iPod Hard Drive replacement.

Posted by: pgamble

iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/21/05 10:27 PM

I have never posted and I do not know why I havn't. I have an old iPod that I would like to fix up and leave in the RAV. I have the orginal iPod in the 5GB model. The hard drive clicks loud and the sad iPod face comes up everytime. Has anyone replaced the Hard Drive in these. I have been able to get inside it in the past. I did not mind carfully opening after I got a new iPod Photo. I want to go be cheep with fixing it. Thanks. I will have to start posting. You seem like a fun group. :-)<br><br>www.patgamble.com
Posted by: hayesk

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 06:08 AM

Look at the Macminute front page.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 06:57 AM

Here's a recent thread about it.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 07:05 AM

My thread was about battery replacement- isn't he talking about the storage space?<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: Trog

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 07:06 AM

Ooops! Gotta read the whole thread first! <br><br>

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 12:54 PM

I would like to do this myself. I really do not want to spend the money ($119) to ship them out and have someone else do it. Does anyone know of a vendor that sell the 5GB hard drives cheep? <br><br>Cheers!<br>Patrick<br><br>www.patgamble.com

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 12:57 PM

Here's the direct link in case anyone doesn't want to wade through the site...<br><br>I was wondering if there was any hack-around to convert an old 3G iPod into an iPod Photo? I'm thinking a HD replacement, some new firmware and a Camera Connector? <br><br>I really have no clue what the differences between the older and newer Photo models are, but with all the 3rd-party iPod part-replacement offers cropping up lately, it just got me thinking...<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 01:01 PM

When I bought my iPod Photo Apple told me that there was no difference in the New 60GB and the old one. It was just packaged differently and comes with less stuff. <br><br>Cheers!<br>Patrick<br><br><br>www.patgamble.com

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 01:12 PM

Well there must be *some* significant differences- after all you're able to view the photos on the screen on the newer ones, and I don't see that happening on an older model.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: srumrill

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/22/05 01:57 PM

The new iPod photos also have longer battery life.<br><br>

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/23/05 09:15 PM

Does anyone know how long it takes to not be a newbie on this forum? It make me feel inferior. <br><br>www.patgamble.com
Posted by: drjohn

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/23/05 09:46 PM

Depends on number of posts<br><br>0 Stranger <br>1 Newbie <br>25 Regular <br>50 Journeyman <br>100 Jr. Member <br>250 Member <br>500 Senior Member <br>1000 Executive Member <br>1500 Pooh-Bah <br>2500 Grand Pooh-Bah <br>5000 Master <br>10000 Grand Master <br>25000 Legend <br>50000 Immortal<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/24/05 05:55 AM

Hey! Speak only when spoken to, frosh! (errr, newbie) <br><br><br>
Posted by: amazing

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/28/05 09:00 PM

Here's a link to a 20 GB ipod HD for $93<br><br>http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=T20MK2004L&c=pw<br><br>There's an article that suggests that replacing a 3G or newer HD is OK, but that an older iPod needs a specially formatted HD. Use Google to find MacUser in the UK, free registration, do a search on the Ipod. Here's a quote:<br><br>"Choosing a replacement hard disk is a tricky business. Apple uses modified Toshiba drives in its iPods and so using a generic replacement will not work in a FireWire iPod. The simple answer is to buy a replacement taken from an old iPod, with prices starting at around 90 for a 20GB model.<br><br>However, if you have got a third- or fourth-generation iPod (the ones with the docking cradle) and a Mac running Mac OS X 10.3.4 with USB 2 ports, you can use any replacement hard disk and connect to your Mac using USB 2. It still will not work over FireWire but that's a small loss."<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/29/05 05:44 AM

I know of someone that has used a 40 GB in a 1st gen iPod - they just used carbon copy cloner to dump on to an external drive then back to the upgraded iPod.... but you are right with the special format.<br><br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/29/05 07:05 AM

Why would one need to use CCC? Is that to save any special iPod software on the drive, or just to back up whatever one would have saved on there?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/29/05 12:20 PM

It's because the first couple megs on the drive are write blocked so you need the info from that part of the partition.<br><br>The 1st gen were also Mac Formatted only.<br><br>Those two bits are just guesses though.<br><br>Googling all of this would probably provide some good backup and I think it's discussed on ipodlounge<br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: iPod Hard Drive replacement. - 03/29/05 12:34 PM

Ah- gotcha...<br><br>So swapping in a new drive to a 3G shouldn't provide any such problems, should it? I would think the iPod Software updater would take care of any formatting problems, regardless of the generation... You know, just pop in the new HD, connect to Mac, run the iPod SU - iPod's good to go, right?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>