Ipod in car Mount

Posted by: Anonymous

Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 05:39 AM

Hi all,
I drive a 78 Nova and I would like to build a ipod mount so my ipod isn't bouncing around my seat or on my lap. What would be the best way to start? Or can anyone draw me up a idea or diagram or something sweet. I tried but nothing I do looks very good.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 06:19 AM

Welcome to MacMod, first of all. Now, do you want the mount to just hold the iPod, or do you want something that is more functional and charges the iPod and plays music through it w/o a tape adapter or anything like that?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 06:34 AM

welcome to macmod rob, good questions whitlock. I will too await a response.

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 07:35 AM

Nice to meet ya'll.

I want something that has my minijack to RCA mounted in it (soft mount) so I can still use it later if I have to. Right now I just have it strung across my car and I just pick it up and plug it in. I want somthing that my ipod sits in and that the plug is attached to. One last thing, I would like it to touch the bottom of the dash and the bottom following the contour of my transmission hump. The dimensions are approx: 10 inches high X 12 inches wide. thanks for the info and if you have any other questions about what in the devil I am trying to do let me know.

P.S. MACMOD RULES!

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 07:55 AM

I tried looking for a pic of the dashboard and could not find one. Never been in a Nova, so I would not be able to help out on anything that would match the groove. If you could post a picture that would help out a lot.

BTW you should make this your signature:

"I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old Chevy
Nova, it'll light up the night sky" - Fry, from Futurama
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 08:00 AM

I feel that it is my duty, honor, privelige and sarcastic ability to say, "Two words: Velcro."

All seriousness aside, once we see the dashboard, I'm sure we can come up with something.

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 08:02 AM

I will post one in a couple of hours when I get home. Thanks guys talk to ya'll later.
Posted by: Jias

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 08:06 AM

My housemate has a iPod Dock mounted on his dashboard.

The dock cable goes under the dash town to the cigarette lighter (inside the ashtray, so you don't see it sticking out), and then the line out goes into the Aux input on his reciever.

It's pretty slick, he puts his iPod in the dock and it powers/charges it and plays it through his reciever. However, doing this involves ripping your dash apart, but so long as you don't mind doing that, the actual technical stuff isn't, well... all that technical.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 08:18 AM

I find it very disturbing that so many of you guys have never been in a 78 Nova, When I was in my late teens the '78 was the must have for the "cool" set :silly:

Edit: BTW the Tranny "Hump" is as wide as most coffee tables. wink

Post edited by: anil8tor, at: 2005/10/26 15:20

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 10:29 AM

anil8tor wrote:
Quote:
I find it very disturbing that so many of you guys have never been in a 78 Nova.

I have not been in a lot of cars. To be truthful, I get freaked out when other people drive. I grab the handles and look down when we hit the interstate. Takes a few minutes for me to come out of my shell, but I still have freakout bouts. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

The kicker is that my father sold cars for over 10 years and I've seen plenty of them, just not the interior.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 11:36 AM

Dood, my first car was an 87 crown victoria police cruiser. Course, in '78, I was still living in Okinawa, and was under age 5. Go figure smile
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 11:51 AM

Don't ever try to sell a Nova in a Spanish-speaking country...

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/26/05 12:49 PM

Here is a pic of my interior.

Post edited by: HandsomeRob, at: 2005/10/27 17:19

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/27/05 10:22 AM

Sorry here is the pic.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/27/05 11:02 AM

make sure to hit the button "[img]" next to the browse button to insert the pic into the message. Or, just put " [img] " wherever you want the image to be.

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/27/05 11:34 AM

It showed up earlier. I wonder what happened?

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/27/05 06:22 PM

alright, sorry for earlier, My browser was being retarded it only loaded half way then kept shutting off. Maybe now you will get a picture.

Post edited by: HandsomeRob, at: 2005/10/28 01:24

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/28/05 06:22 PM

CHEAP ROUTE
Take a car mount like this (http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=46) , paint it to match the dash, and attatch it via included adhesive.

EXPENSIVE ROUTE
If you want to put some work into it, do some research into fiberglass molding.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/28/05 07:20 PM

You could also look into velcroing or attaching in some other way this standalone iPod holder:

http://www.smalldog.com/product/35533
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/29/05 01:38 AM

Ok, the iPod mount problem is more of an issue in these older cars,
frown
But the heck with that! Dude, lets see more of the '78! looks super clean :silly:

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/30/05 04:32 AM

I will post some pics of the rest of the car Sunday night when I get home from work for those of you that want a peek at what the rest looks like.

[quote] Ok, the iPod mount problem is more of an issue in these older cars,

But the heck with that! Dude, lets see more of the '78! looks super clean
Posted by: xbetterforworsex

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/30/05 05:13 AM

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea...07787&itm=1
This book has an awesome how to build a custom car mount. It'll take a few days and about $300 (they say $400-500, but you can get the supplies at places other than they list for cheaper!), but it's totaly worth it. I'm installing one when I get my new car.

Re:Ipod in car Mount - 10/30/05 03:40 PM

Here is my nova big and blue:

Post edited by: HandsomeRob, at: 2005/10/30 23:42