boys with toys

Posted by: TCPMeta

boys with toys - 07/21/07 10:46 AM

I started to play airsoft a few years back. It's a fun sport, wish more people around here played. Anyway, I was looking around on google for airsoft gun mods. I found a automatic gun on a tripod that is remotely controlled. I had a extra battery power rifle that really sucks but works well in close quarters. Since I had no use for it I thought it would be neat to build one. Ofcorse I don't plan to control it with a computer but I have found a cheaper way. I bought a cheap-o R/C car that I was going to use as a gas powered R/C car but the motor was shot. So im going to use the guts from the R/C car. Use the left and right servo for the gun to turn left and right and use the motor circuit for forward and reverse to shoot the gun.

Oh, as for the clip I was planning to use a funnel so all of the rounds would go into the chamber with out any misfire or jams. I'm thinking it can hold about 1,000 rounds and be able to shoot 2,000 on a single battery charge.

This will be a portable turret that can mount on a tree or use a bipod. It will be perfect for CTF games.

I took apart the gun and made the barrel shorter and also wired it to a switch with the 9.6v R/C car battery. The gun was made to use 6 AA batteries so thats 9 volts right there. I fired it and it worked better then it ever has before. Tomorrow im going to start on the rest and next week i'll try it out at a game.

Also I need to find a way to mount my video camera on my gun or a helmet and tape a game or two.

After just thinking of it I can also add a two way radio to the turret so I can taunt people and hear them scream when they get hit lol.
Posted by: manhackman

Re: boys with toys - 07/21/07 02:36 PM

I bought a really cheap wireless with receiver on ebay for $25 a few years ago! it works great and runs for quite a while off a 9v bat.  I'll search around to find something similar!

Re: boys with toys - 07/21/07 02:41 PM

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Color-Wireless-Spy-Vi...2QQcmdZViewItem
this is the same one I have... I think you can get up to 4, with different frequencies.  It would be great to have  multiple players with cameras, and edit the game!!!

Re: boys with toys - 07/21/07 09:52 PM

I already have one of those smile The wireless cam part uses a 9volt but the tuner uses 12 volt on mine. I would have to find a rechargeable 12 volt battery.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: boys with toys - 07/22/07 02:19 AM

Heh, I just sit in a tree with my rifle and scope, and let my other team members draw out the enemy. then I pick them off.

Not that having a remote tripod with auto-fire capabilities wouldnt be cool. Course, you could always go terminator style, and get yourself a portable vulcan cannon.

http://www.montysminiguns.com/AirSoftPage.htm

Re: boys with toys - 07/22/07 05:50 AM

All my years playing paintball and airsoft you don't want to be in a tree. One shot goes off then you're a sitting duck. The only way it would work for a tree is if you had a sniper rifle and the target was 50 to 60 yards away and no one else is around.

I like to make the game fun by using firecrackers, smoke bombs and snaps. Also most of the time it's 2 vs 1 so it's nice to have some backup. My main rifle is a spring action MP5 that I have to recoc every shot and I have a Co2 power pistol as my side arm that I use when im close enough to the target.

Re: boys with toys - 07/22/07 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: "TCPMeta "

I already have one of those smile The wireless cam part uses a 9volt but the tuner uses 12 volt on mine. I would have to find a rechargeable 12 volt battery.
  I run mine, with a 4" LCD off two 6v lamp batteries and definitly got a lot of hours.  Not rechargable, but pretty cheap still (and heavy).

Re: boys with toys - 07/22/07 08:11 PM

Well I got it together but I need to tear it down and rebuild it. When I was putting the PCB board on I cracked the damn thing and now it doesn't work. I'll stop at walmart and buy another cheap-o R/C car to modify. Who knows maybe i'll find a car that I can hook the gun to so it can have a robo turret.

Also on further inspection of the board I noticed it was cheaply made so it wasn't a surprise that it cracked. The board itself is too thin.

Re: boys with toys - 07/24/07 06:24 PM

I got a new car today. I took it apart and rebuilt the turret. It works! Just have to do some tweaks and i'll shoot a video.

Re: boys with toys - 07/30/07 08:01 PM

Sometime this week im going to play some airsoft. I rigged my camera to my hat with zip ties. I've tested it and it works fine and gives it some what of a FPS game view. Also this will give me a chance to test the turret in action.

Re: boys with toys - 08/07/07 05:55 AM

Yesterday I tried to get some video of a airsoft game. Thing is I had the camrea attached to my hat. It worked fine when I tested it but in the field I ended up getting tree tops and sky.