tv question

Posted by: ichi

tv question - 02/19/08 03:30 PM

if i have &#63743;tv, can i project any video, e.g. web video in safari, from my computer > &#63743;tv > to my widescreen tv?<br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: tv question - 02/19/08 03:32 PM

no, unless you can save it to your HD and put it in iTunes.<br><br>my photos

Re: tv question - 02/19/08 03:33 PM

what about youtube, i thought it would do that with the youtube site?<br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>

Re: tv question - 02/19/08 03:39 PM

You can watch YouTube videos, but it's not like going through Safari.<br><br>my photos

Re: tv question - 02/19/08 03:56 PM

youtube has like its own &#63743;tv browser or something? is the catalogue complete (same as youtube web)?<br><br><br>but otherwise, as to my original question, i can save almost any web video --can i then simply transfer that to the &#63743;tv's hd and then it will show --i guess all i really need do is drop it in my comp's iTunes then it will transfer, does it have to be transcoded to a particular format/codec?<br><br>that's all my question's right in there, sorry, i shoulda managed to ask them the first time.<br><br>thanks in advance. <br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>

Re: tv question - 02/19/08 04:03 PM

This should answer your questions about youtube and &#63743;TV: http://www.apple.com/appletv/features.html#youtube<br><br>I don't know if you have access to ALL of youtube or not. I don't use it.<br><br>But as for web videos, I guess as long as iTunes can play them, then the &#63743;TV can. If not, you can use VisualHub to convert them.<br><br>my photos

Re: tv question - 02/19/08 04:42 PM

i was hoping you'd post such a link, thanks.<br><br>the idea that i like is that i can create a playlist of stuff i see on the web and say hey look at this and show the video(s) to someone sitting in front of a living-room tv. <br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 05:30 AM

Some other options:<br><br>A Wii and the internet channel works great for YouTube.<br><br>A PS3 and DLNA server (TwonkyVision) works great for streaming media to the TV.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 05:37 AM

cheapest PS3 is $399 I think? <br><br>my photos

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 05:47 AM

Yes it's $399, but that also gets you a game machine, BluRay player and full 1080p support.<br><br>Want movie rentals? Grab your DLNA server of choice on your PC and stream Netflix. :P<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 06:05 AM

The AppleTV update brings 1080p upconverting. Sure, not full 1080p, but better than none. Not all of us want a game machine and I think I would rather have a stand-alone blu-ray.<br><br>What is a DLNA server? And a PC? Forget that. I don't want a PC in my house.<br><br>my photos

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 08:10 AM

DNLA is the software technology pushing connectivity between personal electronics devices, like the PS3.<br><br>You don't need a PC, there are DLNA servers that run great on OS X.<br><br>The Apple TV is an okay little box but AFAIK it doesn't have DLNA support even though basicially it's just a DLNA client. Hopefully there will be a future hack.<br><br>It's all about choices, and personally I'd rather spend my money on hardware that will continue to be more robust in the future and play any media I wish, not just what Apple wants me to play on it.<br><br>I'd also rather spend $399 than ~$650 for a standalone blu ray player and Apple TV. :)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: FSM

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 08:51 AM

i have a Wii, but i think you have to buy the internet channel to be able to access YouTube, etc. i think they gave it away for a while, but now it's $5 or something crazy like that (crazy only in the sense that browsers are free for the rest of the world -- and this one doesn't even come with a keyboard).<br><br>

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 09:46 AM

Yeah it costs 500 wii points now, but there are various ways to get free wii points so ultimately it could still be free.<br><br>I like it simply for being able to pop on and check webmail when my daughter is hogging up the computer playing Webkinz. I'd hoped she could play it on the wii, but unfortunately the browser doesn't have the right flash so it doesn't work.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 10:14 AM

you need this (my kids do webkinz as well):<br><br><a href="http://lifehacker.com/357869/use-your-wii-as-a-media-center">http://lifehacker.com/357869/use-your-wii-as-a-media-center</a><br><br>

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 02:32 PM

Yeah, I've seen that but haven't been able to download it to play around, have you used it?<br><br>I like all the people in the posts crying about video quality, and every one of them state "my network sucks", but then continue to blame the program! lol Maybe they should invest in a better network!<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 02:39 PM

BOOM! daddy like!<br><br>thanx sarge! that is definitely worth looking into!<br><br>questions:<br>DLNA server, is that costly? are there any other cost in what you list except NetFlix?<br>what speed can stream... i mean is it "n" or "g or what exactly... and i can stream what// anything... from my mac to my PS3 to my tv? (is that how that works?)<br><br>"if you wish to fear nothing, consider that everything is to be feared." <br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ichi on 02/20/08 05:44 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: ok... - 02/20/08 03:55 PM

this looks great! i may veru well go this route.<br><br>first t read <a href="http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/08/how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-software-in-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux.html">here</a>, which tooi me <a href="http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/08/how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-software-in-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux.html">here</a>.<br><br>very cool. is anyone running this (Twonky)? it appears ti integrate with iTunes playlist, is that correct?<br><br>"if you wish to fear nothing, consider that everything is to be feared." <br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: Pete

Re: tv question - 02/20/08 04:12 PM

Grab your DLNA server of choice on your PC and stream Netflix. :P <br><br>There's also a rumor that Netflix is going to stream through the PS3...<br><br>

Re: tv question - 02/21/08 05:24 AM

No prob, didn't know what you have so I figured I'd toss other stuff out there you might not know about.<br><br>I don't have Twonky, but I've read it's pretty good. I'll probably spring for a PS3 in early summer, and I'll get Twonky then.<br><br>Actually, I'm not sure if it'll stream netflix or not but it's supposed to stream all your media files - music, video, photos.<br><br>BTW I think you can download and try it out free for 30 days, so there's no risk if you don't like it!<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: tv question - 02/21/08 04:45 PM

please report back if you get this stuff going.<br><br>i don't know why, but i'm still torn. i'm pb just not ready to pull the trigger yet.<br><br>i do see this though and i assume it means anything in my iTunes, movies, QT, audio, will play?<br><br>"Interfaces to third party applications like iTunes, Winamp, Adobe Photoshop Album."<br><br>iPhoto may he missing, eh?<br><br><br><br><br>"if you wish to fear nothing, consider that everything is to be feared." <br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: morserj

Re: tv question - 02/24/08 07:59 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>and this one doesn't even come with a keyboard).<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ahh, but you can plug in almost any USB keyboards to the Wii, and they will work just fine. I plug my apple keyboard into it all the time.<br><br>--------<br>Ryan

Re: tv question - 02/24/08 08:12 PM

wow, i didn't even notice the USB port on the Wii. granted i didn't even think to look for it though. neat. thanx. i guess i'll upgrade for $5 and get the effin browser. <br><br>

Re: tv question - 02/25/08 05:44 AM

Hey I tried out that Orb...<br><br>it sucks!<br><br>Also I've come to the conclusion the wii browser sucks. It's okay for checking webmail, or watching a youtube vid or two. But other than that, there's not much you can do with it. Pandora won't load, it runs out of memory. None of the sites my daughter likes will load, it runs out of memory!<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: tv question - 02/25/08 06:44 AM

that's good to know. i guess i won't be in a hurry to get the browser after all. thanks. both of my kids have old laptops anyway, so it's not like we need another browser.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: tv question - 02/25/08 11:35 AM

FYI: I paid the 5 bucks and I have never run out of memory. You pay more for a double latte vende half soy milk at Starbucks. Both are worth it.<br><br>

Re: tv question - 02/25/08 02:48 PM

Pandora is a simple flash based internet radio. I see no reason why youtube would run, but not pandora. Although the wii itself has a paltry 88MB of memory so I can see why more complex sites would run out of memory.<br><br>I've gotten the out of memory on about half a dozen sites now. I don't really use the thing other than checking emails on the web thankfully.<br><br> <br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: steveUSMC

Re: &#63743;tv question - 12/21/08 06:33 PM

does anybody have any information on when Apple might put a bluray player in the AppleTV? Now that bluray is the only 1080p standard out there, you'd think this would have to be on the horizon for Apple.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: &#63743;tv question - 12/22/08 04:49 AM

IF he does, I don't think it'll be for awhile yet. They haven't put it in the computer yet, so I doubt it'll be in the AppleTV anytime soon.

And another reason is because Steve is into the whole iTunes store and you buying the movie that way.