iPod to speakers?

Posted by: iraszl

iPod to speakers? - 12/04/02 07:25 AM

A friend of mine wants to play the mp3s from his iPod on his home music center. Is there a way to do it? Thanks!<br><br>http://raszl.net
Posted by: Lori

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/04/02 07:45 AM

I found this exerpt:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>As someone who cares not only about "music" (weak) but also about sound (sweet), I can finally have in iPod a convenient, portable, audiophile solution. With a Radio Shack audio patch cord (Steve, would it kill you to include the @#$$% $2 cable in the box?) I can load up an iPod with a decent CD-quality music collection (more than 100 songs in good old CD format), plug it into any stereo system, and listen to music that sounds 99.9% as good as a real CD played on that stereo system. No more lugging dozens of CDs to parties; no more foregoing the music of my choice when I travel to visit friends and family; and no more turning on the CD changer and amplifier on the second floor, running down to the first floor to relax, running back up the stairs to adjust the volume or change out a CD, etc, etc, blech. I can just plug an iPod into anything with an amp and speakers and I'm good to go. And if I want to compromise between good sound and high capacity, I can load up more than 400 mp3s encoded at 320kbps and do the same thing.<p><hr></blockquote><p>from MacOpinion<br>I found the cable to hook up to the stereo and one to hook up to speakers here.<br>Hope it helps!<br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/04/02 06:11 PM

Thanks Lori! Great site for accessories!<br><br><br>[color:red]Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/04/02 08:13 PM

I don't want to bad-mouth a site, at least not quite yet. But (you knew there was a but coming, now, didn't you?) . . . . I ordered an ethernet adapter from those folks about a week and a half ago, and so far all I've gotten from them is the email acknowledging the order. The site claimed that the product was in stock, so I don't know what the hold up is. Seeing Lori's post reminded me that I wanted to email them about the order, so I just did it. Will let you know what happens.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/05/02 04:25 AM

Yup, you just need an RCA plug. I use mine with my home stereo, it is great. 10 hours of non-stop music. The RCA plug is just two regular stereo connectors at the stereo and then one that goes to the iPod. Like a "Y."<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/05/02 07:16 AM

Thanks again!<br><br>http://raszl.net

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/05/02 06:09 PM

Keep us posted..cause I was thinking of ordering. What shipping did you choose?<br><br><br>[color:red]Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/05/02 07:14 PM

I got an email back today, which says that the item was back-ordered, but that it shipped today (what a coincidence) and gave me an UPS tracking number. I guess I wouldn't mind, except that it took an email from me to get them to notify me of what was going on. That should happen automatically.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Trog

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/05/02 10:28 PM

Here's another alternative. The iRock (not the MacBabe one )<br><br>I have something like this (but not specifically an iRock) for my car and it works pretty nicely. The sound will be a little better with a true cable, but this will link the Pod with any FM receiver and keeps things mobile!<br><br>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/06/02 02:40 AM

I have that. Problem is, when you take a long drive, you have to switch the frequencies.<br><br>[color:red]the banana has left the building</font color=red>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/06/02 03:57 AM

Wait for Griffin to come out with their new device for this. The ones out now suck and are limited to about 4 frequencies I believe. A friend of mine wants to give me his FM transmitter thing, I told him thanks, but no thanks. He says it sucks. So, I am going to wait until there is a better mousetrap from Griffin for that. <br><br>On another note about hooking up the iPod to a stereo, you can get the RCA plug "Y" cable at any old store like Target for example. Radio Shack too of course.<br><br>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/06/02 03:59 AM

Return that damned banana to it's rightful owner! Or just eat it.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/06/02 06:22 AM

Thank you Mike... I was going to say that very same thing!!! <br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: RubenC

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/06/02 10:32 AM

Thanks Lori Great site!<br><br>[color:blue]If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. - Milton Berle</font color=blue>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/06/02 01:19 PM

I don't understand why you guys are so worried about frequencies. It takes about two seconds to change, and I rarely do anyway. My generic transmitter only has two frequencies. <br><br>I can't imagine why you would want/need more than four. Here in Tucson we have a FM radio station that broadcasts at exactly one of the frequencies that my transmitter uses, but I don't even notice a difference in background between that frequency and the other one that isn't used by local radio??<br><br>My only problem is an inherent one, FM radio doesn't quite have CD quality, but I don't think more frequencies are going to help that.<br><br>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/07/02 04:11 AM

I am not talking about the frequencies being a problem. I have heard that the sound quality is bad with these things. The new Griffin one is supposedly going to be much better in that respect. At least that is what I have heard. Maybe it is all marketing BS on the other hand.<br><br>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/07/02 07:30 AM

Any mini-stereo plug to RCA cable should serve you very nicely and can be readily had from any radio shack or similar electronics store. Apple stores even sell these in the form of the higher end, more expensive monster cables. iPod fans can stay abreast of the latest accessories and a all things Ipod here:<br><br>http://www.ipoding.com/<br><br>I loved mine so much, I bought three... <br><br>Enjoy!<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPod to speakers? - 12/07/02 07:59 AM

No, it's not BS. I bought my wife one of those FM Transmitters for her iPod when she was on a road trip. The thing was terrible. Not only is it rare that you find a channel to use, but the quality of the music is barely recognizeable at worst, and about as good as a tape player at best. For that reason, she has switched to one of those cassette to iPod adapters.<br><br>The problem is, we live in a very large city and all the frequencies are used... we even get the Spanish stations.<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: iPod to speakers? - 01/09/03 10:44 PM

Whoa! Look at the new iTrip, it can tune to any frequency and doesn't even require power! Plus look at the size of it, amazing. I'll be getting that. I wonder how much drain it would cause on the iPod?<br>Hmmmm...<br>

Re: iPod to speakers? - 01/10/03 02:52 AM

That does look cool..just wonder what the sound is like?<br><br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: iPod to speakers? - 01/12/03 08:31 AM

that does look cool... the problem I have with FM transmitters is that they never output enough power to allow the user to not have to boost the volume on the radio and/or the iPod.<br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie

Re: iPod to speakers? - 01/12/03 09:13 AM

That is a good point. Several times I've nearly made my ear drums bleed by unplugging the transmitter before turning the volume down. Ouch! <br><br>