MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook?

Posted by: commandnotapple

MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/28/08 09:02 AM

Does anyone know if the MacBook Pro (MBP) display could be used to replace a PB's? What I'm really trying to do is install an iSight into my PB display. But my Google searches for info and parts have turned up empty (I can't even find where to get a replacement MBP iSight, not on eBay, not anywhere). I have been told that I could use the BlueTooth connection with a hub to attach the iSight, but this is as far as I've gotten. Anything else that would be of use is greatly appreciated!!!!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/28/08 03:54 PM

Most MBP displays are supplied by Apple as sealed units, and only to authorised service providers who are contractually obliged to fit any such parts they sell.
I actually can't find any MBP iSights on the parts list, though they are available from MacBooks.

As for your question, the MBP screen is not exactly the same size as the PB (15.4" v. 15.2"). I tried a 17" MBP panel on a PB/ It worked very briefly, then stopped. You might be able to find an iSight from an MBP if you ask a service centre. They might have a cracked display going spare. If the display housing is also damaged, it is largely worthless (except the camera could be intact).
Posted by: completelyx

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/28/08 05:58 PM

Is this what you are looking for? It is the just the iSight camera and cables and things. You could probably take apart your current PowerBook screen and mod it to fit the iSight.

Hope this helps! smile

http://cgi.ebay.com/MacBook-iSight-Camer...1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/29/08 01:22 AM

That is the right part but I should point out the cable attached is for the mic, not the USB for camera (Its part of the LVDS display cable - you can remove the iSight part though).
Posted by: commandnotapple

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/29/08 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep"
That is the right part but I should point out the cable attached is for the mic, not the USB for camera (Its part of the LVDS display cable - you can remove the iSight part though).

So, where can I get the LVDS cable, and how will I know which part of the cable is for the iSight? Also, any idea as to how to split the BlueTooth connection with a hub (I don't even know you could do that, much less know where to find one.)

To completelyx, thanks for the product info. Very much appreciated ;D
Posted by: flippy10

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/29/08 09:47 AM

War, do you think the MBP panel shorted out something and that's why it didn't work?
Or could it have been something else. Because.. a short on the LVDS is an easy way to damage a graphics chipset.

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/29/08 01:00 PM

I think the panel was still ok after I tested it. I suspect the GPU/LVDS just weren't calibrated to run it. I'm no expert on the intricacies of LCD data signals though.

As for sourcing the LVDS cable, the same applies - go to a service centre and ask. Again, you will be chopping off the USB part for the camera so a failed of damaged one may be allright for your purposes. USB is not as sensitive to cable quality as LVDS so that may also help.

Essentially what you will be doing is using the camera connector chopped off the LVDS cable and extending it to reach an internal USB.
To get a free internal USB without Removing bluetooth, the only way I can think of is to wire a USB hub to the logic board in its place, then wire the bluetooth and the iSight to the hub )maybe a GPS while you're at it).
In order to get a hub to fit in the case, you can either design one yourself by tracking down an appropriate and compatible controller chip, or simply find the smallest one you can off the shelf and unsolder the USB ports.

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/30/08 09:06 AM

I am refurbing a bunch of MBPs at the moment. Watch this space........(Or your PMs)
Posted by: termatt56

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 07/31/08 11:19 PM

If it's any help I found what appears to be the macbook isight pinout from here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751&page=25(near the bottom)
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: MacBook Pro Display Compatible w/PowerBook? - 08/01/08 10:23 AM

You should check with the guys at ifixit for the isight.