New Apple TV

Posted by: iRock

New Apple TV - 03/22/07 07:41 PM

Here it is. I was surprised how small it was.<br><br><br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: New Apple TV - 03/22/07 10:20 PM

Whatever happened to standard A/V component sizes? <br><br>DVD players have become crappy little boxes, this thing is a tiny little box, the satellite receivers are crappy little boxes.<br><br>Give me something that I can stack neatly on top of other A/V components (or better yet, rack mount like my Carver amps are capable of). I don't want stuff strewn all over the place because you can't stack it neatly.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Trog

Re: New Apple TV - 03/22/07 10:30 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Give me something that I can stack neatly on top of other A/V components<p><hr></blockquote><p>Heh heh, sounds like you need a new DVD player and a new satellite receiver. Then it would "stack" just fine.<br><br>I don't know how serious you are about this, but that has to be the lamest criticism I've ever heard. <br><br>"I wish my iPod was heavier, then it wouldn't slide off my car seat so easily."<br>"My printer is too compact, now I have to stretch all the way across my desk to pick up my printouts." <br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 12:33 AM

Hun...<br><br>...have you ever considered Waxing your arms? <br><br>btw, KEWL TV Thingy though! <br><br>[color:white].</font color=white><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 04:21 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I was surprised how small it was.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Did you let the IT guy show you his? TMI.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 06:00 AM

HeeHee we did make several jokes. <br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: Michael

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 06:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...have you ever considered Waxing your arms?<p><hr></blockquote><p>You beat me to it. You have to get up pretty early around here. <br><br>

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 06:28 AM

You should see my back!<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 10:10 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>I don't know how serious you are about this, but that has to be the lamest criticism I've ever heard.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>It's hardly lame to those of us who have spent considerable amount of time and money on their A/V setups and cable routings. My A/V equipment is sunk into the wall, with cables routed out of sight. These non-standard sizes aren't an efficient way of doing things. For people who don't have a lot of pieces of equipment, it might not be a big deal, but those of us who do prefer standard rack sizes.<br><br>My DVD player, btw is standard component size. There are plenty of 'em out there, but there are more of the crappy little things.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Pete

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 12:09 PM

Here's your solution - go to your nearest furniture store and steal one of those fake cardboard/plastic DVD/VCR models. Cut Apple-TV-sized hole in center of model. Drop in the Apple TV, poke holes in back for cables.<br><br>Done! <br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 01:05 PM

"Whatever happened to standard A/V component sizes?"<br><br>Standard? What standard, and why are you criticizing "crappy little boxes" because the fit and finish and footprint of these A/V products don't match your Carver amps? Because they don't have rack mounts? Are you serious?<br><br>You know the beauty of Apple TV is no one has to know you have one. You can plug it in and hide it. <br><br>It's inevitable that A/V manufacturers will incorporate the essence of Apple TV into their own products someday, so why not wait for Carver to develop theirs?<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 01:25 PM

So.... have you seen this article about how bad the image quality is with Apple TV? Can you comment on it (true or false)?<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Pete

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 01:27 PM

Depends on the size & resolution of the TV and the content delivered. YMMV, I suppose.<br><br>

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 02:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Standard? What standard, and why are you criticizing "crappy little boxes" because the fit and finish and footprint of these A/V products don't match your Carver amps? Because they don't have rack mounts?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Apparently no one here has ever owned an audio system.<br><br>Standard size is 3" high, 17" wide, 12.25" deep. Mainly it's the width and depth that count, the height is relatively unimportant, unless it's going in a rack. <br><br>There's no reason Apple couldn't have produced a nice slim product, but to the width and depth of a standard component so it could stack neatly. Slim Devices did it very nicely with their Transporter.<br><br>I'm all about good looks, but never at the expense of functionality. If it should be the other way around, we'd all still be using round mice.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: RubenC

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 03:06 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So.... have you seen this article about how bad the image quality is with Apple TV? Can you comment on it (true or false)?<p><hr></blockquote><p>My friend here at work just received his Apple TV yesterday, he has an HD LCD, and that was his first complaint. He claims the image was no more than 720p and even though that is considered mid level HD quality, he was not very happy with the end result.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 03:48 PM

I have owned an audio system..Yamaha high end one. Poweramp, preamp, tuner, Nakamichi cassette player (the one where it flipped the cassette around) and a Pioneer CD player.<br><br>But that was in 1985, back when things were big. Now I like the convenience of the smaller systems. Once I get the basement completed, I'm buying a receiver and satellite speakers for my TV. Smaller the better.<br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 03:55 PM

"I wish my iPod was heavier, then it wouldn't slide off my car seat so easily."<br><br>This is off-track of the whole thread, but size is somewhat of an issue for me. When my iPod was on the fritz I started check around, looking at my friend's Nano, and at my wife's Shuffle, and all I could think was, "I would lose either of these inside of a week."<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: lanovami

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 03:57 PM

Hey iRock, can we hear more about what you think of your new toy?<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 04:11 PM

Apparently you can put a bigger hard drive in it.<br><br>TUAW.com has an article about it.<br><br>

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 05:04 PM

It's not mine, it's my friend the IT guy at work. He says so far it's great, he watched a TV show out of iTunes and it was fine. He has a 52" TV I think and he said the quality was not that bad. This weekend he is trying the HD. He and his family are staying home all weekend to watch TV he said and he is going to give me a review on Monday.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: skim1420

Re: New Apple TV - 03/23/07 09:52 PM

I got mine a few days back and I've been ripping my DVDs to it. At first I started with only the kids' movies, which are prime candidates. Kids don't care too much (mine are young) about video quality, and I bypass the hassle of handling DVDs (not to mention they do die eventually in kids' hands).<br><br>Yeah, the video quality difference is noticeable, but only in some movies. The stuff from iTMS is just crap. I ripped my DVDs using MediaFork, with default settings.<br><br>I gotta say, the convenience is really underrated. Or was, at least in my mind, until I had it. It is VERY NICE being able to punch through my favorite movies as I please. I select a movie, and it starts. Unlike a DVD where I have to hit "next", "next", "fast forward 8x", "menu", "enter", "next", "next" to get the damn movie to start.<br><br>So.. I ripped some more to the AppleTV. About 30 of them now. It rocks.<br><br>Oh and you know what? I don't even have an HDTV. I have a 6-year-old Sony that handles component inputs. Its max capability is 480i (I know, I know) but hey I'm saving a grand. And now my wife and I can watch Battlestar Galactica on the TV instead of huddled around the iMac.<br><br>--<br>http://www.jackthevain.com/