started once again on car pc

Posted by: TCPMeta

started once again on car pc - 02/05/07 04:18 AM

I got my tax refund in  smile
It's not enough for a macmini but it's enouch to buy new glasses and a few parts to start with the car computer. I bought off of ebay a 7 inch touch screen LCD for 105 + shipping. after work i'm going to order a DC-DC power supply. For the moment I can't deside to use my headless iMac or a old Cryix MIII 800MHz mobo and CPU.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/05/07 05:06 AM

nice!  I can't wait to see the progress.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/05/07 12:03 PM

Sounds like a great mod for a modcast series.  send me a message on aim.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/05/07 05:11 PM

I ordered the power supply. It's the M2-ATX DC to DC power supply.

http://short-circuit.com/details/dcdc/m2atx.html

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/05/07 05:36 PM

I just got word from the dealer that I bought my LCD from and he is out of stock. He does how ever has a diffrent LCD that is motorized and giving me half price for it. only 25 bucks more then the other LCD.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/06/07 05:54 PM

Update!

I have ordered the cd install kit for the dash of the car so the LCD can fit and a wireharness for my speakers for the new BOSS 400watt amp i bought. 400watts isn't too bad, im a metalhead. No bass for me.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/07/07 06:49 PM

The power supply has shown up today.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/07/07 07:21 PM

where did you buy your screen?

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/08/07 05:13 AM

A small car audio shop in town called DragonAudio. I called them up and asked if they had any and I was told they did. I was going to pick it up yesterday but since they were out of stock and the LCD I wanted was discontuned they offered the  motorized one. Sadly it's also out of stock but they're getting a truck devilery this weekend that has the motorized LCD.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/08/07 07:27 AM

A friend of mine gave me a old 10inch LCD. I'm debating to use it for a backseat monitor or use it for a diffrent mod.
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/08/07 10:53 AM

My opinion is that while you're modding the car, you should run the cables for backseat monitors and anything else that you think you might want to add in eventually, it'll be a lot easier to lay it out now than add anything in later. Maybe you can do some sort of connection/dock that is easy to unplug for it so you could use both.  but definitely you should run the cables so you don't need to take apart the whole deal if you decide to add

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/08/07 04:20 PM

I'm already ahead of that. I'm planning to put in a usb hub in the dash for the LCD, DVD drive and also a extra port for removeable storage or something. also there will be a few extra ports so all I have to do is open the dash up and add a cable. Also the system will have a 5 USB port card and maybe adding a fuse box so I can beable to power more stuff in the furture.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/08/07 08:32 PM

alright sweet, so then i guess you just have to figure out if a backseat screen would be cooler that whatever else you were thinking about doing.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/09/07 03:37 AM

Hey, are there any TV tuner cards that work in OSX?

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/09/07 05:53 AM

Yeah, check out this link, these are mainly usb devices, and on the left of the screen they have 3rd party options which have more companies.  Definitely check out the Twinhan link for some fantastic translations. http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain2&countrytogo=33&signal=all

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/10/07 09:19 AM

I went to home depot and bought the hardware to build a case out of plexi-glass and metal. After I bought it my friend Adam that was with me told me as we were walking out that I could of bought a clear ATX case for 69 bucks. I already spent 138 for the plexi-glass and metal. I turned around and returned all of that I bought and then went to RPC computers. They had infact a clear ATX case for 69 bucks and I bought it. While I was there I bought two IDE round cables and a cable sleve kit.

So for this mod I will end up installing a mac into my car and a atx convert mod lol. I just tryed fitting the case in the runk and I was going to mount it to the backseat so all I would have to do was fold the seat down and have access to the system but the case is too tall frown I manage to live with it to sit sideways like a desktop case and have it in the back of the trunk . All I can say is good thing I have a 7 body trunk lol.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/10/07 09:50 PM

After looking at the case and the power supply im in kinda of a pickle. The power supply isn't inclosed in a case like a normal power supply so I'm thinking to take a old AT power supply that I have kept for some strange reason and gut it and use the metal case for the DC - DC power supply so I can mount it in the case.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/12/07 04:54 AM

Heres a sneek peak of the iCar  smile

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/TCPMeta/iCar/?action=view&current=IMAG0003.flv

Btw, heres the car i'm installing the system in.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/13/07 05:25 PM

The motorized LCD came in today. I hooked it up to my testing system and everything is a-okay.

Oh, and heres the amp I will be using.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/13/07 06:54 PM

It is alive!

Posted by: manhackman

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/13/07 08:12 PM

RAD!!! I want one, and I don't even drive!

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/14/07 04:24 AM

lol, well you can hook it up to a computer but it's like 200 bucks.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/17/07 05:26 AM

I got half of the mod complete. The LCD is installed and the Amp is wired up. I had to almost gut the inside of my car to do it. I took out the backseat and the dash to run the cable for the Amp and VGA. I ran into a small problem with this mod so far. The stick shift on my car is now broken frown I have to use a ballpoint pen to make the car ge out of park. Now I have to end up getting a after market stick shift knob. Last time I installed one of thoses it kept comming lose or undone.

Besides that problem all I have to wait for now is the logicboard, memory, GPS, DVD drive and two more laptop HD to desktop adapters.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/18/07 12:37 AM

I bought a cheap-o stick shift knob at pep-boys. It goes well with my car's theme. Crome and slate/carbonfiber.

I have made quite a bit of videos and also worked on a how-to guide for my project. The howto guide will be on my car club's DIY page and also i'm going to try and put a copy here. Also there is a huge secret with this project as well.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/19/07 04:38 AM

I have ran into a problem. I was checking up on my mod to the power supply since it's a ATX power supply and found out I can't use a Digital Audio logicboard for my mod. Pin22 on the power supply for the DA needs 24 to 28 volts just so it can boot and it is used for ADC video. Unless there's a way to bypass this with a inverter circut? If anyone has some ideas for me to still beable to use the board then let me know.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/19/07 05:51 AM

is there any way you could go straight from the dc-dc converter to that pin (i.e. does the dc-dc have a 24 or 28 output)?  or are there any pins in the power supply that the logic board doesn't need?
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/19/07 10:35 AM

If your not going to be using the ADC jack, you can suppy only 12v to that line and the board should power up fine, at least it did for me when I used an ATX supply in my DA.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/19/07 05:09 PM

Good to hear that news. Now I can use the logicboard I wanted to use. My power supply only makes a output of 12V DC and a minimum of 3.3V.

Heres some info about the PSU im using.
http://www.mini-box.com/M2-ATX-160w-Intelligent-Automotive-DC-DC-Power-Supply?category=13

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/20/07 09:09 AM

I ordered three 2.5 laptop to standard IDE adapters and they came in today. I'm using two 20GB drives and a 6.5GB drive. 20GB will be for OSX and a few pograms and the other 20GB will be for music and the 6.5GB will be used for swap.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/20/07 10:16 AM

I just tested out the drives and both 20GB drives work but the 6.5GB drive doesn't work. So now im just stuck to make a 1GB partition on my main drive.

Also the memory has came in. 1stick of 512MB PC133  smile thanks krusher117!

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/20/07 05:05 PM

I finaly finished wireing up my amp. I had to run the power cable from the battery then under the car to a gasket seal where the wiring for the fuel tank wireharness is. Then pulled the cable and used zipties to hold the cable in place under the car. Then added a ring termnial to the end of the cable then hooked up the amp. Then I connected the wire to the + side of the battery and then to test it I hooked my iPod to it. The amp doesn't want to make a output frown. I played with it and blew the fuse then after fighting traffic and atempted to race a mustang on my way back I hooked up the new fuse and still nothing. Tomorrow afte wok i'll play with it some more. I think I might have some wireing messed up fo the speakers. I'll try hooking up my old AIWA speakers to see if they work.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/21/07 03:55 AM

I sent a help ticket on bossaudio.com and they told me my setup isn't poweful enough to make a output or take my car to a audio place and have them look at it. Also the tech was picking fun at the idea of a mac in a car.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/21/07 06:14 AM

Did you use decent quality power cable. Needs to good for amps or they don't play nice. You want stuff rated for 30A+ if memory serves.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/21/07 06:42 PM

The manual says use 8gauge but I went ahead and got 4 gauge that I had left over from a grounding kit i made for my car. I also have a 50A+ bus fuse on the power cable and also the amp has a 15A+ bus fuse itself.

Come to find out I need atlest 60 watts going though the amp before it can kick on. So now im in need fo a preamp but a friend of mine that put a PC in his SUV keeps trying to get me to invest in a power accoustik 4 channel 960watt amp that has a built in preamp for iPod use. But that's another 110 bucks that I don't have. I don't know at the moment. I'll wait until next month and see if I can buy a bette amp or buy a preamp.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/22/07 04:23 PM

I have found out something odd for my car. I tested the amp with a old stereo speaker and it works! My neighbor use to work for Dodge and he came over and asked me what I was up too. I told him and he told me there are 3 stereo setups for my intrepid. Come to find out I had the high end setup that has a amp built into the car in the dash on the right side. Since the old stereo was pulled out the amp stop getting power and didn't let me use my speakers on the other amp I installed. Well instead of ripping apart my dash again I pulled out the back seat and found the old cable to the back speakers and cliped them and spliced them into my new speaker wire. My neighbor told me that Dodge uses any old wire they have laying around so the color code isn't the same. But the two speaker wires are braded together. Well there were 2 sets like that on each side of the car. I cliped both sets and did a trial and eror test and found the right ones then re-connected the other set. The other set of wires was my ABS and TCM for the rear wheels. So right now I have the rear speakers hooked up and they sound better then my old stereo. I tested this setup with my iPod.

I have also found a few front end programs to try out for the project. One is called AMP and iTheater.
Posted by: manhackman

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/22/07 04:57 PM

Congrats!!!! Lucky your neighbour came along... or you would have been out a bunch more $$$ and in the same spot if you got another amp!

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/22/07 06:11 PM

Yes yes, I was planning to run new cable from each speaker to the amp but this way was a lot easyer and faster due to feeding cables though a car door is like fitting a square into a circle.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/24/07 04:01 AM

I have started software trials for the system. I havn't got my DA logicboard yet so im using my sawtooth as the test system.Heres the specs of the system so far.

-=hardware=-
G4 (At 550MHz but soon will be 733MHz)
1.25GB of ram
two USB 2.0 add-in cards. (One is a 4 port and one is a 5 port)
Two 2.5inch 20GB hard drives with 2.5 to IDE adapters.
two rounded ATA 100/133 IDE cables.
AirPort (from my broken iBook)
ATI Raedon 7000 64MB vram

-=software=-
OS X 10.4.3
FrontRow
AMP
iLife 06
Virtual PC
KisMAC
Macstumbler
iStumbler
CenterStage

Sadly I don;t have a slim DVD drive that is mac compat with USB. Anyone know of a slm DVD drive that will work? Or how about a desktop DVD that is slotload?
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/24/07 06:06 AM

Here is a pretty cheap desktop one, it's not a burner or anything though...

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/34/112/3701

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/24/07 08:13 PM

Sweet, i'll order that ASAP. Thanks for the help.

-=Update=-
I wired up the computer for testing with the power supply. The power supply is enough to power everything but it doesn't shut off. I'll have to re config the power supply so it's like a standard power supply.

Also while testing it I ran into two problems. The USB hub doesn't have enough power to supply the LCD and a USB DVD drive. I'll have to use firewire for the DVD and also when I turn on the system as it boots up I get a kernel panic. I'll play with it tomorow.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/25/07 09:44 AM

I fixed every thing. Now im stuck for the touch screen. Anyone know of some generic drivers that work?

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/25/07 12:52 PM

I found drivers for the touch screen. A driver set called TouchKit. It was a 50 50 chance and it worked. The test trail is 98% complete. Just need to wire up the front speakers, get the DVD, wait for the DA logicboard and GPS to come in and mount the case to the trunk.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/26/07 06:50 AM

Last night a friend of mine from the car club was wondering where I have been hiding for the past month. He came over and saw me working on the car and saw the computer in the trunk. He asked me what in the heck was I doing and told'em. He was covered in envy from head to toe. I showed off the programs I had installed and let him hear the sound system. He loves the mod but told me he would never do it to his car after I told him what I had to do to install it. My neihbor came out and saw my showing off the system and asked me how much did I spend in all and I told'em about a thousand, but it can be done a lot more cheaper. He asked me if I can do it to his truck since he drives a lot for his company and always gets lost and such. I told him sure and gave him a copy of the list of parts I used so he can orde them. So in a few months I get to mod a Tundra.

I found the best front end for the mod. The program is called AMP and it has all sorts of neat programs and also works kinda like FrontRow but with a lot more options. It has wardriving tools, plugin-s to start iChat, Safari, iTunes, iMovie, DVD Player, iPhoto, etc etc etc... It also works great as a media center for older systems. Sadly it doesn't have a OBD-II scanner program.

Today I have planes to get the front speakers working and start on the mounts for the computer case. Still awaiting for the logicboard I want and the GPS unit and still need to order the DVD drive, firewire cables and the OBD-II scanner.

I was sked the other day what a OBD-II scanner is so I tought I would goahead and let everyone know what it is. A OBD-II scanner is a device that connects to the car's diagnostic port (On-Board Diagnostic systems) and checks on the status of the engine and electronics in the vehicle. For a example the check engine light comes up and it can mean all kinda of things. You plug in the OBD-II scanner and it tells you what the check engine light means. Heres a example what happen to me a few months back. I changed out the sparkplugs on my car and went for a test drive and the check engine light was I pulled out my pocket OBD-II scanner and it gave me a code 4002. I pulled out the Haynes manual to my car and said the code 4002 is a bad sparkplug on clyinder 2. I took it off and the gap was way off. I put it back in and started the car up the code was still there so I hit delete code on the pocket OBD-II scanner and it went away and everything was good to go. The scanner i'm getting connects to a PC so you can have it on all the time and also it can help out with other things besides engine lights. Tells the speed im going and how many RPMs, helps to see the wear on my tires and tells me when it's time for a oil change or a whole tuneup. Some of them out there can even change the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) the computer that controls everything in the vehicle.
Posted by: reLAXER564

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/26/07 10:04 AM

The mod sounds great so far and I am looking forward to the final pictures, video perhaps? If the computer is living in the trunk is there going to be a concern with vibration or bumps? Or do you have some dope rear shocks :p

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/26/07 11:15 AM

there are pictures and videos comming but i can't say when. As for the system bumping around I'm in the middle of fabercating shocks for the drives so the the heads won't jam into the platters in the harddrives. Unlike most people that trick out their cars I don't lower mine because I like to beable to go over speed bumps and still beable to jack up the car. If some point the drives die i'll try using harddrives from a couple of iPods or look into some solidstate storage. I dove up to publix with out the case mounted and it seems to work just fine.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/26/07 11:42 AM

Just a note. I don't have the correct logicboard for this mod installed, i have a sawtooth logicboard for the testing. Also I don't have the GPS or DVD yet.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/27/07 05:39 PM

The GPS came in today.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/28/07 03:15 AM

I don't know what the temperature variations are like where you live, but have you taken condensation into account? The guy who fitted a G4 to his Tatra had goretex lined valves on his clear case. I doubt he would have bothered if it wasn't worthwhile. You don't want water dripping on you logic board.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/28/07 04:00 AM

So far the morning due hasn't got inside the case. The trunk is pretty sealed up so it's alright.

Right now im trying out the GPS on my PC because I don't want to waste the battery on the car until I know how to work the GPS in and out.

Re: started once again on car pc - 02/28/07 04:59 PM

I hooked up the GPS in the car and it works great. Just one problem. The test logicboard and CPU im using isn't fast enough so when I was driving there was a lag time of 10 secs.

I hope the new logicboard and CPU will help that out.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/01/07 02:27 PM

the sawtooth logicboard died today. I was so pissed I put my fist though the wall. I patched it up with some cardboard (3 layers) then used some drywall Spackle.

The GPS today helped me find a better rote to work today. It took me into the backroads and got me to work in 10 minutes instead of the boring gridlock 30 to 40 minutes.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/02/07 06:38 PM

Alright, the DA logicboard came in today. Just need a CPU and i'm good to go.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/03/07 11:45 AM

I just can't win on this for the sound system part. I finally got my front speakers working and found the hidden amp and removed it. Now the back speakers died on me. The back speakers dieing on me isn't a surprise, they were the stock infinity's. Now I guess next payday i'll go pickup some Pioneer 6x9s 2 ways.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/04/07 07:08 PM

I made the wire harness for the DVD drive. At first I was going to use the 12 volt power from the LCD and tap into the USB hub for the 5 volts but then I realized that the power supply doesn't come on instant so with straight 12 volts going though the drive might damage it. Since I had plenty of extra primary wire I made a 20ft long power cable that goes from the power supply to the dash. For safety reasons I put a 15A fuse in the 12volt line. All whats left for the DVD is to make the bezel and get the DVD to work in the DVD Player app.

I'll add more pictures tomorrow.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/05/07 04:04 AM

Ok, before I install the DA logicboard does it use a different pinout for the front panel or is it the same as the sawtooth and gigabit?

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/05/07 11:52 AM

Ooh, now you're asking. According to GSX, there is a Front Panel Board which was used in the DA and the GigE. Doesn't list the Sawtooth though. And there may well be another version I've missed.

Having been through everything that comes up when searching the entire available parts database for the terms "Front Panel", that is the only one which is listed for the DA or the GigE. I think Sawteeth are obsolete now anyway, so you should be OK.
Emphasis on should.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/05/07 02:20 PM

Well I guess i'll bite the bullet and try it.

Until then heres something I have done and made myself proud.

I tricked AMP to use VLC instead of DVD Player.
I Deleted DVD Player and it's App support files in /Users/(MYUSER)/Library/Application Support

Then changed the label of VLC to DVD Player. Then I went into the contents of VLC and edit the file called Pkginfo to

APPLcfbs

After that I created a file called version.plist

<?xml version="1.0 encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "=//Apple computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList/List-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BuildVersion</key>
<string>11</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>4.6.5</string>
<key>ProjectName</key>
<string>DVDPlayer</string>
<key>SourceVersion</key>
<string>46500506</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I lauched AMP and crossed my fingers and hit DVD and VLC launched.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/05/07 06:51 PM

I tried out the Digital Audio logicboard today and it seems to be dead frown Before even attempting to use it before hand I looked up all the info on it to make sure I would have everything to make it work.

I tryed using a 12volt line on pin22 and no luck. The video cad im using isn't ADC so it should work. Also the power button board setup is the same as the sawtooth and gigabite G4s.

I guess im stuck unless I can get a different logicboard.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/06/07 05:37 PM

Each time I try to do something on this project I end up ripping my hair out. I have gone way over budget and I have dead speakers and two dead logic boards as a result. If I knew this was going to be such a problem I would of went ahead and invested into a mac mini. The only other logic boards I have left is a B&W and a iMac and they're too slow for GPS use. frown frown frown

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/07/07 08:05 PM

After thinking hard about it I thought I would go ahead and buy a mac mini. I got a Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz system for $556.18 from Macmall.com. I searched on google for Promotional codes to get a cheaper price and managed to get 10% and 3% off and free shipping.

Now what to do with all of the parts that I will not be using. I can't think of anything at all and I can't return most of them since I had to modify them to work with the mac hardware. So if anyone wants to try this mod you can contact me and I can give you a deal on the power supply and case.

Now I need to find a cheap wire harness to power the mini in the car. I hate using power inverters.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/08/07 05:17 PM

Oh goody, a old friend of mine is stopping by to check out my iCar mod. He has a ITX PC setup in his SUV and has added a lot of neat stuff to it from the last time I saw it. I'll take pics of his setup for you guys.

I hate it when I order something and then waiting for it to arrive.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/15/07 05:35 PM

I got the mac mini and it was DOA frown I shipped it back and found a older IntelCore solo mac mini to use. smile

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/15/07 07:28 PM

I haven't bought new back speakers yet but im thinking to install a sub from a old stereo I had. It's small and doesn't sound bad with the type of music I listen too.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/16/07 02:24 AM

I had a 600W, 12" sub in an enclosure in my car once. Ran it off a 500W amp. I'm told it could be heard for miles. I believe it too since the entire bodyshell vibrated when it was turned up.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/16/07 04:12 AM

Well my amp puts 100watts to a channel and I have no idea how many watts my sub can hold. When I got my amp working the first time I had the speakers up all the way and it was so loud I had no time to turn it down so I just shut off the car. When I got out of the car I heard dogs around the neighborhood barking and neighbors coming outside to see what was going on. Of course this was around 10:30pm.

When my friend Kevin came over from Tampa he was impressed that the cheap-o amp was so loud and told me I should install a sub to pick up the lows since all I have two tweaters and two 3 ways going in the front.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/17/07 04:44 AM

I found out my battery really sucks. I had the system running for 30 minutes on battery and the battery died. I got the battery recharged but im going to invest into a Optima RedTop. Heres the battery's specs.

Volts: 12 V
Battery Terminals: Top and side
Battery Type: AGM
Cranking Amps at 0 Degrees F: 800 amps
Cranking Amps at 32 Degrees F: 980 amps
Reserve Capacity: 110 minutes
Length (in): 10.000 in.
Width (in): 6.875 in.
Height (in): 7.812 in.
Weight: 39 lbs.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/18/07 11:13 AM

I found some disturbing things under the hood. The grounding cables for the engine has been rusted apart to where the ring terminals were left. I replaced them with some AMP power cable that has 500 more stainded wires then the stock wires. I also ran a new power cable from the battery to the alternator. My car now doesn't struggle for power. All what is left is to get the mini in a few days then install it. I also got the sub wired up so it's good to go for the sound system.

Some time next month when everything is done i'm going to take the car to a car show and see what people think.

Re: started once again on car pc - 03/20/07 06:56 PM

So far I have shown 13 people my little setup and 10 of them asked me if I would install one into their cars/trucks. Might end up starting a small bisness with this lol.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/02/07 03:20 PM

So far im way behind on my mod. I have almost all of the money saved up for a new mac mini.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/02/07 08:41 PM

Perhaps you could just use an apple TV, they apparently run a full osx and are quite hackable, and more importantly, cost half as much

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/03/07 02:12 AM

Short on RAM though

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/04/07 06:07 PM

Yes yes, Sadly I could of gotten a mac mini at the end of March but a unexpected doctor visit and a 400 dollar bill came up. right now I have to make a payment for my car insurance then by two weeks I can order the mac mini.

I'm thinking to make a donate site for my project but I need to think of a way to give back to everyone besides a mod guide. I could make a video of me destroying my old mac that died on me or something.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/12/07 04:07 PM

or if you're actually thinking about installing similar systems in the friends and neighbors who've asked you, you could ask for a front of some money, so you can finish yours and have the running prototype.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/12/07 05:58 PM

I tryed and well one doesn't have the money and the other wrecked his car and took out my mailbox.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/13/07 01:23 AM

Then he owes you for the mailbox. Spend it in your mod, who needs mail anyway, its only for bills.....

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/13/07 04:27 AM

It's one of thoses all in one mail boxes that everyone on the street shares and the USPS is fixing it for free.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/13/07 11:47 AM

Thats good then In some ways. We don't tend to have shared boxes like that in the UK. Except in blocks of flats/apartments. The vast majority of us get our mail delivered to our door. One of the benefits of living on a small island I guess.

How about this: I'll testify that I sent you $2000, you testify that you never got it due to the damaged mailbox, then you can sue!

In case I get accused of inciting fraud, I better go on record to say I'm kidding.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/13/07 05:54 PM

The mail is being held at the post office until the box is fixed or I go up thee to pick it up.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/14/07 03:31 AM

Well, don't say I didn't try to help you out. Damn rational solutions to everything.

:p

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/14/07 06:22 AM

Thanks for the help War. If any of the ideas was posible I would try them in a heart beat.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/20/07 04:24 AM

Well for the moment im stuck using a PC for the car frown

I have however found some neat toys to use

1. Joypad - Turns a gamepad into a remote for music players.
2. JDash - A ECU tuning program that work on XP, Linux and Mac (Needs OBD adapter)
3. Capture - A small program used to recording video while you drive (Can come in handy when backing up.)
4. GPS Secure - A software based lowjack.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/21/07 11:05 AM

I woke up this morning and my car club buddies were messing with my car. I went out and they installed a cab with 2 10 inch woofers into my car. They did this as a surprise since today marks the 3rd year since I joined.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/22/07 04:31 AM

Nice. We could all use friends like that. You'll have to get the beers in for them.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/23/07 06:12 AM

I bought them a 24 pack of bud and also located a guy that has a CNC shop to custom build parts for them.

Re: started once again on car pc - 04/25/07 02:28 PM

I found someone that is willing to buy my Gaming PC for 400 bucks! Getting closer to a mini!

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/10/07 05:37 PM

I thought since I haven't made a update in a while on this project so heres a few things that has happened.

No one has bought my gaming PC yet frown I got all of the speakers in the car working. I got my check from my 401K cashed before it was gone forever and now I have to buy two new front tires. What ever is left is going towards the mini. I might be cheap and get certified used tires. Oh, heres some pics of the sound system in the trunk.

Posted by: burtman

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/12/07 03:20 PM

Please think hard before buying cheap tires, they are they only thing keeping your car (and you) on the road. Are they really worth skimping on? How much would it cost to buy some mid range quality tires really?

Car Install project looks like it's coming on, I've always been tempted to try one my self but I have decided that an iPod connected directly to my Amp and front components is all I need, plus I'm trying to keep the weight down! better power to weight ratio that way!

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/13/07 07:46 AM

I've used old tires before. They're tires from cars that were wrecked but the tires still had like new meat on the tires. I use to buy a lot of used tires for my old charger when I took it to Jax raceway until they closed it down then the engine blew a piston rod so now it sits at my mom's house in the garage. Anyway I went to Big O tires yesterday and sadly they didn't have two tires that were the same so it would of looked funky 3 different brand tires. I went ahead and went to Discount Tire and bought two new Goodyear eagle LS tires. 210 in all and lifetime warranty. I got $348 left and my check for this week is $210. Car insurance is due on the 16th and thats $127 so maybe in 2 weeks i'll have enough. I need a new job. Computer jobs are hard to come by here in town, well good paying computer jobs. Most of them here want you to use your car and drive all over town and for only 9 bucks a hour. Have to remember I live in the largest city in the U.S (Landmass).

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/13/07 01:50 PM

Managed to get a pair of Toyo Proxy T1-Rs for my 306 Rallye the other week fitted and balanced for 117, really great tires, fantastic cornering ability shame the last set lasted me less than 6000 miles... *gulp* Also shame the gear box died last week and it's in for a rebuild. *sigh*

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/13/07 07:39 PM

Nothing like going down a quarter mile and have a piston rod snap in half. Almost flipped the car and almost went into the wall.

Nothing like using donut tires and 17 inchers on a classic car lol.

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/14/07 01:34 PM

Think I'll stick to the 'twisties' and lift of over-steer on greasy corners, much more sensible *grin*

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/27/07 09:16 AM

Well heres a sad looking picture.

I got most of the guide and crap done. Can't finish it until I get a mac of some sort into the car.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/27/07 11:34 AM

"Can't finish it until I get a mac of some sort into the car"

I think a great option for a car would be to take a powerbook apart and mount the screen on the dash and the computer under the seat.  it would just be hard getting a laptop video ribbon cable long enough.

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/28/07 05:24 AM

Having electronics under a car seat is the worst idea. Theres safety reasons and also dirt and dust from dirty shoes/feet.

Although I love the idea but I already got a LCD in the dash. Only if my iBook didn't die, it would of been perfect. Put it in the glove box and take it out at night.

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/28/07 10:51 AM

I always wanted to install a laptop in a car like that, but with the display folding down from the roof. You still have the problem of the cabling though.

Re: started once again on car pc - 05/28/07 06:31 PM

Well, if you have a ton of free time you could always extend the cables one at a time.
Posted by: MacTechDude

Re: started once again on car pc - 06/16/07 08:33 PM

No mac installed tho.. RATS!!! lol..  you gotta upgrade them duals man! =D

Re: started once again on car pc - 06/16/07 08:57 PM

My sound setup is just fine. although I need a stronger amp.