pc formatted ipod on mac

Posted by: SammyG

pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/15/06 05:40 AM

This is an old question, I know, I've seen previous posts, but nothing is yet working. I'm running a new 30gb pc-formatted ipod on new itunes, and I want to be able to make playlists on my ipod using the mac, and take some tunes off the mac onto the ipod.<br><br>Currently my ipod is showing as an external drive and I can load songs onto it, but I cannot view it in the itunes menu, and I cannot see the music folder in the finder.<br><br>I have tried go to folder, /volumes/youripodname/ipod_control/music but it says it can't find it. <br><br>I've also tried using some code to view the hidden files in new command in terminal - but this doesn't seem to work either, although I might be donig it wrong.<br><br>Any urgent assistance greatly appeciated - I'm supposed to have 5 hours of music set-up on a playlist by thursday night for a party and I;m gonna look like the goon I am if I can't fix it!!<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Sam<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/15/06 07:06 AM

So why not reformat it for the Mac instead of a PC?<br><br>

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/15/06 12:56 PM

Sorry, didn't make it clear. I need to keep all the songs that are on the Ipod - I have nowgere to back it up. The PC where I had all my originals is in another country. I understand that reformatting will wipe the ipod, and I'm hoping to have my cake and eat it using both a pc and mac!!<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/15/06 01:17 PM

One of the iPod apps at versiontracker.com may help you copy the songs off the iPod. Then you can reformat and copy everything back the way you want it.<br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/15/06 01:24 PM

I recommend Senuti (iTunes backwards) by WB Young. Great app for this purpose!<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/16/06 12:15 PM

thanks for both your recommendations, but I'd really like to find the hidden files and avoid having to reformat my ipod. I don't have anywhere to really store the files as my mac only has a 40gb hd and a lot of it is taken up with video, I did have an external drive, but it was stolen!!<br><br>Any ideas on cracking the pod?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/16/06 12:27 PM

I fail to understand how seeing the invisible files will allow you to set up a play list, because you have to do that in iTunes - which would require you to have the music on the computer. But if you know of a way of doing it right from the iPod then you can search at MacUpdate or Versiontracker for any of the numerous applications that will make the folders on the iPod visible.<br><br>

Re: pc formatted ipod on mac - 05/16/06 12:55 PM

Would I not be able to create playlists by accessing the songs on my ipod via a computer? I've only recently got the ipod, so forgive my inexperience. I was under the impression that if the ipod appeared in my itunes menu I could access the files and create playlists - is that incorrect? <br><br>