Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses

Posted by: JediJoker7169

Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/19/05 08:13 AM

Can you do that? It seems silly that Apple didn't include support for that in the program itself, but since they didn't, I need some other way to do it. My house has three stereo systems and for a party I've got coming up, I need to play something on all three. Anyone have any ideas? And if it requires actual code editing, I'm at a loss. I'm no programmer, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/19/05 09:46 AM

a high powered fm modulator would do the trick, or some sort of netcasting over LAN.

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/19/05 05:01 PM

That's all fine and good, but I was actually looking for a software fix, not hardware. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get an FM transmitter or something. I hope not, though... I'm really not very well self-funded.

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/20/05 10:56 AM

given that there are computers at each point, netcasting would be a software fix, considering that you have a network setup.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/20/05 11:32 AM

there is a program called AIRFOIL by rouge amoeba... it will sound from any program to the airport express. it's 25 bucks. You can play music from the host computer and the express, though i'm not sure if it will send to more than one express at a time... handy program anyhow .
best of luck to your endevor

macDeviant

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/08/20 18:32

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/20/05 06:27 PM

Well, unfortunately, Airfoil only works for single broadcast. My guess is the problem lies with AirPort itself, because it can only send/receive unisignally. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems probable. Otherwise multiple broadcast would have been incorporated into iTunes a while ago. And pardon the ignorance, but I'm not sure what you're referring to by "netcasing." But anyway, if the problem is what I think it is, then perhaps it would be possible to broadcast to multiple Expresses if you had multiple wireless cards in your compy. If that's the case, then maybe I can mod my dad's comp to accomidate.

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/21/05 07:36 AM

you can install software on your mac to enable itunes to act like a radio station. So, virtually it will broadcast whatever the main computer is playing. You can set this up on a LAN and "netcast" to your other systems. Just use the other systems to connect to the main system via itunes like an internet radio station.

Just be sure to set the kbps really high. Your LAN should be able to handle it.

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/21/05 08:45 AM

What would this software be and where can I find it?

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/21/05 04:02 PM

check out...

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

also, probably better suited for you is...

http://www.tunesatwork.com/

there are some other ones too. A google search just pulled up these two first. Good luck.

Re:Modding iTunes to Play on Multiple Expresses - 08/21/05 04:49 PM

Well, I tried using both the built-in iTunes broadcast and Airfoil, but the iTunes signal cancelled out the Airfoil signal. But it seemed like Airfoil was really trying to simultaneously send to the other Express. So my guess is the problem lies with the hardware, in which case, I guess I'll have to try using Nicecast and use both of the house computers. Tunes At Work is still in development because of a change in library information. Oh well... Thank you for your help, Jacob.