versalaser hundred MB protest rant

Posted by: macDeviant

versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 06:11 AM

Oh gee wouldn't it be nice to have a versalaser. boy gee-golly. As an avid MacModder, i stand in protest of this machine. it takes away the personality of our projects. the sense of warmth only hand made workmanship can give. This machine de-means us as MacModders. It's laser etching mocks our craftmanship, and scolds our very being. Rise up fellow modders. Hold your dremmel high and proud. don't let this machine replace us. don't let it conquer our will to creatively conspire new and intriguing (add descriptive action verby noun-ish thing here.)

so what brought on all this..? the fact that i finally got some glass etching bits for my dremel. now i know i will never be able to replicate the caliber of detail on that etched engine in the pc window. but i do think i will add a tribute of my mac modding to my desk via glass etching. i have a giant pane of glass to work with. i just better not mess up :S i should also add a pict of something i'm working on along these lines. 6in square thick glass pane. i'm trying my hand with typeface etching. should be interesting. if not just plain neat.

macDeivant

btw those 24oz Monster brand energy drinks are nifty too i'm all sorts of:woohoo:
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 06:31 AM

macDeviant said
Quote:
it takes away the personality of our projects. the sense of warmth only hand made workmanship can give

I would agree if you where talking about a fine hand crafted oak table or chair. But the thing we are working on is after all a machine! So why not avail ourselves to all the technology at our disposal? (If we could afford it;) )
I don't have a problem using a machine to mod a machine! And BTW, I am a wood worker, I love to make fine oak furniture. But the least fun part has to be HAND sanding:(

Oh yeh, is the dremel not a machine?:blink: But hey, macDeviant, you go man! I love the fact that you are going to tackle this!:woohoo:

Post edited by: anil8tor, at: 2006/01/01 15:45
Posted by: maestro

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 07:36 AM

Im with anil8tor on this one. We do not refurbish fine antiques or build hi end furniture. We build technological wonders. With that comes the need to use technology to further the quality of what we do. We do what we can with what we can to build the best. I think doing etching by hand is fantastic and it is what it is, laser work is something different. I myself am preparing some plexi for lasering, cuz i want the best and only that will do.

-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 09:43 AM

Use the right tool for the job. If you want rough engraving, then do it by hand. Otherwise use a Versalaser to get different levels of detail nearly impossible by hand. I do not see this as a machine that will replace people, but simply a tool to add detail on projects that some yearn for.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 01:01 PM

:blink: well that took a different turn than i thought it would... :P The internet just doesn't transtlate sarcasm very well i guess.

*steps up to mic and taps it* ahem "i would just like to say that my previous statements in the press against the Versalaser were made on false pretenses. i guess i had a little too much RockStar brand energy drink, and was looking for a fight. thank you very much, no further comment"

anyhow. i would like to elaborate my desk mod just a little more. the under side of the glass is painted white. and there is nearly enough room around the edges where the glass is recessed to fit some thin elwire.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 01:46 PM

Hey! I knew it was sarcasm all alongwhistle no really!:blink: I didblush
Posted by: krusher117

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 08:43 PM

:P the versalaser IS SORT OF LIKE cheating. But then again, so is a washing machinei guess
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:versalaser hundred MB protest rant - 01/01/06 09:09 PM

You know, I could almost see where you're coming from... then again, if I had a versalaser, I would just say you were jealous B)