Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK

Posted by: minimodder

Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/12/07 11:16 AM

Im looking for a 15" TFT display which I'm going to attempt to fit inside a Rev A (original) iMac G3 casing. Preferably NOT a mobile display such as those in powerbooks etc. I figured that a cheap 15" LCD similar to those found in PC World or similar, will be more 'standardised' in thier panel construction, dimensions etc...

Im hoping to get my sticky mitts on a broken one (or a couple ideally) so that I can measure up the display dimensions (physical size of the panel when removed from casing plus any neccesary parts etc). Hopefully most 15" displays are roughly if not identical in size.

The point of all this measuring...?

To make a custom mounting so that a flat TFT screen will fit nicely into the slightly-curved screen housing on the old CRT iMac case.

Hopefully... when I can afford a nice screen I can just swap it out into my nicely fitted mount.

Just one more question. Are there any 15" displays that will run higher than 1024 x 768 resolution? Widescreens are sadly not an option... frown

Not sure if that all makes sense, anyway... offers, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated.

This is my first post too btw, so hello and... well, what a nice site you have here!

Thanks all smile
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/12/07 01:29 PM

Hi there.

Definitely stay away from laptop screens since they tend to have proprietary video connections, whereas standalone display panels have standard VGA, DVI or ADC.
Not sure about higher resolutions on non-widescreen 15" panels, but if you go by panels the same resolutions, you can assume that the physical dimensions are not going to vary massively.

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/12/07 02:32 PM

Definitely agree with you on the non-laptop screen! All the Apple displays have a flat-printed-pcb-ribbony thing plus I'll probably want a DVI plugged screen if I can find a decent bargain online.

Kinda what I figured too with the 'roughly' same size thing. Think I will check out a few manufacturers spec sheets if i can find any online.  I'd definitely rather 'practice' with a broken display and fitting it, before shelling out o a decent one!

I will be putting some photos and stuff online at some point so i'll post a link sometime, to show how Im (slowly!) getting on...

Thanks for the speedy response! smile
Posted by: kickassimacg5

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/12/07 03:38 PM

Just go to an ex-government auction and look there. Most departments used to use 15" LCDs but have since upgraded to 17"+ That's where I got mine.

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/13/07 01:22 AM

If you by a good display, you can always make a template out of a sheet of plywood for fitting purposes.

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/13/07 05:31 AM

Thanks for all the input peeps, nice friendly place you got here! smile

Have been trawling the net and have seen UXGA screens which seem to be 4/3 ratio (ie. not widescreen) and offer higher resolutions than 1024 x 768, but unfortunately they all seem to be laptop displays.

Is is technically possible to connect a DVI adapter to these sort of displays? Im guessing it's more trouble than its worth.

Anybody know of any UXGA screens of the non-laptop variety?

Thanks again.

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/13/07 12:00 PM

If you know how to design these things from scratch you could probably pull it off. But people with those kind of mad skillz tend to be 'fat paid' as they say 'in da hood', so they can just buy all the kit they need. Or they just don't need our help so they don't come here.
Pity really.
I Wish I had the time to get to grips with alot more kit than I do.

Re: Any kind of 15" TFT wanted - broken will do! UK - 04/14/07 04:57 AM

Yea, I think laptop screens are going to be out of the question really.

After googling for a few hours I don't think you can get 15" external displays higher than 1024 x 768, least not in a 4:3 ratio anyway. If there is one it must probably cost a small fortune!

No worries, I have a LONG way to go with this project and the more time I spend researching and planning can only improve the end result!

Should have my site up in a week or so, will post a linky when I do if thats cool?!