downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac

Posted by: Anonymous

downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/18/05 12:35 AM

Does anyone know how to download from my iPod which is PC formatted to my mac G4? I just bought both in the past few months and am a Mac newbie. Thanks for any help<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/18/05 07:11 AM

Yes, you certainly can.<br><br>Macs can connect to both Mac and PC formatted iPods.<br>PCs can only connect to PC formatted iPods (unless they buy third party software)<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/18/05 07:13 AM

Download the songs off of it? Or stored Files?<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/18/05 01:17 PM

Unless I'm missing something here, just use Tinkertool to show hidden files, then drag the ipod control folder off the ipod onto your hard drive. <br><br>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/19/05 03:36 PM

"Macs can connect to both Mac and PC formatted iPods"<br><br>Mind explaining that - it can't be done without third party software either on Mac - something like iPod ACCess.<br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/20/05 07:48 PM

Sure, I'll explain that. Plug PC formatted iPod into Mac. Drag files on and off iPod. Enjoy.<br><br>I'm not talking about getting the music off, I'm talking about using it as an external disk. The original post didn't specify he wanted to grab the music.<br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/21/05 09:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Mind explaining that - it can't be done without third party software either on Mac - something like iPod ACCess.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Bzzzzt. Wrong. Sorry. Try again.<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/21/05 01:11 PM

Mind explaining that SgtBaxter??... if the purpose is to get songs from a PC formatted iPod it can't be done without 3rd party software.<br><br>Can you people post detailed replies ... or do you simply enjoy sticking your tongue out?<br><br>It would be nice if the original thread creator would clarify for us.<br><br>So Hayesk, you are correct but only for file content....not tunes.<br><br><br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & WWW.JACKWHISPERS.COM<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by adzoox on 03/21/05 04:13 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/21/05 02:45 PM

Mind explaining what? You don't need any special program to access the songs on the iPod, just the finder.<br><br>The play songs on any ipod, mac or pc formatted are simply inside of a hidden iPod control folder which is easily accessed from the finder. Enable hidden attributes to be seen in the finder, or in the go menu in the "Go to Folder" type in the url -> /volumes/youripodname/iPod_Control/Music<br><br>The ID tags in the aac or mp3 files allow you to simply drag that folder to itunes, and it'll add them all to the library automatically. Those programs aren't doing anything magical, y'know. The newer versions of iTunes recognize duplicate songs so you can easily get rid of them.<br><br>Likewise, a pc formatted ipod works perfectly on a Mac with iTunes... unless my PC formatted iPod just works as a fluke? <br><br>Nope... it works just fine... it's just not officially supported by Apple. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't support most of the stuff they probably should.<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/21/05 03:27 PM

I just tried the "go to" with a PC formatted iPod on my Powerbook adding the name of the iPod into the proper place .... didn't work.<br><br>As far as I know - it's not just a finding the songs or making the folders visible - have you actually done this?<br><br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/22/05 06:10 AM

You could also go in with the Terminal. "ls -a" will show all folders, visible or otherwise.<br><br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/22/05 06:52 AM

This applescript can be saved as either a script or application (whichever you prefer) ...it will allow you to browse and open invisible folders.<br><br>set theFolder to choose folder with invisibles<br>tell application "Finder"<br> open theFolder<br>end tell<br><br>also, as far as I am aware you can only copy .mp3s out of the invisible folder on your iPod. The AAC files are encrypted when they are sent to the disk and aren't actually "files" on the disk anymore ...could be wrong though<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/22/05 08:05 AM

This is true and this is what i was getting at .... the files also MUST be called WITH an extension .mp3 to even be copyable at all.<br><br>Even non DRMed AAC files cannot be copied from a PC formatted iPod to a Mac without a program like iPod ACCess which essentially clones the iPod drive bit for bit and the interprets the data as data to transfer.<br><br><br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/22/05 10:48 AM

Dude, you're wrong, plain and simple:<br><br><br><br>There's no encryption. There's nothing mysterious going on. They're just files inside folders flagged as invisible in the finder. Notice they're all AAC files.<br><br>If you want to see invisible files in the finder, type this in terminal:<br><br>defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles '1'<br><br>You can then just go in and browse to your heart's content. Go ahead, the finder will play them in the preview pane. Just drag either the music or ipod_control folder onto the itunes library and it'll import the songs.<br><br><br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/22/05 03:02 PM

I could have swore it used to not let you see any AAC files. I remember I had a program to download songs off of my iPod, but it only worked with .mp3s (which I have a whole dozen or so songs in) ...but you are correct. I can see them for sure now. Thanks for the correction!<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/22/05 07:59 PM

I don't see this as being a PC formatted iPod ... but thanks for the clarification and picture ... but as a note ... I can't understand why everyone on these boards has to be so confrontational and arrogant when they make points.<br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 07:03 AM

Just a point of clarification: saying "Mind explaining that - " and then saying something as if it was fact can come off as being confrontational and arrogant. Some responses are just reactionary to that.<br><br>Also, most of us have been here a while so sometimes we get sarcastic with each other, and pretend to be arrogant because we know the other party will understand and often get a chuckle out of it.<br><br>In other words, don't worry about it. It's no big deal.<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 09:11 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>most of us have been here a while so sometimes we get sarcastic with each other,<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Actually, I'm just a jackass and love it :)<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 09:16 AM

Yeah...this isn't the place for thin-skinned people....thanks for pointing that out, you worthless bastard!<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 09:30 AM

You're calling him worthless??? What about your dumbass avatar... now that's useless!!! :D<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 02:38 PM

Hey, suppose you 3 numbnuts get a room, eh? <br><br><br>SarcASStic my foot. <br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 03:04 PM

My nuts aren't numb... but damn they sure do itch!!<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/23/05 04:21 PM

FTI! TFI! TFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!! <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>But I betcha Pete'll scratch 'em if you ask nice! <br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/24/05 04:31 PM

If any of the responses were witty or even funny it would be different ... but the average thread here degenerates into potty humor<br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM
Posted by: Morom

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/24/05 06:53 PM

What's the problem with potty humor? Just picturing Pete itch'n SgtBaxter's nuts get a chuckle out of me....<br><br>Oh crap, now I can't get the image out of my head.... Oh the nightmare's I'm going to be having tonight... <br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.
Posted by: Pete

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/24/05 07:04 PM

How did *I* get dragged into this? I don't think I've even READ this thread until today...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/24/05 09:18 PM

And yet us unwitty and unfunny folk know far more about fat 32 formatted iPods than you! <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SgtBaxter on 03/25/05 00:18 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/24/05 09:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>How did *I* get dragged into this?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Apparently you scratched Steve's nuts as a goodwill gesture and now he's pimping you out.<br><br>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/25/05 11:38 AM

Don't knock it, Sarge. The guy's got quite a technique!<br><br>Now, pardon me while I have a smoke. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/25/05 11:43 AM

Errrrrrrr...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: downloading iPod/PC Format to my Mac - 03/25/05 12:32 PM

Go with the flow Pete. It's out in the open now. <br><br><br><br>*Whew, good thing my wife doesn't read these boards* <br><br><br>