New toy to mod.

Posted by: TCPMeta

New toy to mod. - 01/02/06 01:46 PM

I got ticked off at my Cube and gutted it and sold the logicboard, CPU and the case to a friend of mine for a 100 bucks. I killed the power supply and shorted out the logicboard from a simple brown out and didn't have the system on a surge protecter that supports brownouts. I found a dual G4 CPU I think came from a sawtooth or a gigabit. So I went on ebay to find a logicboard and atempt to upgrade the B&W. Well I found a system that has everything but the HD and doesn't want to keep correct time and loses startup disk settings. When I get it i'll try out the CPU and if it works then i'll be adding water cooling for sure in it. Then maybe, just maybe I'll stop modding my B&W before I over do it lol.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/02/06 06:06 PM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
When I get it i'll try out the CPU and if it works then i'll be adding water cooling for sure in it. Then maybe, just maybe I'll stop modding my B&W before I over do it lol.

Sounds great! You might want to check your message box wink
Posted by: iProd

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/02/06 06:53 PM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
Well I found a system that has everything but the HD and doesn't want to keep correct time and loses startup disk settings.

It sounds like it needs a new battery wink

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/03/06 04:08 AM

Yea I kinda figured that. I have some extra batterys I pulled from a few begie G3s and from a couple of iMacs.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/04/06 03:56 AM

Well I won the bid so i'll get the system in a week or so then I can start bringing it to life and modding the heck out of it.
Posted by: maestro

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/04/06 06:09 AM

Great! Duals are awesome. What system did you buy? Some of the Sawtooths are not compatible with dual cpus. Let us know how your progress goes.
It will make for a great mod guide.

-maestro

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/04/06 06:35 AM

Well it is a sawtooth system so I hope it will work. I got a wicked idea for the water block. If you remember my little home made heatsink I talked about for my B&W that it's just a chunk of copper. Well I can get another chunk that will fit and boar out the center with a drill press and then take some copper plating and add the fittings for the piping or hoses and weld the plate over the top of the chunk I boared out. I already have a water tank from a old system that fits in a 5inch drive bay so i'll have to modify the bay that is under the cd-rom bay so I can fit the tank in. Or I can just levae the cd-rom out and use a external firewire drive. As for the pump I can mount it on the bottom of the case near the HD. Only one thing that is stoping me on that is the pump. They cost way too much by them selfs so i'll just get a cheap water cooling kit from CompUSA and use the water block that comes with it for my video card. Also I have some neat ideas for a HD cooler too. Use some copper piping in a U shape under the HD and have the hoses going straight though it. In all heres the layout.

5inch watertank that fits in a 5inch drive bay. Hoses going to the pump with copper fittings for quick connect. From the pump to the HD cooler then to the CPU then to the video card and back to the tank.

Pretty simple if you ask me. The kit I want to get has a strong enough pump to handle it. I may end up doing a ATX power supply mod for this because the pump uses a lot of wattage and calls for a powersupply with 300 watts.

You know what, I think I will do the ATX mod. Anyone know a site that has the pinouts for a sawtooth power supply to ATX standard PC?

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/04/06 07:55 AM

Well I just modded a PC ATX 350watt power supply for the sawtooth. Since the B&W and sawtooth use the same wiring for the power supply I used the B&W as a ginniepig. It works completly. Heres a little quick guide on what I did.

Codegen 350watt 115V/230V~, 8/4A 60/50Hz power supply.

Cliped Pin8 and Pin18 from the power supply's cable but left enough wire to splice the +3.3V and the Ground to Pin1 and Pin3.

Spliced Pin1 with Pin8
Spliced Pin18 with Pin3.

Just that simple, no modding the front panel or anything. Also this power supply is made full tower ATX cases so the cable is long and no need for a extintion cable. I'll use the floppy drive power for Fans and the Water pump.

Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2006/01/04 15:57

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/07/06 10:24 AM

I want to install some LEDs for drive activies. I want one for my DVD and HD. I have all of the parts but I can't remember how to hook it up. I know in the past there has been threads about this stuff. So can anyone help?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/07/06 10:40 AM

You might check this out...

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/453/

Also, do you think that 350 is going to be enough power?

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/07/06 05:35 PM

The 350 will be more then enough to power it. Back in the day I had a PC running a 7 device SCSI chain with a 300watt powersupply.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/07/06 08:05 PM

That is cutting it close. Make sure to check amps on all devices to make sure it wont fry itself.
I personally would use a 450w. Power supplies are affordable and thats cheap insurance for stability and longetivity.
-maestro

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/08/06 03:14 PM

It's enough amps. I also have completed the LEDs for my HDs and also im going to reroute the DVD's LED and eject button. I'm thinking to get some blue LEDs for this and make the system have a blue and silver theme.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/08/06 06:56 PM

Cool, all that work should make for an awesome mod guide!
-maestro

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/09/06 01:47 AM

Yes yes, I have been taking a lot of pics and keeping a log in a notebook of my work so when the sawtooth gets here I can have it all up and running in minutes. I have ordered the LEDs and and few other parts. Hey, on the water cooling project what size water block should I get?
Posted by: cincyaaron

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/09/06 09:35 AM

Sounds pretty amazing. I am going to have to check out some pictures of it.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/09/06 11:26 AM

I'm slowly building a website for modding and i'm thinking to use this urber mod as the flagship of my website. The guide im planing to create will have all of the mods done to the sawtooth in one whole package deal so it will make the guide more interesting and better. Ofcorse i'll also have the mod guide here for your enjoyment and might even submit it to the furture mac mod challenge.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/11/06 10:44 AM

Well sometime today my sawtooth comes in. I can't wait to start modding the heck out of it. Also I hope the dual CPU I have found for it will work, if it doesn't then im stuck with single frown

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/11/06 02:10 PM

My sawtooth is here and i've already started work on it. Come to find out it was a bad battery so the seller screwed himself by selling a perfect system for peanuts. I also degraded my B&W some for the HDs, memory and the Radeon 7000. In a while im going to flash a Radeon 7000 AGP for the sawtooth and sometime rebuild my B&W. I tryed out the dual CPU and it's dead. No chime or anything when I turn the mac on. Not even the power supply fan kicks on.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/11/06 03:55 PM

Sawtooths never shipped with dual CPUs.

Though I notice Powerlogix do a dula upgrade for them. If there is a firmware flash for that upgrade, maybe it would work to enable yours?
Posted by: iProd

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/11/06 05:41 PM

I have a spare dual 533 G4 out of a DA, because I gave up on the poor little mac frown

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/12/06 01:52 AM

The Dual CPU is a aftermarket upgrade. I flashed my my ATI Radeon 7000 AGP. I even found a easy we to flash it on a PC with out needing a PCI videocard. I'll add the howto to the guide im working on. The only thing I don't really like about my 7000 AGP is that it only has 32MB of vram but my 7000 PCI has 64MB vram. Although the AGP runs faster in FrontRow. Now I have to wait for my blue LEDs to come in and my 4 pole dip switch so I can overclock the CPU. I still need to find out what socket size water block to buy. I tryed making my custom water block but my drill press can't hack though all of that copper. I went though 3 bits for 2 holes.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/13/06 08:22 PM

Well more parts have came in for my modding enjoyment. I have gotten my bright blue LEDs and I do mean bright lol. Also I got my 4 pole dipswitch to overclock the BUS.

Edit:

I have built my litle rig for the LEDs and killed my DVD+RW drive from a bad LED connection for replacing the standard green LED to a blue one. I have the LED n the HD and now trying to find a way to splice into my ethernet so it can blink when i'm reciving packets. Also I replaced the green power LED with a Blue LED. I have taken a lot of pics and i'll post them in the guide. Also I have started to see why the guy I bought this system from sold it at a cheap price. It takes a while to kick on. I had to end up using my keyboard from my iMac to turn on the system.

I have also installed the dip switch and now my BUS is at 120MHz and the CPU is at 480MHz. I added two small 5v fans to the heatsink for until I get my water cooling stuff.

Can anyone give me a idea for splicing into the built-in ethernet so I can have a LED access blink for reciving? I have only done this in the past with add-in cards and just splicing into the LED on the card.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/14/06 10:13 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone give me a idea for splicing into the built-in ethernet so I can have a LED access blink for reciving? I have only done this in the past with add-in cards and just splicing into the LED on the card.

is there a reason why you don't want to do that again?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/14/06 04:36 PM

Most Macs don't have LEDs on their built in ethernet.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/14/06 05:12 PM

That's very true. I was thinking a cheap one on ebay, but for some of us PCI slots are something we have too little of.

Re:New toy to mod. - 01/14/06 11:55 PM

I can toss in a Realtek nic easyly but I want to try and leave as much space as I can for the water cooling. Then again I can go ahead and toss one in since the nic is 1 and a half inches high so when I add the water cooling to the video it will still have room for the tubing.