iPod for jogging?

Posted by: iraszl

iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 02:33 AM

Can I take an iPod for jogging?<br><br>http://raszl.net
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 02:39 AM

Well, it doesn't have any legs to run with...so if you don't mind a severly scratched/chipped case...sure! <br><br><br>seriously...do you have a case with it? I have heard others taking it with them when they go jogging, but not me. <br><br><br><br>I don't jog. <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 03:31 AM

i mean it has a hard disk with moving parts. i guess it doesn't do any good to it to shake it for 30 minutes.<br><br>http://raszl.net
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 04:50 AM

It has a motion sensor and locks the hard disk in place when it is moving to prevent damage to the hard disk and just plays from the cache. This does mean that if you are jogging for more than 20 minutes it will stop playing until you stop moving.<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 07:21 AM

Yes, you can take it jogging. It has skip protection which works quite well.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Trog

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 08:09 AM

Yeah, I have case from Xtrememac with a belt clip and it NEVER skips when running. The thing is a wonderful combination of engineering and art; worth every penny.<br><br>One piece of advice that took me a short while to figure out, clip it on the front of your hip bone, not on the side like a gun holster. If it is on the side it tends to twirl around while you run. <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 02:39 PM

I have my "people" run next to me while holding it! <br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 03:47 PM

MG, I didn't know imaginary friends could actually grasp objects in the physcial world? <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 04:11 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>This does mean that if you are jogging for more than 20 minutes it will stop playing until you stop moving.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm no marathon runner, but this isn't true. On extremely good days I've jogged for almost an hour and it never stops. In fact, it loads new songs into the cache while I'm running (you can tell because there is about a 3 second delay). If you look at Apple's information FAQ about the 'pod it clearly states that it was manufactured with this sort of use in mind... but I have no idea how it doesn't become damaged.<br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/23/02 05:02 PM

Cool..I'm learning more myself. I was afraid of it bouncing around in my pocket while walking! Hmmm...<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 07:52 AM

I had a 5gb and now a 20gb and they both work great while exercising, running, riding, etc. The memory buffer works great. I've exercised for several hours and not missed a note.<br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 02:09 PM

I would love to have the 20GB one...<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 02:52 PM

You and me both--in fact, I'd love to have any one of them!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 03:12 PM

I have the 5GB and love it!<br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 05:07 PM

My wife won't leave the house without her iPod... she absolutely loves it. I wish I had waited for the larger models, I got her the original.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 05:17 PM

I would love to have one but i don't have $300-500 for a mp3 player.... <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 06:00 PM

Yes, they are expensive, but my wife enjoys music more than anyone I know, so it was quite worth the $$$. She gets a great deal of enjoyment out of listening to so much music at a whim.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 06:22 PM

That's good, but i never was a huge fan of music. <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/29/02 07:08 PM

I love listening to music<br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/30/02 06:24 AM

the 20gig should be included on your Xmas list! Pass the 5gb down to someone else in the family!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/30/02 10:33 AM

Like me? <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/30/02 01:46 PM

Yeah right..we draw names in our family and something of that value is never considered. I never get stuff like that for presents..always have to buy it myself. <br><br>And with my birthday 5 days after Christmas...you can guess what I get..nothing. <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/30/02 02:18 PM

Hey, my birthday is Jan 5th--and in a Latin American context, that's particularly bad because it's the eve of epiphany, and epiphany is the day on which Latin Americans traditionally exchange gifts, not Christmas day. So I feel your pain, man <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: iPod for jogging? - 09/30/02 02:56 PM

LOL... I know what you mean. My birthday is December 1st, so people always skimp on the gift cause they know Xmas is right around the corner!<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 02/05/03 11:55 PM

Well, I got my new 20 gig iPod last week and it *was* beautiful. I've had a 5 gig for almost a year and used it everyday, including running, biking, you name it and it never missed a beat.<br><br>The first time I took the 20gig one jogging it wouldn't load the songs into memory (as someone said in this thread long ago). After checking the Apple discussion forums, sure enough, a lot of people with the 10 and 20 gig versions have the same problem. Apparently, something about the 10 and 20 gig iPod HDs is different and it has much more trouble loading the RAM when it is being jiggled around. Crap! There is not one person who has experienced this with the 5 gig version.<br><br>I poked around in the Apple Knowledge base and found this article which states, "iPod is designed to handle rigorous activity such as jogging or running..."<br><br>So, I wrote Apple and in 24 hours they had already sent a box for repair. I sure hope they can fix it. <br><br>---<br><br>By the way, my wife is sure smug with the 'hand-me-down' 5 gig. Maybe this will teach me not to be so greedy about the new stuff! <br><br>

Re: iPod for jogging? - 02/06/03 07:39 AM

So greed is not good? Surely you jest <br><br>Hope the repair works out for you.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"