Pear PC Demo Video

Posted by: oojacoboo

Pear PC Demo Video - 01/21/05 03:53 AM

Have a look at how slow this Demo is of Pear PC.

http://www.danamania.com/temp/pearpc.mp4
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Pear PC Demo Video - 01/21/05 04:10 AM

I believe it is also running on a high end Athlon AMD processor. PearPC is revolutionary but leaves a lot to be desired at this point.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Pear PC Demo Video - 01/21/05 01:43 PM

Hmm. Well, if windows users want the Mac OS, why not just buy a Mac to run it on.
-Maestro

Post edited by: maestro, at: 2005/01/21 23:09

Re:Pear PC Demo Video - 01/21/05 03:48 PM

I definitely see the market for a good mac emulator. Its an awesome way to get the mac onto a pc for the windows user to take a look at the mac without having to invest in one. There are lot of PC users who would feel more comfortable with it on their PC (small investment) in order to test it out. Also, it would make teaching mac-based classes easier. If you have a lab of PCs and want to teach someone about iMovie or do a tutorial on the Mac OS, you can do that with existing hardware.

Re:Pear PC Demo Video - 01/21/05 03:49 PM

This is a product that I think Apple should make....similar to how Microsoft "makes" virtual PC
Posted by: maestro

Re:Pear PC Demo Video - 01/21/05 03:58 PM

Apple is a hardware and software based company. If the are going to make OSX pc they might as well stop making the hardware too. Microsoft has nothing to lose by making mac/pc emualtor-they don't have their own PC line to lose money one, oh and they pretty much rule the world.
-Maestro
Posted by: ddew

Re:Pear PC Demo Video - 01/24/05 12:12 AM

I think krusher has a good point. I tried osx on pearpc and went out and bought me a flat-screen imac and powermac just because I loved the os so much.

It's one thing to try it out in a shop, if you have your own install you can tweak it to really fit your style of work. My experience with osx has previously only been at school, like basic word-processing etc. The problem was that those systems were really locked down and left little to play around with. On pearpc I could install 3rd party software, tinker around in netinfo and try all sorts of cool hacks.

So in short, if apple decided to port osx or release an emulator it wouldn't be that much of a problem in sales. The hardware in macs (atleast with osx) is far superior compared to pcs, seeing how the os is written for certain configurations. If they would release a x86 port it wouldn't run as fast or have all the benefits macs have so we would basically have a situation where they would say: "Ok, we have a great os that also runs on x86. But if you want the extras, all the icing on the cake if you will, you need to have a mac.".

I don't really see how that would hinder the sale of macs.