Apple External Hard Drive?

Posted by: Arius

Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/19/05 11:21 AM

Apple makes no external hard drive right? wrong. I'm gunna make one. How? custom acrylic Case, USB to IDE adapter, and a fire wire power supply.

------------------------- __________________________
| | | |
| o o | | USB PORT F/W Port |
| | |________________________ |
| |
| |
| | The USB port will serve to connect the hard drive to the
| | computer. The fire wire has enough volts to power the
| | hard drive with a few resistors and such. So, a custom
| | Power adapter inside the case and the IDe plug to a female
| o o | USB. The o's in that drawing are screws to hold the thing
| | Together and will extend through the bottom to act as feet
|------------------------| and have rubber inside to help shock absorb. The case will be
painted white on the inside to match my iBook. and i'll add an
LED and a frosted piece of plastic so that the hard drive can
have an apple too! sweet innit?
Posted by: maestro

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/19/05 12:34 PM

That sounds great, but usb is slooooow, even in 2.0 form. FW400 beats it handily and FW800
which I know you cant do, matches up with an inboard disk as far as speed goes. I would just get an
ata-FW adaptor instead.
-maestro
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/19/05 01:18 PM

Build your own case...for flexibility go for a USB 2.0 & FW case...then add in a 7200 RPM HD. If you get a 10K drive you might want to get a case that has a fan in it. Aluminum cases look nice and they help with your heat management as well.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/19/05 03:30 PM

Sounds like a great project--if you can pull off an Apple look I'll be very impressed.

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/19/05 05:24 PM

believe me, i will. Paint works wonders. any way, i can't do fire wire cuz i don't know the pinout, and i'm doing this with parts i already have. i'll keep yall posted. and i'll make mod guide.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/19/05 11:42 PM

Firewire pinouts here if you want them:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Firewire.html
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 02:21 AM

Instead of using the power from the firewire why not just build a adatper to use the power from the power supply itself?

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 05:29 AM

If you feel like being original, maybe you could rig an ADC external drive. That has power aplenty and USB for data. Not sure if it supports USB 2.0 though....
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 08:17 AM

ADC only supplys USB 1.1 :dry:

macDeviant

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 10:54 AM

Pity. That would have been quite a good mod.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 11:49 AM

yeah that would have been sweet to beable to connect a drive through ADC I would have done it with my Cube

macDeviant
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 01:17 PM

Would that really work, connecting a hard drive to a graphics card?
Posted by: usbcd36

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 01:30 PM

Yeah, the ADC had a USB connection in it for the ports on the older ACDs. Not practical though, since the connectors are expensive and you're using a display port to do so…

Edit: Also, a FireWire drive wouldn't be too difficult, you'd just need to get an IDE to FW converter in order to use it. WiebeTech makes a (somewhat expensive) IDE tester that also supplies power to the drive.

Post edited by: usbcd36, at: 2005/12/20 21:41
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 02:25 PM

usbcd36 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, the ADC had a USB connection in it for the ports on the older ACDs. Not practical though, since the connectors are expensive and you're using a display port to do so…

I knew they had USB; I didn't know that you could run JUST USB signals through them, though. If my screen is any indication, the hubs in the old Studio Displays were crappy, because it stopped working soon after my dad bought it.

Re:Apple External Hard Drive? - 12/20/05 03:33 PM

if you guys wanted to spring for one and send it to me i'd be more then obliged. hah hah. that'd be great... maybe a homebrew usb to fire wire connect? after all it's just the port that works so slow, not the wires.