Great iPhone tool

Posted by: DLC

Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 06:05 AM

This is probably "old hat" to many, but I didn't keep up with the details of the iPhone upgrade and I only watched text updates of Stevie's KeyNote....<br><br>But on the maps icon there is a locator button- push it and it will show you where you're located...so if you're lost bingo - you can hit that and then in the route window select "Current location" and type in your destination - it will map a route for you. <br>While this is no GPS, (no tracking) it can be a lifesaver if you get lost or detoured, and especially when traveling in unknown places and cities while on a trip. Pretty cool.<br><br>Also my trainer last week, Myles the Magnificent, told me Apple will release the iPhone code after Feb 1st and towards the middle to end of the month, we can expect a lot of 3rd party Apps. even better... <br>I want one that's a "GAS buddy" (www.gasbuddy.com) - hit the button and using your current location (above) the map comes back with the location and price of gas at stations within a 5-10 mi radius !! ....think that'd be cool ?? <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 06:47 AM

The problem is that the feature isn't accurate. There are reports of people hitting "Current location" and it tell them they are nearly 5 blocks from where they actually are. The feature uses (I believe) wireless hotspots and cell towers to determine your location - which is obviously not accurate.<br><br>The feature is quite nice, and can be helpful in a town you know. But if you're in a new town, the feature probably isn't going to get you "unlost."<br><br><a href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheGraphicMac/~6/1">[img]http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheGraphicMac.1.gif" alt="The Graphic Mac: OSX & design community" style="border:0[/img]</a>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 07:19 AM

It might be able to tell you which town you are in but I would not trust it beyond that. That the iPhone does not have a GPS receiver inside is getting comical. This fake GPS by cell tower ploy only makes it clear how ridiculous the situation is. GPS is cheap ninety cent technology which Steve Jobs is saving for the wow factor later on. The only wow it's going to get out of me is, "wow, why wasn't GPS in there to begin with?"<br><br>I'll stick with the Verizon RAZR until Apple gets their act together and keep thanking SgtBaxter for pointing out to me that my phone has had excellent GPS software with turn by turn voice on board for years.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 09:03 AM

Been using that sucker have ya? :)<br><br>The latest software version is pretty great, allows you to send and receive calls and messages from your destination, even sends them a text message as to how far away you are and when you'll arrive. Pretty slick, if you haven't upgraded to the latest version I recommend it.<br><br>Just remember, if you need a new battery, don't buy it from Verizon and get ripped off ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 10:20 AM

You're not kidding, I just checked it out. $40 for the same battery I got for $8.35 shipped on ebay?<br><br>I have a RAZR but with ATT.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 10:44 AM

heh well that was a dig a folks roasting me for telling them Apple rips them off for battery replacements, but it's rampant unfortunately.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 12:10 PM

Gee I just love getting ripped off by Best Buy so I bought a replacement battery just last week for the RAZR for 39 bucks. <br><br>Yes, the GPS software has come in handy lately. I would still be looking for a restaurant in San Diego if I didn't have turn by turn in voice Heidi. She did lead me astray though trying to make me take illegal left turns. Three in a row, "Take your next left on ninth street (no Heidi that's illegal) recalculating route, take your next left on 8th. Finally 6th street was legal but they called me from the restaurant and the phone went dead. That's why I got a fresh battery. Roaming in San Diego ate the old battery up in half a day. I can go over a week at home.<br><br>Thanks for the tip on the software upgrade. just yesterday my password stopped working for getting into voice mail so I guess it is time to call them.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 12:48 PM

It passes my "useful" test! Getting lost in strange towns isn't my main need--and even a paper map can help you there: you look at a street sign. The iPhone does one better by getting you to the right page of the map!<br><br>I'd love real GPS--and as we all know, no feature is EVER missing from an Apple product for engineering reasons, only for scary dark conspiracies. But if my first iPhone (which will be an iPhone 2) lacks that, it will at least have Skyhook and cell triangulation.<br><br>More important to me is gaining 16 GB storage. Preferrably 32.<br><br>3G I'll take... but not if it saps battery life and adds bulk as it does to current 3G phones. That won't always be the case, and we know 3G is coming--I just hope it doesn't come before the compromises are worked out.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 01:27 PM

Well talking to the Verizon help was a painful hour of nothing until they figured out my DTMF was off. This caused my voice password to not be accepted. Twits, couldn't somebody had thought of that before? Who know how it got changed.<br><br>They almost talked me into a MOTO Z6C phone since my two year contract ends next week and it would only be 50 bucks. Being able to make calls from Europe would be fun but I think I can live without it. If I knew it worked in the Bahamas I would get it but I don't think anything works there reliably.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 02:09 PM

Okay, let's see a show of hands from those who have actually used this feature on iPhone. Anybody? You can put your hands down DLC.<br><br>By the same token, who here hasn't typed in a specific location in Google Maps, your house for example, only to find Google is off by a block or two? In fact, when I type in my street address and send Google Earth to look for it, it reports that 27th Lane is two streets over from my house and the push pin can be found at the nearest intersection!<br><br>I knew this search and locate feature of Google's was flawed and there is no reason to think that just because Apple throws this feature on the iPhone that it would work any better.<br><br>Apple trying to pass this off as an alternative to GPS makes as much sense as Verizon trying to pass off the LG Voyager as an alternative to the iPhone. However, if the Voyager has GPS, then they should be proud to lay claim to something iPhone can't do.<br><br>GPS in some respects is man's last stand against a nagging wife and having to ask for directions. <br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 02:25 PM

GPS in some respects is man's last stand against a nagging wife and having to ask for directions. <br><br><br> LOL... esp. when she has a "Garmin" in her car!<br><br><br>I've used the iPhone tracking feature. It's always a bit off... sometimes a lot. Would I rather have GPS? You bet. Would I have them turn this feature off now that I have it? No way.<br><br>

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 02:30 PM

The Z8 is a pretty cool phone, I think it replaces the Z6c.<br><br>Wouldn't mind getting a Razr 2 either. Mine's still going strong, but it's getting a little beat up.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 02:34 PM

The rep said I should not bother bringing my phone in to upgrade as it would take at least an hour hooked up to their computer. Is this right? He was trying to convince me to toss my V3C in the trash and go for the bling. Ws he nutty?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 02:59 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Okay, let's see a show of hands from those who have actually used this feature on iPhone. Anybody? <p><hr></blockquote><p>You bet. It works reasonably well in Vegas.<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 04:40 PM

I don't think Apple's trying to "pass this off" as the same as GPS. They don't hide the vague nature of the location.<br><br>What is IS is a very nice improvement to a very nice tool: Google maps.<br><br>The time I want a real GPS most is in a car--and then I want a bigger screen, voice integration, etc.--a dedicated driving device that need not be connected to my phone at all. (And I'm sure I will get one of those.) The rest of the time--planning trips, finding places to go, etc.--I'll gladly have maps on my phone, and precision location of where I am now is not vital. I generally know that when not driving <br><br>Real GPS would be the icing on the cake. The current system--getting me to the right map area--will most often do the job just fine for me.<br><br>If this is useless, then so is Google Earth and Google Maps and MapQuest and Yahoo Maps etc.... but those are not useless in fact. This goes one better: it has their satellite imagery (GREAT feature) and adds useful location-finding. Perfect? No.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 06:13 PM

I don't think Apple's trying to "pass this off" as the same as GPS.<br><br>I don't either, but I am tired of about hearing about this features shortcomings and it being compared to "real GPS".<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/29/08 07:09 PM

They almost talked me into a MOTO Z6C phone<br><br>You could probably get that for a steal... seeing as how moto is probably getting out of the cellphone business. I'd wait for the fire sale though.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 07:13 AM

Upgrade what? The Navigator software? You can upgrade it over the air in about 5 minutes.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 08:05 AM

Thanks, I dug down and found that Navigator is up to date. I had never noticed this GPS messaging. I will have to try it. It brings up all sorts of possibilities. The first of which is finding my phone when I lose it. Could my phone send me an email giving the position of the phone once a day? Besides being a weird thread in my mailbox (my position at midnight every night for a year would be weird) I could find the dang thing when I lose it. My secretary thinks I lose my phone just to upgrade but it is only because I am absent minded.<br><br>Have you tried using that RAZR as a bluetooth modem for a laptop? I was thinking this would be handy but these days it is very rare I can't find wireless somewhere.<br><br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 08:13 AM

"Have you tried using that RAZR as a bluetooth modem for a laptop? I was thinking this would be handy but these days it is very rare I can't find wireless somewhere."<br><br>Having used the bluetooth on my RAZR for couple of times for just quickie mp3 or cell-phone video to/from another phone and seeing how it sucks about 2/3 of the battery capacity at one go I'd suggest you plug it on the laptop via the USB cable for modem usage.<br><br>

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 08:25 AM

There's a hack to use it as a USB modem so you get EVDO speed instead of dialup speeds I've done. But you still end up paying minutes.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 08:31 AM

Oh yeah, you guys have the CDMA version of the RAZR, right? The GSM/3G version at least has an inbuilt HSDPA modem on it with which you can get ok speeds depending on whether you are inside a 3G network. Otherwise it just reverts to EDGE. Not that I've really used mine as a modem, just for email and some websurfing at times.<br><br>

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 08:33 AM

I have unlimited minutes. (Screwy because I might use 20 per month tops but it is a dot edu deal). You should check the verizon website, I think it was talking about a very fast connection. But likely it is just marketing hype. I think it has been six years since I have called in through a modem. I can't shake all the mental baggage I have from using an acoustic coupler and 300 baud for downloading grants. I would be happy to never hear a modem squeal in my life ever again.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 02:46 PM

OK MR Smartie.....<br><br><br>if Moses would have had one of these .....<br><br><br>well ..... he'd only spent 35 years in the wilderness... <br><br>Yeah I agree.... it's OK... my house pegs as about 1/2 block away with the Maps app.<br><br>But that's a plus for me... <br>when GW gets POed at all my remarks about him....<br> and sends a smart missle after me, Mr Smith's house will be toast !! <br>Mission Accomplished !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 04:23 PM

<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: Great iPhone tool - 01/30/08 08:46 PM

It may not have GPS, but it can do things like post on MM, which I'm doing now wink . Not to mention watching movies, listening to music, etc. What I'm really looking forward to is third party apps and someday faster Internet from ATT. <br><br><br>Salus populi suprema lex