup, I was one of them. So much better than other "smart phones" in many areas... but its lack of "native" apps was killing it for me. Still, nothing like the iPhone out there, yet.<br><br><br>BTW, there could be a slight potential problem with some developers... some are already yappin' their displeasure over Apple's desire to, in typical IRS fashion, heist a full 30% off the top of a dev's profit. Which, I must admit, sounds a bit steep to me. If I were a dev I don't think I'd like it either. I think 10-15% is more than fair. 30% is a little arrogant to expect. <br><br>Then again, maybe that figure is a trial balloon floated from Apple to see if everyone actually goes for it without complaint. Then in the event of loads of complaints Apple would readily compromise that figure. <br><br><br>I tend to find things a bit boring without a troll to beat down every now and then. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything.<br><br>Hey, I saw a couple of posts from Akula here already. Maybe you guys can entertain us with a few rounds of hostile tech-disagreement every now and then? Just kidding! (actually I'm not... but like you said, we can't have everything!) <br><br>droog<br><br><br><br>

Re: WOW... - 03/08/08 02:53 PM

... you sound like a person with waaaayyyyyyy too much time on their hands! <br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/08/08 03:02 PM

Soooo when can I expect Pong and Space Invaders on my iPhone ?<br><br>I'm hoping game performance will get better in the way that when games are truly native we will no longer have to contend with that occasionally irritating "pause" when touching the screen for some action when playing a web-based game. It's very irritating when playing certain current action-based games and you touch the screen only to get that pause. I understand native games will eliminate this problem. <br><br>And you will see tons of apps... an exhausting supply of them... wait and see. I hope Apple has tons of server space available! <br><br>droog<br><br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/08/08 03:05 PM

I hope I can find the right documentation to help me get started. I suppose I need to put a bit of time into C before I go nuts with Objective C and Cocoa (Touch). <br><br>Anyone know a good reference to learn C on XCode 3.0? <br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WOW! No iPhone SDK Excitement here? - 03/08/08 09:11 PM

Friday night, while I was in my digital imaging class at college, one of the students was using a hacked iPhone with all kinds of apps on it. He was playing drums and running all kinds of games. It was amazing to see what all of the developers have been "chomping on the bit" underground to produce. I can't test any of these, myself, because I need my iPhone to be able to sync using iTunes (iCal, Address Book, etc.). When you hack it like that, you have to give up all those luxuries. <br><br>But I have to say, it's all very, very exciting, even though I'll have to wait until June! <br><br>