Modding Injuries

Posted by: maestro

Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 01:53 AM

As most of you know I severely broke my leg last week. That distracted me from posting a recent mod injury. I was scraping some double sided tape out of my case with a steel pick when I slipped and punctured the top of my thumb. I drove that spike throught skin and tenden down to the bone. OUCH! That is probably the worst of the injuries from the G45 case mod. :pinch: Anyone else got any great mod injuries?
-maestro
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 02:24 AM

i just painted my pro mouse gold and during drying, some dust got inside.
i decided to remove the paint altogether with some paint thinner and cotton balls
earlier that day i had cut my hands at work with a box cutter, and some of the
paint thinner got inside....
paint thinner doesn't do a body good
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 02:41 AM

destructospin wrote:
Quote:
i just painted my pro mouse gold and during drying, some dust got inside.
i decided to remove the paint altogether with some paint thinner and cotton balls
earlier that day i had cut my hands at work with a box cutter, and some of the
paint thinner got inside....
paint thinner doesn't do a body good

Something similar happened to me, but not as painful as yours maestro.

Ever notice how when you're messing with a case, you get cuts all over your fingers and you have no clue where they came from? Yeah, that was me with a Mac Classic that I'm converting to a macquarium for my kid brother.

Then, comes some chemicals... yeah.... :ohmy:
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 03:21 AM

I guess I'm gonna have to injur myself....I feel left out laugh

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 03:46 AM

if you do hurt yourselff, atleast do something cool in the process!

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 03:54 AM

I've always wanted to take apart a monitor and shock myself in the process! :pinch:
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 04:14 AM

Well lets see here. I've hurt myself plenty of times while trying to mod a PC.

Once I got shocked with a 68watt power supply from a xbox while trying to move my mod chip around.

Had a shelf fall on top of me when I was trying to fit a mobo into a a home built case. Don't know why the shelf fell over. I didn't even touch itlol.

A air compressed saw got caught on some metal and twisted the hell out of my hand.

Got burnt countless times with a sodier iron.

Steped on a pair of curved needle noses plyers when i went to go take a break from working on a laptop mod.

Stabed myself with a hobby knife when I got a kller shock from a car battery. That happen from when I installed a car alarm and a charger for my laptop in my car and I was triming the electrical tape with the hobby knife.

Almost lost three centermeters of my left thumb on a sharp ass chunck of metal from a computer case.

Heres my fav. Modifying a power cable from a boombox to work on my PS1. I was using a razor and sliped that caused the ravor to cut into my index and thumb about 1CM. One of my friends watch me do this and said "holy cow dude!" I just went and grabed a few bandaids and whet into the bathroom and I put on the bandaids. Well the blood wouldn't let the bandaids stick to my skin so I called blake to grab the elec tape. I put on a fresh bandaid then wraped the tape on. When I pulled the tape so it would break off blood squrted out onto the mirror. I thought to my self "I've had worse" meanwhile blake was puking his guts out.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 04:22 AM

i was trying to pry part of my beige g3 case apart... with my knife. :blink: yeah not too smart, i sliced my index finger to the bone. didn't want my parents to find out so i got some steri-strips put as small a band-aid as i could find to cover the steri-strip and left it at that...

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 04:32 AM

macdeviant, you're just an accident waiting to happen!
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 04:35 AM

Most recent one was breaking my toe
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 05:16 AM

speaking of knives, I was trying to cut one of those crimp-ties, as I call them. As I was pulling the knife towards me, trying to cut it it happended and I couldn't stop the knife in time. I ended up stabbbing meyself in my left palm. Still got a nice scar from that one.

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2005/09/14 12:18
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 06:37 AM

heh, I shouldnt be up for consideration in this category. my proximity to damaged machines is way high on a daily basis. At work we've had monitors arc with bolts of electricity, cracked CRT's hard drives burst into flames, shards of glass, plastic and metal, etc. I open a new wound probably every week, courtesy of sharp case edges or solder points. So, that we're gonna leave out.

Best I've done so far was when I was cutting airbrush mask on an ipod backplate. my brand new x-acto blade hit a nick in the metal, and jumped, my forward motion and proximity caused me to slice open the skin on my right thumb palm side, between the basal knuckle and the center one. I went clean through the skin. Luckily, I managed to miss everything else.

Now, imagine a moron like me, my hand wrapped in paper towels, driving to the hospital with my hand above my head, smoking a cigarette, bleeding everywhere. I didnt know I could make a u-turn while driving with my knee :silly:

Anyway, long story short, they washed it out, sealed me up with derma-bond skin glue, (irrational phobia of needles, stitches were not happening) and gave me pain killers. I was one handed for 3 weeks while my skin pulled together. Now, I have an inch long scar, and some minor tissue buildup around the wound.

The morals? 1)Always cut away from yourself. 2) even when cutting away, wear cut proof gloves. 3) when putting a new blade in your knife, give yourself a tiny prick, and taint the blade. Once it's had blood, it usually wont strike again. :evil:

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 06:47 AM

blood makes me woozy....otherwise I'd still be in school right now...well on my way to being a rich doctor.

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 06:52 AM

College made me woozy. Otherwise, I'd be a highly paid graphic desi....nevermind. I'm always in awe of the fact that when I started my college career, digital art was new, and highly paid. When I was in my senior year, the market was totally different, and there was a glut of talented people. Good thing I know how to fix em too. laugh
Posted by: maestro

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/14/05 08:35 AM

This is not a mod injury but its a great story none the less. Well, I sort got in a fight and punched through a window. Bad idea. I have a 5 inch scar that required 27 stiches inside and out. I cut though veins and tendons. Took me six months to recover. The scar is cool though.
My advice, if you must drink excessively and someone confronts you to fight....RUN! B)
-maestro

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/15/05 08:53 AM

destructospin wrote:
Quote:
macdeviant, you're just an accident waiting to happen!

this is all too true
:woohoo:
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/15/05 10:59 AM

OK so I was opening up this iMac one day...oh heck I'm the guy who can't make it down the stairs without 6 screws and two pins in the foot and three months on my butt. I just won't get started... :P
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/15/05 11:15 AM

I'm starting to think with all of these knife injuries that modders should be required to get a Toten Chip.

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2005/09/15 18:19

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/15/05 11:33 AM

HAH that thing brings back memories. i was using my knife to do something, and my scout leader came up to me and told me i shouldn't be using a knife like that. he wanted to cut a corner off my totin chip. i took it out of my wallet, ripped it into several small pieces and threw them at him.... then went back to what i was doing... :S

i wasn't the nicest boy scout in the troop :blink:

deviant

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/15/05 12:20 PM

Okay, so I'm laughing at the moment. How many of us were boy scouts? Better than that, how many of us looked at it not as personal betterment, and honorable scouting, but as having your own badly trained swat team on a sugar bender?

I dunno about the rest of you, but my scoutmaster gave up on the totin chip thing when he realized I could juggle throwing knives, and was teaching the other guys. He drew the line at throwing axes though laugh But He DID appreciate my ability to breathe fire with a mouth full of rubbing alcohol, and my ability to keep 30 other kids in line, in check, and out of trouble with my antics. go figure...

god I miss those days, I dont think I've blown a decent fireball since I was 18. whistle Wait, no, my icon is from 2 years ago. Nevermind.

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/15/05 02:27 PM

you blew stuff up too eh...? me and friend made our own hindeberg, with hydrogen, burning GI Joe, and all the other goodies

that fire ball must have been about 10 feet wide..i think my friend is still waiting for his eyebrows to grow back :woohoo:

i do love scouting, especialy that science meritbadge

deviant
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Modding Injuries - 09/16/05 12:09 AM

[censored]. Their scout master tryed calling the cops but but I guess he didn't have a signal.