Its a great day!

Posted by: maestro

Its a great day! - 11/04/05 12:42 AM

Well, the g45142DP mod has been sold! Im sorry to see it go, BUT I just ordered a Dual 2.0ghz from the Apple Store! I cant wait to get it.
-maestro
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 01:14 AM

man im jealous! how much did it sell for?

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 01:35 AM

Lets just say, it went for what it was worth. That includes taking it out of state, setting it up
and loading apps. Now if I could just get that 23 ACD ive been coveting.
-maestro
Posted by: neukonzept

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 03:47 AM

:huh: I feel almost saddened. Does that mean that we won't see that Part 3 write-up you had mentioned?

..Congrats on the Dual 2, though! B)
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 04:06 AM

dang, maestro!
i anticipate any mods to the G5!
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 04:06 AM

congrats on the sell and congrats on the g5
it was a slick looking mod, its sad we won't see it finished

deviant
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 04:25 AM

I'm saddened too... I wanted to see the thing finalized. But, then again, no great mod is ever completely finished. No doubt we'll see some excellent things coming wtih this G5 dualy.

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 05:29 AM

Really all I wanted to do was finish up with carbon fiber, add some more ram and overclock
the cpus again. The setup for sale is a little different than it was, because it needs to boot in OS9 too.
I will snap a few pics of it before it goes and post em up. Im already planning the G5 mods,
which will be more understated but cool none the less. Whos knows whats next. Im just
glad the mod was so well recieved. Thanks guys.
-maestro
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 06:22 AM

didja remember your applecare? smile
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 07:02 AM

whats applecare? :P

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 07:05 AM

dood. don even kid smile I had a customer bring his 17" powerbook from russia so I could replace his display, keyboard, logic board, optical drive, and several ribbon cables under warranty smile
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 01:03 PM

modyourmac wrote:
Quote:
dood. don even kid smile I had a customer bring his 17" powerbook from russia so I could replace his display, keyboard, logic board, optical drive, and several ribbon cables under warranty smile

Just curious... how many iMac G5's have you had to repair due to heating issues?

Re:Its a great day! - 11/04/05 03:59 PM

unfortunately I dont have an exact number. Not my job to count. However, the scoop is that one of apple's suppliers shipped a rather large, bad batch of capacitors that were used in power supplies and logic boards. Hence the REA status for certain machines. So, we've repaired a decent number. But thats consistent with any REA issue. A bad component makes it into manufacturing, and instead of the component supplier getting the rap, apple fixes the issue, and takes the heat.

Way I see it, its no different than the power supply replacements for Mirror Door G4's, the iBook logic board program, etc. Interestingly enough, the iMac G5 in my house, no failures whatsoever. Its perfectly solid smile

Last thought. Almost every customer that brings in a machine asks us "If we've repaired a lot of these." Or, they ask us, "Do you see a lot of this type of problem?" I always tell them that I'm the wrong person to ask, since the only machines I see are the broken ones.

If it'll put it in perspective, we replace a lot more hard drives across the spectrum of machines than we do specific parts in any one machine. Hard drives absolutely fail the most. All types and brands. We've even seen them catch fire. And by that I mean burst into flames. Buy your applecare, back up your data. Your applecare will cover your hard drive in warranty. out of warranty, buy something with a good warranty (3 years or better) While I cant promise that the logic board in your Blue & White will ever fail. I can promise you that one day you WILL loose a hard drive.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Its a great day! - 11/05/05 02:06 AM

Sound advice indeed.
I think we'ver had two G5 iMacs go back on warranty (including all revisions so far), only one was a heat/PSU issue though, the other had a weird screen problem and needed a logic board.