Using an iPod in the car (UK)

Posted by: youreds

Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 02:17 AM

I have tried using my iPod in the car with an iTrip but the signal doesn't stay static free for long. Has anyone got any ideas for a better way to use my iPod through my car CD/radio player?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 04:07 AM

I had a iTrip, the thing generally sucks. I gave up trying to use it. If you are deteremined to use the iPod in your car get a cassette adapter to play it through or see if you can hook an RCA type cable to the unit. If you have a Becker FM/CD unit in the car (like my Porsche has for instance), you can get a conversion kit for about $10 that lets you hookup an RCA cable like that. Otherwise, the cassette adapter is probably your best bet. The total uselessness of the iTrip has turned me off forever on anything from Griffin. In addition they always hype their new products and then delay getting them to market for months and months. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 04/10/04 07:10 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 07:19 AM

I didn't even bother with the iTrip- what I did was buy a whole new car stereo with an AUX input that I could directly connect to my iPod- the sound is as near perfect as you're gonna get, and I don't have to worry about interference or the cassette deck chewing up my adaptor...<br><br>For $100 American dollars you could probably find something to suit your needs...Not sure if places like crutchfield.com ship overseas, but AIWA makes some models with inputs in the front, if you can find them where you live...<br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 07:21 AM

Ohhh..I want one of those DM! Did you install it yourself?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 05:41 PM

I wonder if our new Acura has that AUX input. Have to check the manual I guess or ask the dealer. That would be handy if it did. <br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 05:52 PM

You can look for the Aux input in the front panel of the radio, simple.<br><br><br><br>Justice is like the serpent, only bites the barefoot.

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 08:14 PM

No, I bought it from Circuit City and they provided free installation...<br><br>Some of the stereos have an optional AUX installation in the back, in which case you need some special adaptor (forget the name- the guy in the store should know) which will convert the port on the back of the stereo to one that can attaxh to a RCA to minijack connector, which you can plug into the iPod's headphone port.<br><br>Which is what I did...<br><br>I have the aux cable fed through my console and out of one of the storage compartments- when I don't need the cable for the iPod, I just tuck it back into the compartment and close it...<br><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/10/04 10:44 PM

Yeah obviously, but if it is in the back it is a bit more work.<br><br>

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/11/04 07:09 AM

Then you gotta leave that up to the pros...take it to an electronics store and let them do it- if all they're doing is providing the adaptor and feeding the cable through the back, then it should cost that much to do...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/11/04 09:31 AM

Yep, I would go that route for sure. I hate screwing around the backside of radio installations on cars. Been there, done that. <br><br>

Re: Using an iPod in the car (UK) - 04/12/04 07:14 AM

Of course I meant to say *SHOULDN'T* cost that much at all to do...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>