HUGE iPod Trouble!!!

Posted by: Optimus_George

HUGE iPod Trouble!!! - 03/29/05 02:15 PM

Something happened and my iPod is totally messed up. It says that there is no songs on it but there is data (13 gigs worth) on it. I can restore the factory default... but that will get rid of EVERYTHING. Is there any way to force mount the iPod on the desktop so that I can save something? I have apps and some files on it I'd rather not lose! Maybe some fancy dance UNIX command or something!? HELP!!!<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: HUGE iPod Trouble!!! - 03/29/05 02:25 PM

Does it show up in Disk Utility? You could try running that.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: HUGE iPod Trouble!!! - 03/29/05 02:31 PM

Does it mount at all?<br><br>Are you trying to mount it via firewire??? If so, try the USB cable. There is a serious bug in the latest firmware updates and 10.3.8 which makes it impossible to mount with firewire for a lot of people, myself included.<br><br>If you manage to be able to mount it, you can enable hidden files in the finder with tinkertool, or in terminal type:<br><br>defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles '1'<br><br>and relaunch the finder.<br><br>Then you'll see the hidden ipod control folder:<br><br><br><br>As you can see the music folder is in there. There's no rhyme or reason to the way the ipod puts songs in those folders, so don't even bother trying. :)<br><br>Just dump that folder onto itunes and it'll add all the songs to your library, then you can reformat the ipod without losing anything. just make sure itunes is set to copy songs to your music folder.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: HUGE iPod Trouble!!! - 03/29/05 03:44 PM

Sarge has you all taken care of. <br><br>If the iPod doesn't show in the Finder, then open disk utlity with the ipod plugged in, Then you can highlight it and click 'mount.'<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: HUGE iPod Trouble!!! - 03/29/05 05:11 PM

Thanks you two! Big help, Trog, with the Disk Utility and Sarge thanks for the hidden files suggestion. I never would have thought of that one. I was able to get everything that was on my iPod back without too much trouble. You both get smiley faces for the day!<br><br> Trog<br><br> Sarge<br><br>