A sensible article justifying Apples choice of Edge

Posted by: Jashue

A sensible article justifying Apples choice of Edge - 02/27/08 07:04 AM

HERE<br><br>I quickly tired of the comments at the end-- a bunch of dorks quibbling about technicalities, and I was amused to see that none of them had anything to say about the gist of the article-- which made a whole lot of sense. <br><br>Yeah-- Edge can be a drag. But when I compare it to life before the iPhone, I think I got it pretty good. As it is, I need to plug the device in at least once every day and a half for a charge. Anything more than that would be too much.<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: A sensible article justifying Apples choice of - 02/27/08 07:59 AM

I make do with dialup many places I travel. It's not merely useful, it's VITAL. I'd gladly move up to available-anywhere and generally-faster EDGE!<br><br>And 3G too--if the sacrifices weren't too great.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: A sensible article justifying Apples choice of - 02/27/08 08:17 AM

Yeah, and so far it's still called the iPhone. When Apple renames it to the iCandoanythinganywherequickly, I'll consider complaining about speed.<br><br>Heck, I just WANT one!<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: A sensible article justifying Apples choice of - 02/27/08 08:39 AM

Look at it this way: if the author's 3G experiences are typical, then a 3G phone lets you surf for one hour at "fast" speeds... and then drops to zero bytes per second (along with a mysterious sudden inability to make calls, play music, or take/show photos).<br><br>The iPhone keeps on surfing past the hour mark. So... surf until the iPhone battery dies and then average the speeds of the two phones... with the 3G phone getting zero for all but the first hour <br><br>Of course, speed depends on reception. Side-by-side tests that make the iPhone look faster than 3G are meaningless to me. Some places EDGE will be faster if 3G reception is poor, but that's hardly a fair test unless you live/work at that location. It IS fair to say the iPhone processes and renders pages faster than other phones, but test that with WiFi (if the competition even has that) to eliminate reception issues.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Akula

Re: A sensible article justifying Apples choice of Edge - 02/27/08 10:44 PM

Always fun to watch someone "justify" their high priced purchase that goes slower than most everything else on the market ;)<br><br>Play World of Warcraft, for free!
Posted by: carp

Re: A sensible article justifying Apples choice of - 02/29/08 08:37 PM

You missed the point<br><br>[color:blue]With my Nokia N95, I can browse the Web over a 3G network for about an hour before the battery is dead</font color=blue><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: A sensible article justifying Apples choice of Edge - 02/29/08 09:37 PM

i am rarely away from wifi, so i only have limited experience on Edge. however, i go to my wife's parents every few months. my Edge connection is faster than their dial-up and they live out in the country where there'd be no 3G even if it was an option. so i am quite pleased with Edge. <br><br>i charge mine every 2 or 3 days, fwiw.<br><br>