ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall!

Posted by: Anonymous

ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/23/02 01:48 PM

http://www.edig.com/news/releases/pr072202.html<br><br>http://www.edig.com/images/Odyssey1000web_small2.jpg <br><br><br>Best feature is you can control ODYSEEY 1000 with your voice. $349 list.<br><br>Features:<br><br>20 Gigabyte hard drive <br>13-hour minimum playback time <br>Mac and PC compatible <br>Mac iTunesTM compatible <br>Drag n Rip copies music directly from CD to player<br> <br>USB 2.0 high-speed download <br>Typical USB 2.0 transfer rate: 8 Megabytes per second (MBps) <br>Voice navigation using VoiceNavTM technology <br>Built-in microphone for voice recording <br><br>MP3, Windows MediaTM (WMA), and WAV file playback <br>FM tuner with 12 preset stations <br><br>16 MB DRAM anti-shock buffering <br>Five-band equalizer with 5 presets and 1 user-defined setting <br><br>Approximate dimensions: 2.87" x 4.3" x 0.9" (73mm x 110mm x 22.8mm) <br>Blue backlit electro-luminescent LCD with adjustable settings <br>Internal real-time clock <br><br>WMA Digital Rights Management (DRM) support <br>Combined audio out and remote control jack <br><br>Multi-language support via firmware upgrade <br>Playlist creation through user interface <br>Firmware upgradeable <br>Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery charges in 4 hours<br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Maybe, maybe not ... - 07/23/02 04:46 PM

First, I'll believe this when I see it - the images look like P'shop mock-ups - not even a proof-of-concept model. So when they actually produce these things and put them on the market, then I'll take a more serious look at it.<br><br>Second, if this *IS* what they're intending it to look like, they're flirting with an Apple look-and-feel lawsuit. I'd wager that the lights are burning brightt at Apple Legal on this one =)<br><br>Having said all that, it sounds like a nice feature set. I'm not sure how Mac-compatable it will be with a USB-2 port, though - even if it works with USB-1, that's gonna still be an awfully slow xfer rate... the Tuner sounds nice - the voice-activation is just a silly gimmick =)<br><br>FWIW,<br><br>***matt<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/24/02 09:32 PM

Blatant rip-off!!!<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/24/02 09:39 PM

The only accual feature that would make me get it is the voice thing. BUT that's still only if I also decided to be a traitor to apple, no way will I be getting it. This October the 20GB iPod is mine.<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: Maybe, maybe not ... - 07/26/02 02:21 PM

listen - design is always about attention to details - just hold that lovable iPOD in your hand. every radius , material, finish, is carefully thought out by arguably one of the most talented and "tuned into their users" design team in the world. I'm so tired of people calling things "killers" that are due to come out on the merits of design. This thing you speak of is a design nightmare and it looks as if the engineers did it themselves. they should be embarrased if there objective was to copy the aesthetics of the iPOD. I know this is just one of the elements of a product (it's physical aesthetics) but I would be willing to bet that the interface is a sad piece of work as well. I will admit , as far as I am concerned, the voice recording would be a cool detail , but the design of these so called "killers" will always leave something to be desired.<br><br>djsnorkel<br><br>

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/27/02 12:07 AM

To: ICy:<br><br>Your the same guy with the Imac Killer post! Whats with this apple hatred sh*t on MM? Stop, okay?<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/27/02 06:48 PM

I think it should be noted that USB 2 might be faster then Firewire, however this dosen't make it better. I'll take firewire over USB any day. Why? because when transfering over USB, the data has to go through the processor, making your whole system slow down, Firewire is a direct link. I.E. No slowdown. This is one of the many reasons why the iPod is doing so well, its so blatenly fast.<br><br>

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/27/02 08:35 PM

Exactly! And even still FireWire 2 will be out soon. (!HOPE!). <br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/28/02 11:38 AM

Almost like he's getting paid to post press-releases for this garbage, eh!!!<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/28/02 11:40 AM

Exactly! I'll bet he is.<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/30/02 01:08 PM

So tell me this, are you going to walk down the street yelling into this thing, "Pearl Jam!!!,,,,,no Pearl Jam,.....PEARL JAM!!!"? Cell phone people are bad enough, now I've have to listen to you yelling into your MP3 player? What, your thumb broken? That is without a doubt the dumbest idea I've ever seen, or heard....<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/30/02 08:31 PM

LOL<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 07/31/02 11:44 AM

It's a fine idea; after all, the keyboard is just a silly port from the type writer; it's been greatly improved, but it's still 100 or so years old. It's time to rethink data input for all types of devices. I don't think stupid little addon keyboards should be necessary for PDA's; it defeats the purpose. I think this is a great idea for the Odyssey; THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, it probably won't be implemented well in this product and Apple Legal is going to go beserk over this.<br><br>stop that vesch before I viddy over and smash you something horrorshow

Re: ODYSSEY 1000: iPod killer coming this Fall! - 08/01/02 06:40 PM

Re:<br>_____________________________________________<br>"Pearl Jam!!!,,,,,no Pearl Jam,.....PEARL JAM!!!"?<br>_____________________________________________<br><br>OH MY GOD! YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY FU**ING RIGHT!!! That is exactly what we'll be seeing around if this thing takes off! DUBMEST THING EVER! You said exactly what I wanted to say but couldnt think of saying, if that makes sense.<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~