so-dimm memory mod

Posted by: TCPMeta

so-dimm memory mod - 11/12/05 12:49 PM

Well a friend of mine gave me a old IBM Thinkpad (75MHz, 24MB ram). With my bored self I opened it up to add more memory. I pulled out a old stick of so-dimm and tryed to pop it in. Well IBM had the idea to make the end knoch bigger so 3rd party memory can't lock into place.
After studing the module I noticed if I cut away a chunk of the silcon crap I can make it fit. I took a pair of nail clippers and a razor and start to chip away. After I got it to the point for it to fit I hooked it up to the charger and turned it on. It works! Now my little crumy think pad has 40MBs of ram. I'm thinking to toss DOS on it and use it for some classic games.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:so-dimm memory mod - 11/12/05 01:24 PM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
Well a friend of mine gave me a old IBM Thinkpad (75MHz, 24MB ram). With my bored self I opened it up to add more memory. I pulled out a old stick of so-dimm and tryed to pop it in. Well IBM had the idea to make the end knoch bigger so 3rd party memory can't lock into place.
After studing the module I noticed if I cut away a chunk of the silcon crap I can make it fit. I took a pair of nail clippers and a razor and start to chip away. After I got it to the point for it to fit I hooked it up to the charger and turned it on. It works! Now my little crumy think pad has 40MBs of ram. I'm thinking to toss DOS on it and use it for some classic games.

Take it on a plane, and watch as throngs of people glance at your technology in unrestrained envy!
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:so-dimm memory mod - 11/13/05 12:21 AM

One problem, no battery. Besides I get that look when I take my iBook with me on trips.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:so-dimm memory mod - 11/13/05 04:10 AM

Same thing with my 12" PowerBook, only I think it turns a few more heads. smile