16 Gig iPhone is here!

Posted by: Jashue

16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 05:56 AM

And the iPod touch has been updated to 32 gigs. 32 gigs = now we're talkin' turkey!<br><br>Funny though: I love my iPhone. Coolest, most useful thing I've ever purchased. But I seldom listen to music on the thing since I usually play my 60 gig iPod in the car. I wonder how many people out there exist for whom music is just an afterthought on their phones?<br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jashue on 02/05/08 09:02 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 06:03 AM

BUt where is the freekin' GPS???? It only cost a dime to put it in there! This is ridiculous!<br><br><br>Posted courtesy of PolymeraseŠ.<br><br><br>jk <br><br>

iTouch - 02/05/08 06:24 AM

32 gigs...wonder why it's not in the iPhone?<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 07:05 AM

Does anyone really need GPS?<br><br>It seems the only time in which that would be truly useful would be while driving, and for that, there exists so many more better options. When driving, you shouldn't be looking at a damn phone! I've got navi in my Civic Si, and I cant imagine utilizing it without the screen as it is located, or without the audio feedback that it provides. <br><br>Those that pine so baddly for GPS in an iPhone, are just gadget whores, and I ought to know because I'm one of 'em. I do, however, think I see this issue pretty clearly.<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 07:11 AM

perhaps you'd prefer not to have GPS in your phone, but my kids and i like to Geocache so we're out walking around with the gps in hand. i'd rather just have my iPhone than the iPhone and the portable GPS. <br><br>also getting a second GPS for our second car is going to cost a pretty penny. in a pinch, i'd love to have the iPhone work as as a GPS just in case i ended up without our main GPS unit. there's a reason a lot of people want it and it isn't trivial. <br><br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 07:21 AM

No 3G either on the iPhone as of yet. I'm not expecting droves of excited customers new to Apple to run out and buy them this new 16gigger in Europe.<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 07:43 AM

Uh huh.<br><br>At least I can admit I'm a gadget [censored]! <br><br>What is it you do with the kids? "Geocache?" I don't have any idea what that is and I bet most people crying for GPS in the iPhone don't either. You may very well have a legitamate need for it, but I assure you, you are in the minority.<br><br><br>Edit: What's up with the censor? Gadget "lady of the night"? Gadget "prostitute"? No, that doesn't quite work, does it? But then, the word [censored] need not be vulgar either.<br><br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jashue on 02/05/08 11:48 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 08:31 AM

poly and his kids Geocache as well. <br><br>from wikipedia:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 480,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the sport. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1]<p><hr></blockquote><p>nearly half a million of us. and most of these people are in the target audience of the iPhone. and sure it's kind of dorky, but it makes long bike rides with the kids that much more fun when they find a treasure at the end. many of the "treasures" get us out in beautiful areas to explore as well:<br><br><br><br>i'd guess most people clamoring for GPS just don't want to spend that many hundreds of dollars more beyond the iPhone to get a separate GPS unit when other cell phones are already doing it. i think that's a valid reason, fwiw. for less than $25 they could have this in their car:<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 08:54 AM

This is not ridiculous because it's not a new iPhone. It's new storage in the current iPhone. Spec bumps happen.<br><br>But redesigns happen too. NEW iPhones will still come. Maybe with GPS. Definitely , eventually, with 3G.<br><br>Hopefully with Silverthorne.<br><br>And I'd gladly pay another $100 for 32 GB in an iPhone. I'll probably get my wish since I await iPhone 2.<br><br>But at least we're at 16, which achieves my minimum!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 09:28 AM

i have a measly 4 GB iPhone. i am using less than 2 GB of the space and i could drop that considerably since i don't need the music. i also have a 60 GB iPod. all of my music is on the iPod and that's what i use in the car sort of like a permanent fixture. when i fly, i put some movies and television shows on the 60 GB iPod, but i wouldn't want to drain my iPhone battery so i doubt i'd use that even if i didn't have the iPod. in other words, the size of the iPhone is not why i chose this as my cell phone. i do keep on little basketball highlights video just to show the phone off. heh.<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 09:57 AM

I want capacity for data purposes: quick work backups while on the road, data transfers, storing games (I often run UT2004 off my iPod, saving 17GB of space on my Macs) and auxiliary storage for my Air if I end up doing video processing or something that pushes the 80 limit. I also want to be able to browse and view files (at least Office, txt, RTF, HTML, image, video, audio and PDF) right on the iPhone--including editing of TXT and RTF.<br><br>None of which is possible on the iPhone today.<br><br>But with the security improvements (the new "mobile" user account), the upcoming SDK, and future iPhone OS X versions, I have hope. THEN I will need the space.<br><br>Until, then, I would use the space for TV/movies--including my own creations I would present to TV at meetings--but could survive on 4GB even so.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 10:42 AM

yeah, i'd love to have that kind of upgrade to browse and view and edit files.<br><br>but even in my busy semesters, the largest my class folder ever gets is maybe 50 MB for all of the docs and files (mostly RTF as that's what i required from my students; photos take up my biggest chunk for class files because i make my students use some photography stuff and the files are large when they don't follow directions - heh). now i am moving more and more to Google Docs so that doesn't take up any space on my computer. <br><br>but i can see how others need more and even much more. <br><br>
Posted by: conspirator

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 11:47 AM

I'm tempted, even though I've been saying I'll wait for the 2nd Gen. 16 GB has been my minimum, too. I just may go ahead and join the herd.<br><br>I wonder what this means for the timeline of the 2nd Gen release? Is May/June wishful thinking? <br><br>-------------------<br> 98poundgeekling.wordpress.com

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 01:38 PM

This is not ridiculous because it's not a new iPhone. It's new storage in the current iPhone. Spec bumps happen.<br><br><br>I'm spoofing polymerase. Personally, it's not a HUGE thing not to have GPS. I've lived 45 years w/o it.<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 01:48 PM

Jaybomac!<br><br>Good to see ya here! Everyone's coming out of the woodwork, I see.<br><br>I have no regrets for my purchase, and the release of the 16 giger is cause for no buyers remorse. I only have a few playlists synced to the iPhone, including the top rated tunes (400 of close to 6000). If I needed to listen to music on the phone I'd have a pretty good start. I also have Finding Nemo and the Shawshank Redemption-- just to show off. I've never watched an entire movie on the phone. Space isn't an issue for me.<br><br>So what's left? GPS? You've seen my take on the issue in this thread. You've see Sean's.<br><br>3G? I've got WiFi at home and at work. There are times when I need to use AT&T's Edge and it kinda sucks. But, I think that if 3G uses battery life as badly as I've heard then maybe Edge is a compromise I can live with. <br><br>Think about that. <br><br>I can't go too much more than a day without completely discharging the battery of my iPhone. I'm pretty much down to a routine as far as when and where I need to get some juice. I'm not sure I'd feel like adjusting my life for a routine that required more charging than I currently need.<br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 02:00 PM

Welcome oldtimer !! So neat to see everyone popping in here to shout hello!<br><br>Enjoy. We're glad your here, speaking for everyone here Ha!<br><br><br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 02:02 PM

Yeah. GPS is more minor for most people than some make it out to be. It WOULD be very cool and welcome, though, so I hope the vocal GPS camp are taking the word to Apple and not just to forums :)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: polymerase

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 02:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Personally, it's not a HUGE thing not to have GPS. I've lived 45 years w/o it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I lived the first 25 years of my life before ATM machines. Would you live without them? Stand in line for twenty minutes at the bank to cash your paycheck.<br><br>GPS in a phone is way cool and has to be tried before one says they can live without it. I just drove up to a friends house in Maine for some skiing and got lost. Stopped and punched his address into my RAZR and was led on some roads I would never had taken and got there in no time. <br><br>As for the "I got on in my car already", does anyone rent cars? My wife's car doesn't have GPS. <br><br>GPS would be cool in the iPhone because it has all the hard stuff except for the dimes worth of electronics. It has a huge screen and maps already.<br><br>I'm a gadget freak. I have four GPS units and I am about to buy another one. But I really hate carrying more than one gadget at a time. An iPhone with GPS would get my must carry gadgets down to one.<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 02:34 PM

Here's something I've been wondering about:<br><br>Does anyone's GPS software integrate Google maps?<br><br>The GPS in my Honda is proprietary (I guess), as is that employed by Garmin et al. The combination of the two (what so many seem to want) would be pretty cool. I'd love to see, for example, satellite view on the screen in the car!<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 02:58 PM

32 gigs.... HA !!....<br><br>I'm holding out for the Tb model !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 03:43 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Here's something I've been wondering about:<br><br>Does anyone's GPS software integrate Google maps?<p><hr></blockquote><p> Yes, Google Earth Plus has GPS integration. I think I might upgrade to that once I have the macbook Air. There are also other Mac programs that integrate a GPS connect by USB to a Mac and you become a moving dot on maps which you download.<br><br>Even very old GPS units send out a data feed which can be taken in by USB. So you can buy a cheap and small GPS on ebay for 50 bucks and get driving around on satellite pictures pretty easily.<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 04:41 PM

I see your point. But, let me point out... I have not used an ATM in over 12 years. Seriously.<br><br>Ennyhoo... I was just playin.... beatin ya to the punch.<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/05/08 05:35 PM

I knew that, I just used your post to go into my "iphone needs GPS" link.<br><br>As for not using an ATM, are you insane? You got the hots for a bank teller?<br><br>

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/06/08 05:01 AM

Every 4th check I cash and put into my pocket and leave some at home. I go to the bank once a month and it's 5 blocks from work.<br><br>No direct deposit for me.<br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: 16 Gig iPhone is here! - 02/06/08 01:58 PM

My checks are direct deposit but I got to an ATM once a month for 'walking around' money. <br><br><br><br>