Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundSticks

Posted by: JediJoker7169

Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundSticks - 08/28/05 09:06 AM

How would one go about painting a 15" Apple Studio Display from the inside? What types of paint are necessary? And for Harman/Kardon SoundSticks? I want to paint them both black, but have no idea where to begin. I was thinking I might also try to replace the graphite-colored Apple logo in the display with an original raindow one. Does anyone know where to find one the correct size?

Re:Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundStic - 08/28/05 02:39 PM

Well, I suppose, but the idea is that eventually, my PB will be sent into ColorWarePC to be painted black, and I'm going to do a rainbow makeover on the Apple logo, so I was hoping to mod the screen and speakers to match that. I agree, though: white is a nice match for most Macs.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundStic - 08/28/05 04:20 PM

I've never seen it done, but it seems simple enough. Like an iBook, those items are made of clear polished plastic....unlike an iBook, it isn' painted. It should be a "simple" task of taking them apart and painting the inside with any sort of model car spray paint. You an find small cans of spray paint at any hobby shop. The usually have a good selection of colors and the paint is really high quality. That's what I do for iBooks that I mod.

Re:Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundStic - 08/30/05 12:09 PM

How many coats of paint do you usually use?
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundStic - 08/30/05 01:00 PM

I've done 2-3 on the ibooks. You'll be able to judge with your eye. Paint it then let it dry then analyze it carefully. I know you'll need at least 2 coats
Posted by: maestro

Re:Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundStic - 08/30/05 01:21 PM

Cool. I like the idea that you are color matching them black. Make sure to do a mod guide, Im
interested in seeing the completed mod.
-maestro

Re:Painting Apple Studio Display and H/K SoundStic - 08/30/05 02:17 PM

Anyone want to join me on this one? Or at least on the screen? It doesn't matter what size yours is, as long as it's an LCD Apple Studio Display, and paint it whatever color you like. But seeing as I am next to a newbie in the modding community, it would be nice to have a partner in crime, or voiding warranty, or whatever.