laptop stand

Posted by: soundmann18

laptop stand - 09/20/05 05:45 AM

I'm working on a laptop stand, I'll post some pictures when it's done, but I have 2 80 mm fans that should be at my door today and I was wondering the best way to position them - pulling air out, pushing in, opposite to each other for some circulation? Also, I'm using a 12" aluminum pb, do you know where the hottest parts are? If you've got any suggestions, post up, otherwise I guess I'll just try a couple of options and run temperature monitor for a while.

Thanks
Posted by: maestro

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 08:12 AM

The case is basically a giant heatsink, thats why it gets so hot. The hottest parts are probably the hd and cpu. Depending on how your stand works, I would have cool are running onto the book. Make sure it can vent the hot air out though. Good luck, cant wait to see the pics.
-maestro
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 08:22 AM

Have the fans suck air so the air hits the laptop. That's how most laptop coolers work. I'm thinking to build one myself and add a USB switch and other things. Might wbd up with a docking station.

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 10:12 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
Have the fans suck air so the air hits the laptop. That's how most laptop coolers work. I'm thinking to build one myself and add a USB switch and other things. Might wbd up with a docking station.

ahha - great minds think alike it would seem whistle unfortunately my fan's aren't yet here. argh

also, i really think apple may uprgrade your shipping and not charge you for it and not tell you about it. I order iLife the other day (with UPS), midnight on a thursday with 5 day economy shippng and it was here tuesday morning. Meanwhile this piece is supposed to be here today and it still isnt.

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 10:14 AM

Where did you order it from? The fans I mean.
-maestro[url]

Post edited by: maestro, at: 2005/09/20 19:13
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 11:48 AM

you might have a look at this thread.

http://www.macmod.com/component/option,c...0/limitstart,0/
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 12:24 PM

Sorry to be redundant, but be sure to post the final product. I also have a 12" PB that I would like to create a good cooler for. Currently, I'm using a sheet of paperboard with cork halves (sliced lengthwise) across each orner, and it doesn't really seem to help. Like maestro said, the wntire case acts as a heatsink, unlike the iBook, where there is more space on the inside and airflow is more effective. You'd think that Apple could have figured out that they already had a good case design and just gone with different materials. Oh well...

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 12:47 PM

ahh finally came - unfortunately i have a quiz to do by 10, hopefully it takes 2 minutes

and most definitely i'll post the final

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 01:11 PM

I got a killer idea myself. I tryed modding my iMac to fit in a xbox case. Well no luck there. A new idea hit me just now. I have quite a few IDE to USB converters and also a extra 5 port USB hub. Well heres the idea, it's funky but I think it's going to be neat. This idea is mostly a USB based docking station. Use the extra xbox case I have and stuff the DVD+RW I pulled from a messed up system at work. and also add a HD for backup use with the 5 port hub. On the top of the case will be the laptop cooler. Add two 120mm fans one or two 80mm fans on the back of the case. Also I could add or splice in some USB ports on the hub to have ports where the xbox controlers plug in.

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 02:26 PM

I like that TCP. how will you rest a laptop on the xbox case though?

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 03:17 PM

that would be awesome - my project is going well, just taking a break to let the drill battery charge - on that note, if you ever try to cut a large circle in acrylic, it takes a lot of battery.

About the shipping earlier, I ordered them from new egg in CA, so it's fine by me that it took till now to get here, i'm just saying that whenever i order mac stuff it always comes in a day or two early

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 06:26 PM

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/09/21 01:31

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 06:30 PM

just finished everything that can be done until i go home for thanksgiving (and have access to a heat gun) i have a lot of homework that i should have been doing in the past 3-4 hours, but instead, i made a kick ass laptop stand. Here's a quick thing to make you all amazed:

:cheer: !!!!!! I put the laptop on the stand then started temperature monitor too, so that's after a bit of delay. also, the graphics processor is moving up and down because i just plugged in my second monitor. Anyways, this was a great project, and I'll put up the pictures tomorrow

Re:laptop stand - 09/20/05 06:48 PM

I made a better picture, again, placed on the stand at the beginning of the lines

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 12:36 AM

Quote:
I like that TCP. how will you rest a laptop on the xbox case though?

I may use velcrow or just some real gummy like rubber so it stays in place. I hardlt use the iBook keyboard as it is so the iBook would hardly move.

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 02:53 AM

alright, some pictures

with a flash

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 02:54 AM

Without a flash

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 02:55 AM

just the stand - I attached the top to the bottom with hinges so I can change the height depening on where I am - also, it's propped up on a box of nails for now, I'm going to have to find a better way to do that.

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/09/21 10:03

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 03:00 AM

just the connections - the wires are currently held with scotch tape - that's definitely going to change, any suggestins? also, I plan on getting a 2 Ohm resistor which gives me the right voltage drop/current to run the usb hub. and then I want to bend up the front 1/2 inch - 1 inch and pull one of those usb port up to the front, add a switch for the led's, and maybe a variable resistor so i can control speed.

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 03:01 AM

Nice!!!

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 03:06 AM

one more thing - i now have a couple of circles of acrylic as well as a 2.5x3 foot sheet, what can i use it for?

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 03:14 AM

Looks great. Acrylic is great for modding. You can use it to make windows in your cases. I would just hold onto it and you will need it for something.
-maestro
Posted by: thavok

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 03:47 AM

Great mod if i was holding onto my iBook I might think about doing something like this.

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 04:54 AM

looks cool man. Take us a side angle shot so we can see that. Looks like the fans work well too. yea, hang onto that arcrylic, you will find a use.

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 07:02 AM

here are some side shots - also, i just returned from the auction down here and I got a nice keyboard tray - unfortunately, it was attached to a desk, so I'll have to get that together soon, and then my desk will be set.

Re:laptop stand - 09/21/05 07:03 AM

Posted by: burtman

Re:laptop stand - 09/22/05 07:30 AM

Possibley a bit late for your project but for the people with metal based PowerBooks (ie not me with my plastic iBook) it might be worth investigating the possibility of using large heat sinks to rest the bottom of the 'book on. Coupled with some fans pulling/pusing air might be quite effective.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:laptop stand - 09/22/05 09:23 AM

I was actually thinking of building something like that out of aluminum. The bottom would be solid, the sides mesh, and the top solid with two fans inside. If possible, I would build-in the hardware from my BookEndz docking station on one end and maybe splice power from it so as to keep my desk relatively uncluttered. Since I use a screen, keyboard, and mouse, the 'Book is usually closed on my desk, unless Bluetooth isn't working. The cooler would also need to rest flat on the desk, so as to accomidate my setup. I have relatively little experience with modding/building electronics, though, so I would need mny pointers. And on the subject of Bluetooth, do any other PowerBook or iBook (or I suppose even PowerMac, iMac, and Mac mini) owners have a proble with their computer spontaneously losing track of Bluetooth hardware or firmware? Sometimes after a manual shutdown/restart or even after a proper one, the Bluetooth card in my 12" AlBook will disappear for reasons unknown. I haven't yet addressed this to the Apple Store geniuses, although I have meant to about three times now. I keep forgetting to ask that question when I go in for answers to others.

Re:laptop stand - 09/30/05 09:10 AM

I was thinking of putting in a pot on the front of the stand to control the fan speed - does anyone know how to wire that? My fans are three wire, so my guess is i take the third wire to one end of the pot and then the other end to the common ground.

Edit: on the pot(entiometer) note -I found two good sites that sell stuff like that for a lot cheaper than radio shack: Futurlec and Mouser

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/09/30 16:13

Re:laptop stand - 09/30/05 09:12 AM

You could buy a pci fan controller and detach it from the slot cover.
-maestro

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 12:08 PM

So I got a heat gun and dremmel for my birthday, so i decided to re-do the stand. Here are some pictures:

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 12:09 PM

Lights off

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 12:12 PM

and before i put the fans & usb hub in

with the extra space in the front I have a sliding potentiometer to use for a fan control, a switch for the LEDs and I'll pull one of the usb ports up to the front. Unfortunately, the pot that i've got is too strong (10k Ohm) so I've ordered a smaller one that should work.

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 12:22 PM

looks sweet man!

is that a stack of fake money you got there?

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 12:29 PM

it's a box of chocolates from disney world (or, a souvenier shop in the airport) - my mom was in orlando on business.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 12:46 PM

Very nice!

Re:laptop stand - 10/18/05 01:12 PM

Thats cool. Dont you love it when you find things like that.
-maestro
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:laptop stand - 10/19/05 04:22 AM

it's sad i have two heatguns a dremmel, and no budget for plexi frown ahh the married life :woohoo:

GREAT JOB on this. looks very clean, which is something lacking in a few mods.

deviant

Re:laptop stand - 10/19/05 04:54 AM

the 2x4 sheet that I got was like $20, and thanks for the general appreciation from all ya'll

Re:laptop stand - 10/29/05 03:21 PM

So last night my order from Futurlec came in - So i put in the fan controller slider - it's still too large of a resistor, I only move the slider about a quarter the length to go from full on to off. So I may get another one at some point, but for now I'm broke and it's not really worth it. Also, the USB port I mounted doesn't seem to be working, it get's power, but not the info signal, i.e. the mouse I plugged into it lit up but didn't work (it did work when I plugged it in elsewhere)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the switch on the right is for the lights, and next time I make it out to the hardware store I'll get the screws for the slider and pull out that hot glue.

Edit part 2: by right I do mean left. Or stage right, yeah, let's go with that.

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/10/29 22:22

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/10/29 22:24