$200 mactel

Posted by: TCPMeta

$200 mactel - 11/04/05 01:08 PM

Hey, I chatted with the guy that built the $200 mactel on a message board when I was doing research of OSx86. Shockingly all of his hardware works 100%. Yet I know how to get one for even less. Thats if you already have the basic parts for a PC. I lost the list to sites and stores that had all of the parts to build one that only ran $124.76.

Really and truly you can run OSx86 on a standard PC from like DELL or COMPAQ. Just need all of the hacks and the SSE3 emulation.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 02:18 AM

I was listening to a podcast the other day called two morons or two idiots or something. It was a general IT cast, not mac-specific, and the hosts very soon lived up to their name with ingenious opinions like 'Apple should have gone for AMD not Intel' and 'if SJ wants to make money, why not license OS X to Dell?' (Yeah right - a man who draws a $1 salary is clearly motivated solely by cash).
They went on to miss the point entirely several times. 'Anyone can now run OS X x86 on generic hardware - wasn't that stupid of Apple?' Never mind the fact that you will have to wipe your install and find a new hacked version every time there is a software update. Or perhaps someone has managed to get SU running now? Not heard about it if thats the case. Is this possible now?
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 04:02 AM

You all may find this a little interesting: Apple has filed for a patent that has some relevance to this issue...

whistle
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 05:22 AM

wow, thats amazing. I dont know what to say. Its a smart move on apple's part though.

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 08:09 AM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
wow, thats amazing. I dont know what to say. Its a smart move on apple's part though.

Smart move indeed. Look, I like the idea of liscensing OS X outside of Apple hardware, but it would be a very bad financial move. People are dumb and people would not justify spending money on Apple hardware if they could get the “same OS”, and in their minds the same performance, in a cheaper box. Apple receives most of its money through Hardware. Apple is, and always will be, primarily a hardware company.

So they're going to be smart. Not only will they “allow” you to dual boot windows on a system, they'll also prompt you with an option and walk you through it. Most people are intimidated by dual booting. If Apple pulls it off correctly (and they will), it will boost sales tremendously. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the option of allowing you to have windows vista/xp ( sick ) preinstalled on to your system next to Jag.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 09:33 AM

shadowboxer47 wrote:
Quote:
Apple receives most of its money through Hardware. Apple is, and always will be, primarily a hardware company.

Not quite... Apple is definitely moving towards becoming a media company, and their hardware and OS are just two of the ways they can get the media out to people. The iTunes music store is also a major source of income, and that is what they're moving towards: having media as their main source of income. They'll continue Macintosh, of course, and maybe eventually they'll come out with Granny Smith or Washington or something (:P), and they'll continue to provide the "only" hardware that will run it properly, but in the end, it'll be all about the media. As Steve Jobs has said himself many times, "It's all about the music."

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/11/05 17:34

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 10:21 AM

JediJoker7169 wrote:
Quote:
Not quite... Apple is definitely moving towards becoming a media company, and their hardware and OS are just two of the ways they can get the media out to people. The iTunes music store is also a major source of income, and that is what they're moving towards: having media as their main source of income. They'll continue Macintosh, of course, and maybe eventually they'll come out with Granny Smith or Washington or something (:P), and they'll continue to provide the "only" hardware that will run it properly, but in the end, it'll be all about the media. As Steve Jobs has said himself many times, "It's all about the music."

Media and hardware are not mutually exclusive. The iTunes music store, while it does make a lot of money, is not even close to attaining a majority of the net income of Apple; Remember, Apple does not get all $.99 of the song you download. Steve Job's reference to "It's all about the music" is in context to the iTunes/iPod/iTuneMS trio, not to Apple itself. When the Macintels debut, he won't be using that phraseology in concordance with their release.

You have to take a look at the big picture, especially in context with this recent patent application (Go ahead, read the whole patent... it'll leave you smiling). It is very short-sighted to think that because SJ at the moment is taking advantage of its huge success with ITMS that he's abandoned the company's entire "plan of battle". He's using media to sell hardware, more specifically, Macs. This is why the "halo effect" is so important, not only because it coincides with SJ plan to retake the computer industry, but also because it's working. Apple is selling at a higher rate than any other computer company in the world.

No my friend, Apple is a hardware company and will remain a hardware company while Steve is at the helm. Just because it has software peripherals, doesn’t make it a software company. Disney is a media company, Apple is not.

My two cents
:silly:

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/11/05 18:22
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:$200 mactel - 11/05/05 11:02 PM

As long apple keeps making iPods and run a online music store they will just be fine. Almost every PC user I know perfer a 3rd party OS over Windows. Sadly most of them are too lazy to switch because they're gamers.