Anyone have any luck with...

Posted by: Pete

Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 08:03 AM

The iPod battery replacement program?<br><br>I think I may be having some problems with mine- didn't hold a charge after what seemed like a whole weekend with the device plugged into my Mac...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by:

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 08:05 AM

You thinking about the offical route or the cheaper route?<br><br>(You can be the guinea pig, so you should go the cheaper route.) <br><br>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 08:09 AM

The cheaper route being to buy the battery myself and perform surgery?<br><br>AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHANo.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by:

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 08:25 AM

Why not? You pry it open, plug it in and smash it back together. What do you think the buttnut they pay $4.75/hr. at Apple's repair house is gonna do differently?<br><br>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 08:45 AM

Hey, that's not nice...our own Michael used to BE a 'buttnut'.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 08:53 AM

Looks like Smalldog does it for $50...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/08/05 09:07 AM

It's VERY easy - ask a local guy to do it for you.<br><br>Buy the Newer Tech high capacity battery - they're awesome<br><br><br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/10/05 12:07 PM

Do you have a link to the battery you're referring to? Does it come with a instruction kit perchance? <br><br>I just got off phone with Smalldog and they claim that battery replacement is not that hard at all, and that I should be able to do it myself. So if the higher capacity battery you posted about comes with instructions, I might give it a whirl.<br><br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: Morom

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/10/05 12:11 PM

Well, there is this one if you have a 4G iPod<br><br>http://macminute.com/2005/03/03/newertech-owc/<br><br>That same link also gives you options for other generations of iPod's as well if you don't have the 4G.<br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/10/05 12:25 PM

Thanks- I sorta found that link on my own, but that particular site doesn't offer a replacement service. Just don't wanna scratch the hell out of my iPod is all...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/10/05 12:31 PM

Yeah, but they do provide all the necessary tools for ya, so at least your not using a butter knife to pop open the case... <br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/10/05 12:36 PM

I'm looking at the videos on the site and it looks *fairly* easy to accomplish- of course, this clip could have been shot after the guy screwed up 54 previous installations...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/10/05 12:51 PM

From what it looks like on the video, the tool they send you is plastic. So unless you can scratch metal with plastic, I think you should be pretty safe.<br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/15/05 08:30 AM

FYI I just got my Newer Tech iPod battery in the mail yesterday, but the funny thing is the battery life seems to have improved once I started charging the iPod *without* the protective sleeve I bought from Booq™ a while ago.<br><br>I have the new battery ready to go, however, if it ever completely dies...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/15/05 09:41 AM

I bought one over the weekend too. We'll see how it goes when it gets here.<br><br>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 10:00 AM

Ok, I just replaced my 3G iPod battery myself with the Newer Technology battery ($29). That sucked. <br><br>My fingers are sore and I broke the tools they sent me trying to get that F#*@ing case apart. There came a point when I was less gentle and I think that is just what it takes. The plastic casing is really pretty tough and I don't think I could break it very easily even if I really tried (actually, I came pretty close to trying).<br><br>Getting the case apart was far and away the hardest part. After that, the only other hard part was getting the wires of the new battery out of the way of the case so they don't get pinched off when you put the case back together. The battery is bigger and the wires are shorter and thicker than the original. So, it took me about 15 minutes until I was satisfied enough to reassemble.<br><br>The thing is charging now, so I'll give one more report after I use it and see that everything is working ok, and that the battery life is longer. So far, no additional scratches on the case, it booted up when I plugged it in, and mounted on the desktop just fine.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 01:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>There came a point when I was less gentle and I think that is just what it takes.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Here, in case you have to fix your bicyle...Mr. Hands<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 09:47 PM

I'll have you know that my iPod is running better than ever now! Sometimes it just takes a little tough love. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 10:09 PM

This dude uses force right off the bat to seperate the metal backing from the housing to get the tool in...he swaps it out in like..less than a minute. <br><br>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 10:26 PM

Hahaha. That's exactly the video I used as instruction and that is NOT force. I am quite certain that is not a 'virgin' iPod he's using there either. That guy just slides the tool along the edges and bingo! its open! What a piece of cake.<br><br>Whatever. They gave me two of those little blue tools and I bent and broke the tips off them both trying to slide it along and pry that sucker open. Eventually I just shoved the broken blunt end in with some force and the whole side just popped open. It could have turned out differently. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 10:40 PM

I wondered about that.....cause I remember the case on my 3G was closed tight. <br><br>You see the instructions for the 4G iPod? The battery is glued in...and they reccomend using a glue gun or a hair dryer to get it out. <br><br>

Re: Anyone have any luck with... - 03/19/05 11:31 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The battery is glued in...and they reccomend using a glue gun or a hair dryer to get it out.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm sure there is a very good reason for that. <br><br>