Would someone explain

Posted by: yoyo52

Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:00 PM

Please! What makes AppleTV and the rental model any better than On Demand?<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Pete

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:02 PM

Well, I suppose there's the whole iLife tie-in, plus you're able to copy & store your own media files on there. With OnDemand, you're renting movies - that's it.<br><br>If you're strictly talking movie rentals, OnDemand only gives you 24 hours to watch the flick.<br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:14 PM

If you have SnapzPro, could you copy the movie as it's playing, I wonder?<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:15 PM

Only one way to find out! <br><br>Snapz is in the new MacHeist bundle....<br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:20 PM

is On Demand a cable thing? i don't think i have it on DirecTV. is that the pay per view channels where it's about $8 per movie? <br><br>

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:23 PM

Yeah, it's like PPV, but the movie prices are comparable to the video stores - about $4.99, cheaper for the older titles.<br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:27 PM

I like DVD's because they often offer excellent bonus material. For that reason alone I'll stick with Netflix. Netflix is expanding their BluRay availability, so that's a good thing too.<br><br><br><br> <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:40 PM

On Demand doesn't have any good movies? Besides that I guess that transportability of the AppleTV is the handiest feature. If I was going coast to coast I might load up the laptop with a couple of movies. Except I would rather read a book on a plane.<br><br>And you have to have Comcast to get On Demand. I've got it, I have this huge monthly bill and I don't watch any TV except for DVD's. The reason is I have to have the Red Sox in HD and they won't a la carte that out so I end up with 300 channels of sh[i][/i]it. <br><br>I have to stop saying I don't watch TV because I have secretly been recording Family Guy and I always recorded the Daily Show and Colbert and I spent the entire weekend watching the third season of Lost. I guess I do watch TV. <br><br>
Posted by: GingerBreadMan

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 03:55 PM

I have a digital PVR box from the Cable company. I fail to see how AppleTV even comes close. Is Apple TV even HD? I can watch HD on my set, on demand - while recording two other programs.<br><br>I'm pretty sure renting movies will only work in Steve's fantasyland 1Gb connection he had on stage during the demo. Once people start to rent movies on the net, the net will meltdown and it will take quite a long time before you can start watching.<br><br>Remember when the keynote was streamed live? Remember how it melted the net and just didn't work anymore?<br><br>Yeah, I'm pretty optimistic about everyone downloading HD movies on the net without problems <br><br>I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Posted by: FSM

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 04:30 PM

i have a huge bill for DirecTV because i need KU basketball and when i had cable it failed 20% of the time. DirecTV has a better relationship with ESPN for their Full Court service and that's what sells me year after year. to make matters worse, i have a Comcast cable modem and just realized not too long ago that they are also delivering cable television to me . . . free. i don't use it since i have DirecTV, but i am half tempted to cancel 2 of my 3 DirecTV receivers and switch those 2 tvs to cable television and save the $10/month. hmmm.<br><br>but OnDemand is allowing folks to get The Wire early. that's sort of appealing since folks i know talk about it before i can even see it. but, it's certainly not a make or break thing for me. KU hoops come first.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 07:17 PM

I think one thing is On Demand or PPView is only new movies... with Apple Movies,... you can get classics, oldies, or maybe ANY movie ANY time you want.<br><br>for me a 40 cent blank DVD and TCM is even better.... got 2 movies for eternity. man, 20 cents each... course I have to wait til they come "ON" , BUT there are so many I like there's always something good. got a bunch of J Cagney the past 2 weeks.,.. great stuff.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 08:04 PM

I'm happy with the combination of Netflix and On Demand, which both offer lots of free movies. "Free" is the magic word here. Apple still rules when it comes to music, computers, and cell phones, but it has a lot of ground to cover to beat what's already out there when it comes to movies. <br><br>Only problem with watching the Netflix free movies (there are about 6,000 of them to chose from) is that I have to boot into XP. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 08:42 PM

I didn't get the 'free' part. Didn't see the word anywhere there?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 08:50 PM

AppleTV isn't my thing, but iTunes rental has ease of use (especially the instant search) going for it.<br><br>As for On Demand... I don't have that, and if it requires some absurd cable charge (and I've never heard of a cable plan that wasn't) then it's out of the running.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 10:01 PM

I'd rather live without cable, but there's just no way to get a signal where in my house other than via cable. On Demand comes with the most basic of the digital packages, so it's expensive but not over the top. It also has a lot of free classic movies, as Donna said, and again as she said, between that and Netflix, we're doing ok. Still, I think that iTMS movie rentals could easily replace Netflix for us.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Would someone explain - 01/15/08 10:50 PM

I added up how many season passes (or individual shows) from iTunes I could buy before equalling the annual cost of even the cheapest cable package. It turned out that buying shows on iTunes was FAR cheaper than cable, unless I were to watch just insane numbers of hours. There isn't anywhere enough quality programming on cable to make me want that many hours.<br><br>I forget the math, but say cable is $60/month and a season pass is $30. I could watch TWENTY-FOUR entire shows--full seasons (plus reruns) on iTunes each year and equal the cost of cable. Or trade some of those seasons in for 15 individual specials. Regardless, it's a lot of TV!<br><br>And iTunes is ad-free. Paying for cable and THEN getting ads would drive me to drink.<br><br>So that plus free HD over-the-air has worked well for me. I also appreciate Netflix, and will sign up again someday--but what I want from them is rentals, not subscriptions. Happily, iTunes now offers that--but I'd return to Netflix for the selection if Netflix would offer rentals.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Would someone explain - 01/16/08 04:48 AM

Sorry, Kate. It's included in Netflix membership, so it's not free unless you already subscribe. I was secretly hoping the Apple movie rental deal would give me an excuse to cancel my Netflix subscription. :-(<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Would someone explain - 01/16/08 06:01 AM

I like the netflix on demand service ...except for the fact that it's windoze only ...and that the movies are pretty crappy for the most part. <br><br>Guess I don't like it all that much <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Would someone explain - 01/16/08 07:41 AM

I would try the Netflix thing if it weren't for the fact that it's Windows only for now, and I don't want to watch movies on my computer.<br><br>Can you stream the Netflix movies to an Apple TV? If not, I see no point in it unless you LIVE in front of your computer.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.